Sticky switch cleanup for 360.. This really works... Pretty easily! | FerrariChat

Sticky switch cleanup for 360.. This really works... Pretty easily!

Discussion in '360/430' started by GordonF355, Jul 6, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    #1 GordonF355, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have read all the threads on this subject both here and on the other forum and Just wanted to share what worked for me trying to clean up the stickies:

360 Modena:

4 switch unit on left drivers side - Pull each switch out and label what goes with what connector. I used Denatured Alcohol and white cotton rags on the switches and the housing and it worked like a charm. Keep turning the cloth and reapplying the alcohol and it dissolves the rubber leaving a nice matt finish

5 round dash vent rings - spend the $20 at AutoZone and buy a trim removal kit with 5 different plastic tools to remove trim etc. Worth it! Pull out the vent rings straight out carefully noting where the white arrows are. You want to put them back in the same location. Clean rings with white cotton rag and Denatured alcohol or Krud Kutter. Pop them back in. Done.

Door handles - remove the leather on bottom of handle tray and unscrew the 2 phillips screws and carefully pull out the housing. I left switch in place and cleaned while in vehicle. Also used Denatured alcohol or Krud Kutter here.

Window switches - remove the 2 torx screws on surround and pull out. Carefully pry out the switches and disconnect and clean with Denatured Alcohol or Krud butter. Reassemble. Done.

Small side dash vents - pop out carefully with the trim tools, put microfiber towel on top of leather just in case. Those suckers are in there pretty tight so take your time. Also Denatured Alcohol or Krud Kutter. pop them back in.

I tried all the other suggested products. Goof Off - did not like it, it smeared alot but was not as good as the products I used. Brake cleaner - mixed results. Oven cleaner - works good also but that stuff is nasty. Buy some cheap Nitrile plastic gloves to wear.

All of these items are total diy - no need to send them off and spend lots of money. Believe me the finish looks great as it should after this is done! These pictures are in their raw form. I will put some kind of plastic protectant on them tomorrow.

Here is one pic of the switches before and after. Thank god I am done with this though! I know this was discussed here numerous times but this definitely worked for me!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Great before and after pics. I found denatured alcohol works well too. I have done a few things on my 360. Takes a bit of patience and gentle rubbing, but the results are good. I also found that a bit of metal polish ... I used Semichrome ... is really good to get fine scratch marks off plastic. Buffs up to nice sheen.

Steve

neil e dale likes this.
  3. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    Great tips. I think I know what I'm doing this weekend!

4. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    just like new. Gordon few question for you. which stuff did you like the most for cleaning up the parts.
    I know some of them is harscher chemical that can removed the writing.
    and also please share what kind of plastic protection did you used after the cleaning.

5. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    please share some pic if you decide to do it.

6. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    euro_kink: My favorite stuff to use was Denatured Alcohol. I bought it at Lowes for $8. Buy the white cotton rags there also - they worked great! I think some of the plastics / coatings varied...
    For instance the steering column surround I did first before I had the denatured alcohol and it was a bear to clean that one. I used Goof off, brake cleaner on it and I think i scrubbed some of the plastic layer off in one part because i was getting impatient and getting bit aggressive! I ever used a sanding sponge ( which I don't recommend in retrospect) which turned the plastic somewhat gray. I put some plastic restorer on it and it turned black immediately but now that part is too shiny for my liking. So I did some research and ordered Rust-Oleum 223717 Paint For Plastic Textured Spray, Black, 12-Ounce from eBay which some other people recommended and that should arrive tomorrow. I play on spraying the surround after I clean all the greasy stuff back off. I will post some pics when finished!

Lettering / Decals: The white symbols on the 4 switches (Sport, rear fog etc) and the window switches are not decals that are on top of switch so you can scrub away on them without fear of removing the decals. Now the door locks have white decals on them that will rub right off. Mine were already partially removed so I decided to just scrub them off. Same on the 5 dash vent rings - the little arrow will come off immediately also so I just avoided that area and did the rest. Looks fine. It really is an easy DIY project that is pretty rewarding and inexpensive. Just remember to wear some gloves - some of my fingers still are a little black from when I first started without gloves!

neil e dale likes this.
  7. euro_king

euro_king Formula Junior

Mar 18, 2009
    San Jose, Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jastien Weiss
    thanks for the the detail explanation. will try it out on my spare time. keep us posted.

8. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I assume this will/worked on your ashtray as well? Seems that is my only real problem area on my 04...

neil e dale likes this.
  9. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the motivation and your experience. Need to do this as well.

Those look excellent.

neil e dale likes this.
  10. GordonF355

GordonF355 Formula 3

Aug 13, 2005
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Thanks! I did not work on the ashtray as the previous owner had it replaced! I will post some more pics when I get around to it!

11. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    Did mine last night, Denatured Alcohol. Saved hundreds if not thousands of $$$!
    I was surprised how little effort resulted in a great finish. Much thanks for the suggestion and push to tackle a relatively simple job!

neil e dale likes this.
  12. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    Hmmm I wish you had made a you tube demo, that would have been awesome.

13. bikz

bikz Formula 3

Mar 2, 2012
    Malaysia
    thanks for the great tip.....my 348 needs some working..

14. enio45

enio45 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2004
    Gilbert, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ed
    How does that top small vent on each side of the dash come out? It is about 3 inches long....seems there is a clip somewhere?

a pick of the part out of the car would be helpful!!

15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Denatured alcohol..... $7.99 at amazon! On the way!

16. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    Same here

17. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    ...and if you buy your rags from Costco wash and dry them first before using. The have more of a grit and absorption quality to them after washing. It's probably the same for other packaged terry rags. Be prepared to clean your lint screen!!!!

18. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Anyone who doesn't want to mess with the chemicals and mess, give us a call or email for pricing. We will also replace any lost symbols, lettering, numbers, etc on the panels.

19. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I just did the steering column covers off and you are correct, it really takes a while on that one, this is what I did, first denatured alcohol and from time to time I washed the part and I used dish degreasers and a scotch brite, that really helps remove the already loose plastic.
    Also at the end I used goo gone and I worked it with my hands, you can feel small areas with plastic and you can remove them either with your fingers or your nails, and at the end I washed it again with the scotch brite

BUT I rubbed too strong one of the door locks, and now it has a small white area, I think I will try the plastic restorer first and if it looks weird I will paint it, is there an easy way to take them off instead of working in the car?
    Thanks

20. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Has anyone done their HVAC panel? I did my knobs, and they came out great, but I'd also like to "de-sticky" the HVAC panel itself, and am scared of rubbing off the symbols and numbers. What is the approved solution here?
    Same for the buttons on the center console.....

21. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Does anybody know if the lettering and numbers on HVAC panel will rub off with denatured alcohol? How about the lettering/symbols around the manettino switch?

22. Doctor Mark

Doctor Mark Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2005
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Mark Gronsbell
    I removed the sticky from the manettino switch on my 599 with alcohol and light pressure without problem. No noted deterioration with lettering etc. Any solution for a sticky "R" or "A" button?

23. jackgt

jackgt Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2015
    california
    Full Name:
    Jack
    After cleaning I am having good success with spraying textured plastic paint on the parts. after drying for a day I wipe carefully with alcohol and it comes out not smooth but just a little textured like the originals.

Cali-Dan likes this.
  24. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I had done most of my interior parts with Zep Industrial Purple a while back. A couple of weeks ago I opened the glove box and had a mess of 'tar' on my finger. I thought it would be easier and safer to remove the latch assembly so as not to mess up the leather. I had to remove the whole panel/hinge ass'y, but the latch came off very easy. Zep did a quick job getting the gooey tar off and looks great. I did have a h*ll of a time to get the assembled panel back on the car. Stuff just did not line up properly, had to get longer screws to mount the hinge to the door panel and four tries to get the door to align to the dash and trim lines. What a pain, Thank you Ferrari! Insult on top of the crappy 'paint' that should have been discontinued a long time ago!!!

25. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Anyone?