Still looking for a 355 / 550 Sony OEM radio / CD player. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Still looking for a 355 / 550 Sony OEM radio / CD player.

Discussion in '348/355' started by hjp, Feb 15, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Oh so its the trim plate you guys are referring too.

2. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I think so but that angled trim will only fit the Sony so it's a complete package

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    #53 308 GTB, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, that's a 550 trim. Here's the Ferrari/Sony XR-F20 in my 1999 550...

Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Fair enough.

Personally I cant justify the premium for what really is just a trim piece though.

5. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    The Becker is a fine radio, no doubt about that, and they were a 355 OEM option, that's also true. I also agree it looks appropriately in a Ferrari. But it, like most other aftermarket radios that could be used in a 355, is a standard DIN size, basically a rectangular face of stock DIN proportions. All DIN radios have exactly the same dimensions and face plate shape so they will fit any standard DIN opening.

Although the Sony chassis is standard DIN, its face plate is not. Its size and shape is much smaller and different than a DIN. Instead, it fits inside the OEM Ferrari radio frame (item 2 in the diagram, part # 65409000) which is not a standard DIN shape and will not fit anything but a Sony. Instead, this frame encapsulates the smaller Sony face within its inside opening and then duplicates the outer leather cowl dimensions and shape around its outer perimeter, fitting tightly up against the leather cowl on each side and bottom and under the gauge frame above.

The Becker certainly fits the radio opening within the cowl but, being a standard rectangular DIN size, does not fit up against the cowl and gauge frame surrounding it, instead leaving gaps. Not that this looks especially bad, it looks fine. But IMHO it just does not fit as well as the Sony in its frame and doesn't have as "custom" a look, one that IMHO looks more deliberately made for a 355.

Look carefully at some photos of them both and you will see what I am referring to. I suppose which one you like is a matter of personal opinion. Me....I like the Sony.

6. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
  7. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
  8. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    It's a good radio and tape deck, Jerry. CDs skip driving over the slightest road irregularities, though. Hope you get it.

Barry

9. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
  10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I got a pm from a new fchatter telling me to email so and so as he got a good deal from him on the radio. I email this person who sends me two pics of the radio no harness and says $500 , wire transfer payment.

I asked for pics of the 355 trim and the harness and sent him a pic of the trim to which he says they are included but no pics . Then silence for the rest of the day.

Heads up

11. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That sucks. If you go check out the for sale section there are some warnings about scammers doing exactly that. Sorry.

12. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I waited the whole day to say anything but I'll let the mods know about the shill with 3 posts in fchat who told me to contact xyz @email.com

I didn't fall off the hay wagon yesterday ....

13. Merano

Merano Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Metrowest, MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Bob,

Ebay has one - ITem # 182043715289. Currently at around $580.00 and 9 days to go.

14. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    #64 drbob101, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's a pic of the Sony in that 4700 mile blue spider at Black Horse. I think it's safe to assume that it's the original install.

Note the trim piece is not the asymmetrical one in the pic I posted above but the rectangular one.

This is a 1997. That asymmetrical trim may be a tough find Jerry

Whoops. Hold the presses. Just noted that it's not the Ferrari branded model. ������
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Thank you John. That popped up on my saved search thing the moment it was posted.

16. hjp

hjp Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2013
    Kansas City, Mo.
    Full Name:
    Jerry Peterson
    That asymmetrical trim may be a tough find Jerry

Bob,

I already have a new one that I bought almost 3 years ago from Eurospares. It came on an OEM Ferrari shrink wrapped plastic card. When I opened it, surprise, surprise, it was STICKY all over!! Who knows how long it had sat on Ferrari's parts shelf before I bought it. Anyway, along with a bunch of other things, I had Dave refinish it so now its perfect and ready for its radio mate.

Eurospares still lists them available at a reasonable price if you wind up needing one. I believe its mislabeled on their site and is actually for the Sony since a Becker has no use for one.