Maserati Khamsin | Page 248 | FerrariChat

Maserati Khamsin

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by Maeter, Feb 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    BTW not sure I said thank you...... so. THANK YOU Marc.
    A good read.

I did get to drive it a bit last summer to familiarize myself (of which I obviously have much more to do)... and by your description. My car is driving like it should except the steering as it does not yet get heavier at speed. Will be the last mechanical thing fixed in a few of weeks if all goes to plan). Merci,
    Richard

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

2. Pinballking2

Pinballking2 Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Bronxville, NY
    Full Name:
    Andrew ORourke
    #6177 Pinballking2, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes ,my IPad will not run flash and that is the program it opens with.
    Too bad.
    But I have their number now and will be giving Top Gun a call, aka Gary.

Question for the Khamsin Braintrust?
    Why do some K's have overlapping wipers, and some are oriented east to west?
    I see in the brochures on Ivans website, which is great,
    Euro pictures show cars with both types of wipers?
    My American has them both parked in the center, overlapping configuration .
    Who has the answer?
    Probably the one in France...
    Inquiring minds want to know
    Thanks
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Otto Paulsen

Otto Paulsen Karting

Dec 9, 2009
    Europe
    Great!!! Thanks for this, Jack! I'll get in touch with Campana on monday.
    Best regards,
    O

4. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Who me?! Sacrebleu I am innocent I did not do it, I have an alibi, my hands were in my pockets:)!

There is nothing of importance in this other than the fact that a different supplier of wiper motors and hence wiping direction was chosen at some point once or twice. The cars were for the most part actually assembled at Bertone and only the final mechanical assembly took place in Modena.
    It is well known that suppliers changed often, that whatever was on the shelf was fitted and even though this was rationalized a lot when Citroen put some order starting in 1968-69 in the previous chaos there are still variations. As mentioned here several times when researching minutiae for my book Cozza was unable to find an answer as to why some fairly early Euro cars have a vented nose while some later Euro cars have smooth noses. Same goes for seat type.
    Modena is in Italy land of improvisation not Japan or Germany, those responsible for parts inventory, assembly chain parts flow and purchasing would shrug their shoulders and choke to death laughing on their cigarette stubs if they knew that four decades later people would be wondering about such things. Rest assured your question is a common one but there is no big secret other than the vagaries of production and again what was on the shelf that day.

All US cars however do have vented nose, cross eyed wipers, a buzzer that sounds until the LHM pressure is attained, mph speedo, a lower diff ratio, timing set for torque rather than power, four big ugly indicators (as opposed to two small ones at the front only) charcoal canisters, performance choking exhaust headers, a chassis number tin plate at the base of the windshield a chassis number that begin with AM120US and I am sure I am forgetting a thing or two ah yes, Michael's favorite items: two gynormous walrus tusk bumpers fit for a tug boat:)

Best regards,

Marc

5. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Watch it Marc!! "ginormous walrus tusk bumpers fit for a tug boat" - thems fightin'
    words here in TN!! :) And besides, if I am not mistaken, Andy's car has them as well.
    Some of us still have good taste! :)

Mike

6. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #6181 Mexico074, Mar 5, 2016
    Hello Andy...

Attached is the picture of the spare fuse box cover I have. I have also sent
    you a Private Message. It is identical to the one that is on my car and appears
    in excellent condition. I have no idea what the green N.A. stands for...

Mike

7. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    #6182 Mexico074, Mar 5, 2016
    Hello All...

As you know Andy (Pinballking2) is in need of a jack. I just pulled mine out of the
    car and it's bag, and found some interesting things. The first picture is of what
    came out of my K. Not sure if this is correct, however. The tool on the far right
    should be what is used to lower and raise the jack (far left). But the far right rounded
    head will not fit on the hex head of the threaded assembly on the far left. What
    is going on here? Anybody have any ideas? What do others look like?

The second picture is of a spare jack, and the rounded part fits nicely on the jack
    threaded hex head of the jack, and thus operates as it should.. I should also note
    the spare jack is substantially longer in overall length and may not fit in the spot
    on the K where the jack and tools would go..

What do you all think?

Mike

8. Pinballking2

Pinballking2 Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Bronxville, NY
    Full Name:
    Andrew ORourke
    #6183 Pinballking2, Mar 5, 2016
    Michael,
    I complement you on keeping your head when others fail to see what you are doing.
    Every Khsmsin that is returned to Euro Spec makes yours more of a true collector.
    Arguments and esthetics aside, I also think the US Bumper treatment has some positives.
    Ralph Nader and his raiders liked them, and good enough for Ralph........oh never mind him.

My query is, I could live with the front bumper!
    But have tried to visualize a shifting of elements on the rear to retain the US brand and soften up the look?
    So I was thinking of moving the diving board up to where the tail lights are .
    Move tail lights up to proper location
    And then realigning the exhaust to bring it up higher?
    My thought is that the Euro bumpers are useless in any type of impact
    And by substituting the larger version we would at least attempt to keep stock and protect the car in the process.
    It is Saturday and I have been drinking, but what do you think?

Anyone with photoshop skills that could help us see what this beast would look like, that would be appreciated.

9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Right Monsieur Mike,

Burgundy and Tennessee are now officially at Khamsin bumper war, I am launching rotten onions and decayed cheeses your way, they should land in 7 hours 42 minutes, you will think they are meteors heading for Menphis but no such luck, honor and Euro bumpers will prevail!;-)

MS

10. Pinballking2

Pinballking2 Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Bronxville, NY
    Full Name:
    Andrew ORourke
    Congratulations to Marc for his wonderful and informative interview with Mr Mulholand Drive himself, Jay Leno.
    What a hoot, I would have been scared silly, but you were the epidemy of cool.
    Make that Super Cool..
    The only way to improve on that is if you were to have worn a rip away body suit to reveal a one piece Maserati logo'd mankini!
    Jay would have fell off his seat.
    In all sincerity , I could tell he loved you and your book.
    Well done.
    For those who didn't see it its on YouTube
    Andy

11. Pinballking2

Pinballking2 Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Bronxville, NY
    Full Name:
    Andrew ORourke
    #6186 Pinballking2, Mar 5, 2016
    Congratulations to Marc for his wonderful and informative interview with Mr Mulholand Drive himself, Jay Leno.
    What a hoot, I would have been scared silly, but you were the epidemy of cool.
    Make that Super Cool..
    The only way to improve on that is if you were to have worn a rip away body suit to reveal a one piece Maserati logo'd mankini!
    Jay would have fell off his seat.
    In all sincerity , I could tell he loved you and your book.
    Well done.
    For those who didn't see it its on YouTube
    Andy

12. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Thanks Andy,

I was just completely jet lagged this was 36 hours after a 12 hour flight from Paris to LAX, and a day after a dinner with the late Tom Meade in Santa Monica and somehow it came out decently enough:)

After that Doug Magnon and his girlfriend arrived, we chatted some more with Jay Leno, said goodbye, had a Mexican lunch there in Burbank, headed for Doug's Riverside museum and he started his yellow Khamsin for me, what a day:)

Bed time here,

All the best,

Marc

13. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #6188 thecarnut, Mar 5, 2016
    The first jack looks correct for a Khamsin. There is an adapter that goes between the ratchet and the jack.

Ivan

14. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Thanks Ivan...

I will have to check the tool kit for the adapter.. Perhaps it
    is in there!

Mike

15. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    The problem you're going to have by doing that is the license plate position. We are currently looking for a Khamsin for a Vintage Maserati display in Central PA would you be interested in attending?

16. Pinballking2

Pinballking2 Rookie

Feb 7, 2015
    Bronxville, NY
    Full Name:
    Andrew ORourke
    I responded in a pm
    See my note.
    Thanks
    Andy

And I would still like to see a photoshop of what it would look like

17. italiancars

italiancars F1 Rookie

Apr 18, 2004
    Hershey, PA
    Unfortunately my pm box is full. Please email at [email protected]

18. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #6193 au-yt, Mar 7, 2016
    Hi Andrew give the guys at MIE a call for the tool Kit and Jack.
    The stereo a Becker Mexico with stalk will be suitable there was a Eurovox

19. John Royce

John Royce Rookie

Mar 5, 2016
    Mannum Sth Australia
    Full Name:
    John George ROYCE
    #6194 John Royce, Mar 7, 2016
    Interesting colour and very flash. Attached is a photo of my own 1976 Khamsin (AM 120/345) currently experiencing some hydraulic issues.

John Royce

20. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    John Hello and welcome!

Long time no speak, I really enjoyed our chats years ago and your colorful story with K345!

Still jealous of you living in one of the world's and Australia's ultimate quality of life spots:)

Best regards,

Marc

21. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    #6196 Nembo1777, Mar 7, 2016
  22. 010

010 Karting

May 19, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Hi John (and all) , Richard in Canada here with a very similar exterior colour car. Your pictures above (posted by Marc (and you) - Merci) are THE ones I use to show what my car will look like when complete. I have what appears to be the same exterior and interior leather, but the carpet in mine is a patchy light/dark blue (and needs to be replaced). I am not a fan of the material, nor the colour in my car to be honest. I do really like the tan leather on darker brown you have. Did you had your interior carpets redone? If so, would you choose the same shade or go lighter/darker? Any opinion on the material to choose?

I was thinking of a darker brown like dark chocolate but not too close to black (2nd from the left , or centre, at http://www.color-hex.com/palettes/4766.png) . (monitor discrepancies aside)

I do not know how my leather will cleanup (original and dry, dusty, etc - working it now) for now so looking for a flexible (read forgiveing) shade of brown.

The other item in my head right now is for the rear storage area. My leather back there is in rough and very shrunken shape (from anywhere aft of the front edge of the rear window - the speaker location leather condition is great, but anything from the flat surface above and back is poor. I was thinking (as a temporary measure to get on the road sooner and spread my expense for the full interior redo), that I might carpet the entire area and thought a dark brown would be less stand-out ish than lighter colours. Just sharing an idea. Anyone done this approach as a temporary measure? Cheers for all input.
    Richard 010

23. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
    Hello Richard 010....

I went back and looked at the carpets in your car.. I certainly can't blame you for
    wanting to change them.. They are not very attractive, very 70's!!! You should go with
    what you think is best and like! It is your car! Regarding the carpets, I don't think
    changing from that color to whatever will hurt the car!

My 2 cents worth!

Mike

24. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    #6199 rga, Mar 8, 2016
    Hello Richard

Great to see your car finally! Thanks for your photos.
    In my opinion one of the most beautiful color combinations.

The carpet does look pure 70's, shame for the originality (it might be the last one left).
    But I agree there are better looking alternatives.
    I send you a few pictures of what you think is best, first of 090 then of 429, both with Celeste chiaro bodywork. Certainly not a bad choice. But keep the old carpet for reference!

Regards, Roger

25. rga

rga Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Roger the Dodger
    #6200 rga, Mar 8, 2016
    Hello Richard

Look at this brochure, this is the only place I found the type of carpet you have in your car.
    The pictures might be of your very car! The way it looked when it was new.

Enjoy

Regards, Roger