How can a 458 crash like this? | FerrariChat

How can a 458 crash like this?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by mjbcswitzerland, Mar 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Hi All

I am wondering what went wrong here to cause a 458, whose safety software would normally protect against the driver losing control, to turn off sideways and seemingly continue speeding into a wall?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2l6nk7pMQ0&ebc=ANyPxKonqpEE_T_7sg20l2skkrQ7qj0fpwBBvEBAIPpi1oZ3jcjGsbcfJllUkbOvvSDBdEPkzOgixveHH2NrryX5vo1bPIuvrg#t=215

At time mark 3:40 (the video more or less starts there).

Do you think traction control had been disabled? But even then, why didn't it just skid forwards?
    How should the driver correctly react in such a situation???? Was this driver just being really stupid or could it happen to anyone???

Regards

Mark

(Worrying about his new 458 spider getting damaged before having learned to use it right...)

2. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Could be the tire temperature or manettino setting. Always warm up the tires first even in summer. When temperature is below 12 Celcius, be very gentle with the gas pedal. When below 7 Celcius, don't drive it unless you are on winter tires. At any condition, never set the manettino more than Race unless your last name is Hamilton or Fangio. Hopefully nothing like this will ever happened.

3. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    This video has been discussed on fchat before but can't find thread. Apparently he just got the car delivered. The reason for crashing was:
    1. Incapable driver (new delivery and not use to the car)
    2. Race mode in wet
    3. Cold tires
    4. Wet and slippery lines on the ground.

Definitely used to much throttle and probably didn't roll on the pedal as you should...especially in the wet...

4. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    He floored it in wet. Take close look at his impatience. Best

5. Jasone

Jasone Formula 3
    Owner

Nov 15, 2011
    Tampa Florida
    Full Name:
    Jasone
    Classic "Lane Change + Throttle + Wet Road"

6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    The E-nannies can help, but they can't change physics.

7. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    #7 Need4Spd, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016

Probably right as to all those points.

If you ever find yourself in such a condition, back out of the throttle, stay off the brakes, counter steer as needed, and you most likely will be ok. If you're not up to counter steering, do the other steps and keep a gentle hand on the steering wheel.

8. ReinD

ReinD Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2010
  9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    If your at all unsure how to handle nearly 600hp going through your rear wheels leave all the nanny stuff on at all times. :)

10. mjbcswitzerland

mjbcswitzerland Karting

Jan 8, 2008
    Thanks to all:

"roll on the pedal".
    I understand that this means that one should not 'stomp' on the gas pedal but instead more gradually build up pressure.

I have a couple of other Ferraris which I have driven for the past 20 years but they don't have the same level of power and the steering (although with great feel) is no-where near as direct - I have had them sideways a few times and didn't have any problems catching them with counter steer; however I am not a track driver and also don't aspire to that.

However, seeing that this car is indeed in a different league it may make good sense to look at taking one of the Corso Pilota training courses at some point soon. There are also some track days with the local dealers and clubs where there is an ex. F1 driver on hand for tips.

In the mean time I am embracing the E-nanny features as well as being generally very cautious, especially as the temperatures at my location are hovering just below the 7°C mark. In fact I have no intention to drive generally unless >12 °C.

Cheers

Mark