67 Shelby GT500 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

67 Shelby GT500

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by godabitibi, Feb 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #26 godabitibi, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
    Peter is an old friend of mine, I even worked for him in 1990 when he asked me to. At that time it was called THE SHELBY SHOP. His sales guy or can I say manager is Dave who use to be the weekend housekeeping kid when I was there. He was 16yo. He now runs the business almost by himself.
    He know the car but presently doesn't want to buy.

Next time you see Peter ask him if he remember his trips to Quebec city in the early 80's ;)

2. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

you are speaking of rick's "r" model? that car was what I was told a lucky find. it propelled him into Shelby owner's royalty. is what I understand correct?

3. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Well that is the one I'm talking about. This car was in Quebec owned by Armand Bouffard of Ste-Julie. Gord Dunn of Toronto heard about the car and bought it for Kopeck. Bouffard himself told me the car had a rear clip. A friend of mine passed on it because it was too rough for $4400. Instead he bought a 1970 Boss 429 for $7000.
    But no matter what this is the Essex wire number 98 and will allways be. I'm not trying to diminish the car value or history. Just saying it sure doesn't have all it's original sheetmetal.

And this is the story of MANY MANY CARS.
    Keep in mind the identity of a car is it's VIN. Without it it's just sheetmetal.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Just an update to tell I just refused an offer of $80k cdn.

5. richard k

richard k Karting

Nov 2, 2009
    Irricana Alberta
    Now that is a nice car. I was thinking about the 80k offer too as I am looking to buy something nice. I have a thing for fast fords as I owned a 69 boss 302 for around 25 years and kind of regret selling it. So its registered in Quebec with the Shelby vin not the ford vin. I know the bosses are just registered on a ford vin. Is strange but every time I find something I really like it ends up being a long ways away. Why don't you throw it on Ebay ca. I will bid for sure.

6. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    What will it change if I put it on Ebay. If you buy it's still all the same, the reserve will be set at $100K cdn anyway. Just come and buy it!

Take a look at this one Ford Mustang GT500 SHELBY RECREATION TORONTO GTA 1967 pour 149 900 $ à Vaughan | autoHEBDO.net

7. ferrarisun

ferrarisun Formula Junior

Feb 13, 2011
    Regarding the re-bodied 65 Shelby of Rick Kopec. I attended the SAAC Nationals at Indianapolis Ind, I believe that was the mid/late 80's. I was looking at a '65 Shelby on display, and the information board with it mentioned the owner was Kopec. ( I do NOT remember if it was a R-model or "regular" GT-350). As I was looking at the engine, a man walked up, and we got to talking the car. He asked me if I noticed anything about the firewall, I replied no. The man pointed out a couple of very subtle changes that Ford had made on the 1966 Mustang production, this car HAD those changes. The gentleman said he had asked Kopec about this, and Rick said the car "had been re-bodied, years before". Still, a beautiful car, just as is, the green 67, GT-500, listed on this posting. And a bit of trivia, at that SAAC National, I was set up at the swap meet at Raceway Park, and sold a MAGNESIUM, factory Ford intake for a 427. Believe these were used on the 427, full Competition Cobras. It made the aluminum Ford FE intakes seem like boat anchors! Sold it to Doug Sulko out of Chicago, the Boss 429 guy.

8. JohnnyRay

JohnnyRay F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2014
    Central FL/NW WI
    Speaking of Shelby rebodies, I once owned 6S1137, which was used to rebody 5R536. Shelby rebodies Shelby! 5R536 had been badly crashed at Blackhawk Farms and the chassis regarded as toast. Years later, the hulk of 5R536 was found and the structure extensively restored. 6S1137 was then located to source many, but not all of the R model bits back to the original car. I then bought 6S1137 and restored it as well. Turns out that some of the R model pedigree stuck with my 66 car, and it now resides in the Miller Motorsport collection as a result. Who knew?

9. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    We never know! But I was not talking about 5R536. So I will end up that story here.

I think there is enought here to understand my point about rebodied cars. A LOT DON'T KNOW what they own.

The next owner of 00464 will know. And will still own a very nice car.

10. ferrari#7

ferrari#7 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2008
    Anyone know the details in importing a car to USA from Canada.

11. Italian Lover

Italian Lover Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2006
    Full Name:
    Italian Lover
    Claude, email sent.

12. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    CAR IS SOLD! SOLD!
    Thanks to everybody who inquired about the car.
    Car is going to a collector with over 30 cars including many Mustangs.
    Sold for the total asking price.

13. 1guy

1guy Rookie

May 25, 2014
    kansas city
    Full Name:
    bill
    It's not the original body, so it's not the original car. Buyer beware. Lots of red flags up on this car.