New Maserati Alfieri | Page 9 | FerrariChat

New Maserati Alfieri

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by cosmicdingo, Mar 3, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    I think Fiat should have left Maserati under Ferrari control and let them run it as a more exclusive high end luxury division with less sedan sizes and less versions of its sports car, just as it was in the early 2000's with the Quatroporte and GT. Of course I also think Marchionne should have left Montezemolo in charge of the Ferrari car division and just taken control of the Scuderia (that's really the only thing he got right)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    The plans of Maserati are already properly. The SUV-market is already one of the largest segments and is still growing. And (and this is very important) many cars in this segment are purchased by private persons.

The Ghibli market segment is dominated by company cars, very difficult to enter for a brand that focuses on emotions.

We should give Maserati a chance, because the cars are very good.

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    They cannot survive building something like that. There aren't enough Maserati fans to buy uber high end halo cars which incidentally they did already - the MC12. Now it's time to grind it out building their regular line of cars.

It was always going to be difficult for a tiny company like Maserati to compete with Mercedes, Audi and BMW in the same way in terms of dealerships and products. So they can never offer as wide a line with as many new innovations and features. They have to sell their style. I hope the Alfieri shows up sooner but it's not sounding like it ...

They've had a bit of a downturn presumably because of the worldwide downturn and it looks like they over produced at the same time but guys ... they're still making beautiful cars and selling them. They're not charting a unique course for success. They're doing what the winners did. That's worked for most of the newer import companies from Japan & Korea.

When I hear the current cars on the road they sound great, far more interesting than the competition. But car guys like us just want the coolest cars - dessert first.

Now finish your peas or no desert for you! :)

4. hiltsuk

hiltsuk Karting

Dec 31, 2014
    London
    Good points. The Ghibli must compete on a monthly lease price as I imagine most buyers are companies or people using their company car allowance. Style, soul, history matter little if you can only spend $700 per month.
    In the UK the Levante will be diesel only so this points to very low sales expectations given the need to cover the cost involved to re-tool for RHD petrol cars. Lets hope China and middle east recover or the new GT may delayed further.

5. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
  6. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    From what I've heard the Ghibli is also more expensive to run and has more problem issues than the competitive Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 series. Buyers of this category want something more reliable with less niggly issues. FCA and Maserati's record on initial quality is at the very bottom of the JD Power ratings, and they need to do something about that if they are to expect to sell more high end luxury cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    When I saw alfieri, I recall being told it was to be placed below the gt in line up. Its a smaller, sportier 2 seater to compete with f type and vantage. Its not a halo car

8. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Excellent point and I believe people are catching on.......at least that's what the latest results show:

+9% Italy
    +40% France
    +47% Germany

Canada and USA both up considerably compared to last year as well. Maserati Canada actually started a proper lease program at 1.9% with 4 years of free maintenance. They are getting back into the game and slowly building the brand with proper dealership support. The Levante, love or hate it, will help with volume and brand awareness.

9. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Assuming high end tech loaded German cars are reliable is a joke. They offer EXCELLENT post-sale service which helps sooth the client's fury.

I was able to witness first hand many high end Audi's and others have teething issues with brand new cars, electrical and mechanical issues.

The big difference is SERVICE, loaner cars, free maintenance, shuttle's etc...

Rang Rover can't keep up with production and also have teething issues, yet they sell......alot.

10. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

It doesn't matter whether it's true or not, it's the perception in the marketplace, and perception becomes reality in this case. It's the same reason why people in North America shunned Jaguars for years, because of wrongly perceived quality issues. If Maserari and FCA want to do something about it then they should improve their service so that they move off from the very bottom of the JD Power listings for the past several years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    I think Dodge and Jeep consumer reports are vastly different to your typical Maserati owner and expectations.

They do need to improve and make sure clients are offered comparable service to the German premium brands.

12. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    You speak to me from the heart.

After many BMW's I left this brand, yes, the "leading German quality" is definitely a joke. My current daily driver is a beautiful Maserati Granturismo Sport (2014), till today I drove more than 70k kilometers. ZERO issues, what a fun to drive this car, I enjoy it every day. A car of the finest quality.

Ok, without lane compliance assistant and without distance restraint system but with sound and style.
    The second daily driver is a Range Rover.
    Yes, I have no need for German quality anymore. ;)

13. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    The Alfieri -

maybe our definitions differ. I use the following three steps.

- Imagine all the Maserati products currently on offer.
    - Imagine them compared to the Alfieri.
    - Ask yourself which one stands out.

That's my definition, and it's not about price point. If it doesn't match the industry standard, then I apologize.

Re Customer Service -
    It will be more costly for Maserati than other brands with denser dealer networks to provide the same level of customer service. With such a thin dealer network I hope the Ghibli and Levante provide Maserati dealers the necessary reliability and revenue to provide it.

- Art

14. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.

I agree that it will be very difficult for Maserati North America to offer the same level of service that German and Japanese brands can offer, but it takes time and patience with product.

Local BMW dealers were barely pushing 30 cars a month in the mid to late 90's here, and now they sell on average 200-300 new cars, the bigger stores that is. They have at least 15 lifts, shuttles, full restaurants etc......then again their product portfolio is insane.

For now the Maserati-Alfa model will follow in the same venue as JLR and build overtime,.

15. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    Daniel, you are not the first person to tell me this...it seems quite common. That being said, how are Maserati's perceived in Switzerland?

16. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde
    Here in Toronto Canada we are seeing more Maserati's but not enough. Part of the reason is that there is only 1 dealer north of the city which controls the sale of Ferrari, Maserati, and Alfa Romeo. They have a showroom in the downtown of Toronto but the service still takes place in Woodbridge north of the city. I may add that greater Toronto is now a city of 5 million people, so to have only 1 dealer servicing this territory seems rather lame. We have many many more BMW, Audi, and Mercedes dealers and cars here (they are quite common actually), and if FCA has any hope of having Maserati compete with the German brands, let alone Jaguar which has many more locations as well, they need a stronger dealer network than 1.

17. dave_fonz_164

dave_fonz_164 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Davide Giuseppe F.
    We have the same issue here. The new Maserati dealership north of Montreal is mainly sales and service is by appointment or at the main Ferrari-Maserati dealer.

I've read that with the Alfa models and Levante, this will increase volume and service consequently.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20160307/OEM04/303079975/wester:-maserati-to-add-n.a.-dealerships

18. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    In Switzerland Maserati is is a popular and respected brand. My dealer told me that they have very good sales success with the Ghibli and interestingly, again with the Granturismo.

But for the great market success Maserati is still facing the problem that the people believe that the car is much more expensive than it effectively is.

Because Switzerland is a SUV-country I'm sure the Levante will push Maseratis success immediately.

19. tifosi_

tifosi_ Formula 3

Sep 24, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Clyde

Sorry to say but I'll believe it when I see it. I have read statements like this before from Marchionne but it hasn't happened as yet. The Ferrari Maserati dealer is very strong and supposedly (according to him) a personal friend of Marchionne. So let's see when this expansion actually happens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. WJGESQ

WJGESQ Formula 3

Dec 30, 2004
    Sure has "halo" looks.

21. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    I was told candidly by dealer mgmt at Maserati that the Alfieri is delayed because the new qporte and ghibli were rushed to market too quickly and have bugs to be fixed...

And they are trying to get everything fixed before getting in too deep...

Robb

22. 71Satisfaction

71Satisfaction Formula 3

Jul 15, 2012
    New York and Norway
    Full Name:
    Art
    #222 71Satisfaction, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    ..which is the opposite of what Marchionne and Wester needed to achieve their sales volume targets… and stability.

Based on redcaruser's comment, the "bugs to be worked out" are not impacting customers' perceptions and sales… yet?

..time will tell..
    - Art

23. Merak1974

Merak1974 Formula 3

Aug 31, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Full Name:
    Gabriel R.G. Benito
  24. scuderia92

scuderia92 Formula Junior

May 23, 2013
  25. redcaruser