F1 after Bernie | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F1 after Bernie

Discussion in 'F1' started by johngtc, Mar 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    :D

One little advantage of being an ex-pat.... I can't vote! ;)

Don't want to go all P&R here, but the idea that he has any chance of being elected concerns me a lot......

Cheers,
    Ian

2. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Maybe, but I think you're wearing the rose tinteds here. (As many of us are guilty of of course. ;)) Sure, there's no 'history' or 'tradition', but that takes time.

I too don't have any time for CVC, nothing more than leaches IMO, but coming up with another model isn't gonna be easy.

Cheers,
    Ian

3. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    it's not a matter of history Ian, but when i hear that Monza could be ditched it just makes my blood "boil"....or leaving Spa, Suzuka or Silverstone out, this isn't the work of someone who "gives a damb" about f.1, rather the work of a moroon....Hell, how many great tracks do we have in Uk? even in Portugal, Estoril was great " a lot better that that **** they run in Spain now, and Portimão is one of the best modern circuits ever buil, every driver loves it.....But Russia and china, i see nothing interesting in those tracks...for example Cota i like, and méxico also has everything to make nice races...but those arab races are just plain boring tracks....

4. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I've seen this statistic thrown around a few times...is it really true? I have a hard time believing that F1 has more viewership than say soccer/futbol.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Don't think it's true, either. I'm sure it's the most watch motorsport, however.

He has made many individuals VERY wealthy indeed.

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I'm pretty sure that worldwide, annually, there's more eyeballs watching F1 than anything else.

The World Cup & the Olympics every 4 years beat it, but they're not annual events.

I know it seems hard to believe, given just how many soccer games are played every week, but I'm pretty sure that's the deal.

Cheers,
    Ian

7. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    The thing is, just adding more venues when the existing ones are on the financial edge and when viewership is flat or down is not a good way of increasing revenues.

CVC needs to focus on the product, the experience at the venues and the product shown on TV. Anything else is simply a band-aid.

-F

8. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    No innocent man gives away 100m pounds to the German government. Looking at the facts and related case and it appears he was guilty.

In addition to the legal matters related to the last sale, I don't care for the way he makes dramatic, false statements at times. Again, this isn't a sign of good leadership. Sure maybe once in a while, but when you are constantly stirring the pot you end up w crap.

You are dead on about getting it. True fact: Roger Goodell wanted to be commissioner of the NFL as a teenager. Then he went and did it. Who wants to be the "commissioner" of F1? I'd say target old racers personally if you want the best racing. Most racing drivers have a screw loose though so might not work out ; )

Todt - those stupid road safety stickers on the halo-thong-5000. LOL.

9. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    When asked about interviewing Bernie prior to the German trial, the prosecutor said: "Getting answers from Mr Ecclestone is like trying to nail blancmange to a wall!"

Bernie's an ex-second hand car dealer so you can always trust him to be untrustworthy! ;)

10. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The extra operational costs are covered by the extra revenue the teams get out of more races. The logistics are afforded by FOM, and the teams have to be staffed all year anyway.

I think the limit on the number of races has more to do with the extra demand on staff availability, and the lack of time between races to service and develop the cars, than to extra expenses.

11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

+1 and is now requiring extra personnel in some teams to absorb the work-load resulting.

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #37 texasmr2, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    It is like trying to pet a Pit Viper.

BINGO!

Suggestions?

So following that train of thought the Dallas Cowboys who suck must be worth $10B and not $3B?

13. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

There is nothing new here ...
    The idea of an INDEPENDENT F1 engine supplier selling low-cost engines has been mooted several times, and kicked in the long grass several times.
    The "manufacturers" (Mercedes and Ferrari) don't want it, and for good reason; they make money selling last year engines to "lesser" teams.
    An independent engine supplier would have to be subsidised to survive. Bernie knows that.
    It would have to be mostly financed it out of the FOM income, just like the teams.

In the long run, that's the only way independent teams like Williams, Sauber, Toro Rosso, Haas or Force India will survive: at the moment, their prospect is rather bleak competing against their suppliers.

Can any one imagine Ferrari accepting Haas or Sauber to beat them? Or Mercedes giving parity to Williams and Force India? I cannot.

14. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    The only thing he should be funding is his coffin.....

15. scudF1

scudF1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Billy
    I was never a big fun of him. However, the truth is that he put F1 on the map. We have to give him credit for that! Now if throughout the years he made his choices and mistakes that's a different story. On the overall picture I believe that he is the one who helped the sport to become so popular.

16. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Without Bernie, there would be no F1 today. I just hope that his replacement will be as good as he has been for decades.

17. william

Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

One can always accuse Ecclestone of making F1 too commercial, of course, but he surely made it more professional.
    Looking back, with some nostalgia of course, to F1 as it was in the 60s and early 70s, it was rather amateurish, more like club racing, compared to what it is now.

The danger, as far as I can see, is that now F1 is becoming too technical.
    It's not good to see electronic aids taking over the driving.
    That's not Bernie's fault, but the engineers' gravitating around F1.

18. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    #44 SPEEDCORE, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Isn't that his kids 'trust fund'?

Sure, he controls it, and if it comes to a vote, it'll be his, but a nice 'solution' for them..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thanks! Good find! [Altough calling dear ol' Ted 'legendary' is a bit of a stretch! Murray, yeah, Ted, not so much. ;)]

Nice to have confirmation of 'my' statement about eyeballs! :)

Anyone have similar data for soccer viewers worldwide?

As already noted, I'm pretty sure the Olympics & World Cup beat it, but they're only every 4 years, so don't really count.....

Cheers,
    Ian

22. BMWairhead

BMWairhead Formula 3

Sep 11, 2009
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I'm still not buying it. 425 million viewers over the course of the year is impressive for what they are, but that equates to roughly 20-25 million viewers per race weekend. That's within the ballpark (pun) of each individual (nationally) televised regular season NFL game. Cumulatively, it seems the NFL has a much higher viewership...with over 100 million watching the typical Super Bowl; 40-50 million watching each championship game; a few weeks of playoffs with above average viewership; and 17 weeks of the regular season where each weekend 3-6 games will have viewership in the 20 million/per vicinity. In 2014, the NFL says that 202 million unique viewers watched at least some NFL. There's NO WAY the F1 number of 425 million is unique viewers.

I think the issue is important because Bernie has spent the last 20 years eliminating free-to-air broadcasts...forcing the participating viewers to pay for the feed. IOW, he is/has intentionally narrowed the viewership in order to monetize it. He has never attempted to make it an every man's sport. One could argue the same thing about the ever increasing fees the circuits pay...forcing them to up the price of attending a race weekend (or afternoon). Germany and other venues are starting to show the cracks of this methodology, IMO.

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly. So it's bernie ;).

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name: