456: marketplace? daily driver? | FerrariChat

456: marketplace? daily driver?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Sunshine1, Mar 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    To me the ultimate Ferrari is one with 4 real seats like the FF, GTC4, 612 and 456 (or 2 + 2 for short distances like the California)

I was looking at 612s around $100-130K but for family reasons will end up with one of these very elegant and powerful SUVs: Range Rover or Maserati Levante (I previously owned a Maserati Quattroporte and top German sedans).

However I still have room in my budget and my heart for a special automobile but the price now has to be closer to $50-60K + maintenance.

The 456 (GTA) has always had a special place in my heart: gorgeous, elegant, a great design from all sides that still turns heads now, a fantastic V12 engine, prestige, performances, ...

Looking at various ads, I see that many of them are available around $50-70K (United States).

Questions:

1) I am suspicious when prices are "that low" for a V12 Ferrari but many cars (including from reputable dealers) are in the above-mentioned price range, therefore it seems it's normal.

Why are 456s so "cheap", anything wrong I should know about? Or is it simply the normal state of the marketplace for them?

2) I would like to use such car as my daily driver (automatic transmission), "daily" meaning only 5 or 6,000 miles a year. Are 456s reliable (if maintained properly of course), is it ok to do such miles every year?

2. F456M

F456M F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2010
    Oslo
    Full Name:
    Erik
    456s are great cars. But try the rear seats and a normal height person in the drivers seat. Because of the driver's position relative to the pedals, an normal (what is normal?) guy of 186 cm. need to have the seat almost all the way back, and then the rear passenger behind the driver has no leg room. So I would say it is a 2+1 = 3 person car! Worth while testing out... Reliable or better than any normal car. Consumption is alot worse, but it is also more fun! Good luck. I agree with you, it is a very good and elegant automobile!

3. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you for your answer.

I am 5'7'' therefore it should be good. I will test-drive a few cars (I'm in Florida) after reading many posts on this forum to decide what to do (reliability, complaints, maintenance) + looking forward to reading additional answers regarding prices, miles, ...

How many miles do you drive on average per year? Any particular issues with maintenance?

4. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i used my 456mgt as my daily driver for the last 9 years.
    it does that with great style and comfort.
    you should look at all the threads on this subject to get a complete view. but what i can tell you is that the car is good, but like so many other ferrari models that are made in such low numbers - many things are not sorted out and you have to do it yourself.
    windows, radiators, shocks, alternator, ecu's, etc all need some attention or replacement.

the best car to buy is from a fellow fchatter that has sorted and fettled the car out over a couple years.

i am spending more and more time in the usa instead of switzerland, so my own 456mgt is for sale there (in case anybody is interested). unfortunately that car cannot be brought into the usa for another 10 years. but it is likely the best example of that model in switzerland since i have spent a lot of time and effort getting it to run right.

if you cannot find a car directly from the previous owner, then have the dealer put you into contact with the previous owner and find out if they did all the things necessary. if they have not, then price it accordingly and then study the posts here and sort it yourself.

but overall it is a fantastic value for money. elegant, stylish, fast, and a subtle but beautiful design.

5. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
    #5 au-yt, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Great cars , I am also only 5'7" and a 456 is a great size, it also helps I have short legs,
    I took 4 of us out to lunch the other day, The rear passengers do sit knees up and there feet can go under the front seats.
    Do lots of research in this section to learn all you can. there is a balance in issues between early and MGTs

6. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Great car, all the above is true I also live in S Florida Auto perfect no real "driving roads",
    But to your original question why so cheap, Ferrari 2+2 never been tha "cool" Ferrari,
    Auto is a fear repair costs are mostly unknown, And the ticking time bomb a valve job
    could be $25 grand, and sticky, roof lining,shrinking leather ( Florida Sunshine).
    All said and done lile all beautiful creatures needs attention, but when you walk into a
    room all heads turn to see the beauty on your arm...
    Daniel.

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    #7 2000 456M, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    I've had my 456M for over 8 years and put 31,000 miles on it. 2+2s may not be considered "cool" in the Ferrari world (as with most other performance cars with a racing heritage), and their comparatively low resale prices reflect that, but they were the most expensive production models of their era. I personally find the shape more attractive than the 550/575 which look too Corvette-like for my taste (I'll put on my body armor; here comes the flak! :D ), and a lot of automotive journalists seem to share that opinion.

There are lots of unconfirmed stories about the automatic, but it's a solid unit and if properly maintained (changing fluid and screens yearly) there is no reason to give it a second thought IMO. Even so, used trannies seem to pop up on ebay pretty often (Ferrparts currently has 2 of them for around $5,000 each).

There were some bad batches of overly soft valve guides, and I had the bad fortune to get them. New guides and custom valves ground from Manley blanks along with a major service was around $12K US, nowhere near 25 grand. My dash has been fine (I'm told it's a $5K job), but I did need to have the roof lining reglued and the rear parcel shelf redone; both together were around $1200. The cars are bargains and the driving experience, except at the limits, is very similar to the 550/575. The back seat is tight for adults, but I recently had a petite female passenger behind the passenger seat and she was comfortable.

Bottom line: great cars; great value. Mine has 63,000 miles on it, so it is probably worth peanuts on this irrational market, but it is fully sorted, cosmetically great and goes like a sonofa*****.

8. papou

papou Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2012
    plantation Fla
    Full Name:
    daniel ross
    Allan I agree 100% with you I was answering the question why the price, The reason
    is fear because of what folks read about are beauty's, I think the auto might be one of the
    strongest part of the car, The $25.000 valve was a quote my friend got from a Ferrari dealer
    here in Florida. Mine is a DD and I love it.

9. Lionworks Auto

Lionworks Auto Formula 3

Oct 16, 2013
    Worthington OH
    Full Name:
    Ed
  10. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Thank you all for your answers/comments, well appreciated. I did not have the time to get back sooner (CPA, tax season, crazy times). When the season is over, I will test-drive a few models available in Florida (and elsewhere if necessary).

I also read various articles about the 456 GTA (only interested in the automatic transmission).

I'm 5'7 (my wife is 5'5), therefore the back seats should be good for adults on limited trips.

11. KeithS

KeithS Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2008
    Paradise Valley, AZ
    Full Name:
    Keith Stephens
    #11 KeithS, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My daily driver is 1999 456M 6 speed. I enjoy manual shifting and drive about 8,000/year. Current mileage is 64,000. The car is a joy to drive.

The car was consigned by the original owner to Foreign Cars Italia in North Carolina. I purchased it, sight unseen, in 2009; drove off the lot, headed for Arizona and have since driven it about 50,000 miles. I have dealt with most, if not all, the problems mentioned.

I am also 5'7", short legged. Because the seat is far forward I cannot use the hand brake without opening the door. A minor inconvenience in the desert but would be a problem in hill country. Of course no clutch, no problem.

Gorgeous car, great design, incredible engine and a pleasure to drive. Probably the best car value available.

Keith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    I'm rather disheartened to hear that the 456 isn't really a true 4-seater. I've been planning on getting one, however I'm quite tall and would like the car to still be drivable with some kids in the back. Would I really need to get a 612 for that to happen?

13. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    A 612 has significantly more space, but if you are "quite tall" there won't be much leg room behind you.

14. chris_columbia

chris_columbia Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 5, 2008
    Columbia MD
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm 6'2" and usually have 2 kids in the back. In fact, just dropped them off at school this morning on the way to work in the 456. If no one is in the rear seat, I prefer to have the seat all the way back. With a kid behind the front seat, it's still not bad. Not perfect, but if interior comfort is primary goal, get a full size sedan or SUV! Also depends on the kid. If they like being in the 456 they will tolerant small leg room. If they just care about maximum comfort well, they will want something else.

One interesting side note. The tab that keeps the rear seat belt buckle from sliding down too far also requires your waist to be really big for the seatbelt to be tight. I put a cushion behind each kid, so that the seatbelt is tight, and it also moves their knees far enough forward that their knees are bent rather than straight out. This allows their feet to be on the floor, rather than on the seat back. Ironically the seats are made to fit adults, but the available leg room is more kid size. If I was 5'7" I think four adults could fit OK.

15. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Likewise: 6'3, my wife is 6'0 and our 9 year old sits comfortably in the back.
    I don't see a noticeable difference between the 456 and 612 with the three of us.

16. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Ahh thats great to hear. I'm 6'5" but am perfectly happy to be a bit uncomfortable when the kids are in the car. I just want to be able to pick them up/drop them off if need be.

17. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    My experience is somewhat different. I'm only 5'7" but when my kids hit their growth spurts, neither of them could sit behind me unless I was pretty scrunched up. No foot room.

18. Sunshine1

Sunshine1 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2011
    Miami
    Beautiful car, enjoy!

8,000 miles a year, that's a great number (close to what I was thinking in my situation, 5 or 6K a year): what maintenance do you have performed every year to keep the car in great shape? At what cost?