F355 steering feel? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

F355 steering feel?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Orange Crush, Sep 29, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
    The vagueness on center and lightness on initial turn in you mention are exactly what I don't like about it. I like a nice, tight, hefty feel on center. Has anyone tried adjusting the alignment to give more on center feel? Is there any room left in the available caster adjustment for this? Maybe adding a bit of toe-in?

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Geometry is not that big an issue we can calculate and we have metal, saws, welders
    I loved my R5 turbo 2 race rack was superfast like 1.25 turns to full lock and yes popeye forearms were needed so better start practicing turbo fist action :)

Nascar has some nice steering setups I know rack relocation would be best, maybe front steer, this way we can reinforce the front while were in there I'm not a bolt in type person I cut first then calculate

OK I better shut up have enough projects right now

:)

3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Toe in makes it a bit dead and will be less responsive but more interested in going straight down the road. More towards the out direction makes it more responsive but may not let you relax cruising down the freeway. They have quite a bit of caster in them stock. I'd make sure it is right and go from there.

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan

Yes. Mine feels very light as others have stated, but it also feels a bit twitchy like it has very little toe. I'm not sure if what I'm perceiving as being a bit twitchy is just a product of the over boosted steering making it very light, or there actually being very little toe. It's not that bad, and I'm used to it by now. But a four wheel alignment to ensure factory specs and a corner weighting is on my list of to-do's at some point.

5. Orange Crush

Orange Crush Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    Wichita KS
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Update:

Taking the car in to the independent next week. Whatever I feel can't be normal, it's just WAY too floaty under normal driving. The slight inputs are barely recognized with the car just lazily moving from side to side. It's almost so bad that when switching lanes on the highway I'll steer right first and then I have to steer back left as its coming into the right lane to anticipate. It's seriously that slow.

If you were going 40mph and you were to lightly wiggle the wheel left and right, how crisp would it be? I feel like there's zero road connection unless I just yank it one direction or the other. It's almost large-truck like under slow speeds. I wish there was another 355 local I could test to see if this is normal but I can't believe that it is.

6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I installed a Challenge rack and pump on my 95 F355. Steering response is quicker and lock to lock less. Improved steering feel and response. Cost about $ 3000 for parts plus a lot of time for the install. Rack change is a major pain!

7. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    That doesn't sound right to me at all. if it feels oddly looser or more floaty then any other DD car you're driving something is wrong.
    My 355 is not like the 348 where I have to grip the wheel and not let it bump steer all over the place as tight feeling as any other power steering car I own.

8. Orange Crush

Orange Crush Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    Wichita KS
    Full Name:
    Rob
    What could be the cause of that? I spoke to Ferrari of Denver and they suspect worn/loose ball joints or tie rod ends. I'm hoping that's the case and it won't need a larger fix.

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Before I changed to a Challenge steering rack, I was at Road America and car felt loose and really sloppy steering. My old rack tie rods were badly worn.

10. FLORIDAsnakeEyes

FLORIDAsnakeEyes Formula 3

Jul 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    Full Name:
    OC
    driven a LOT of cars. Steering strangely enough feels like a Honda on the feedback. At 60+ feels more like a 3 series BMW M.

11. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yeah, if you can as you said wiggle your steering wheel and get little response then worn tie rod ends at the least. It could also be in your steering column, there are several joints between your steering wheel and the rack.

12. Jam

Jam Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    Aus-Asia
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Orange, mine felt the same. Told the service center that it was driving like a boat at highway speeds.

Replaced ball joints and tie rod ends, fixed it.

13. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Pretty much dead on balls accurate, though the BMW is still much better. I would take it one step further. Below 60 it feels like an old Buick. The only thing missing is a spinner on the wheel. I guess it's to be expected as it was Ferrari's first mid engine car with power assisted steering, largely in response to criticism that previous cars took too much steering effort for women to drive.

14. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I did not buy mine new but it must have been changed because its not like that. Will have to switch with someone for a few miles just to see. I do have the 360 wheel on it though maybe that helps. Its a lot more sensitive than people are saying.

15. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Mine has never felt that bad to me either. I've only done about 7k miles in it and never tracked it but at least 90% of that was highway miles at 80+mph (usually 100 on the deserted roads) and it's always felt at least average sports carish, never loose or floaty.

16. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    some of the comments are simply reflecting cars that have worn out steering components....get it to an alignment shop to identify what needs replacing.