Oil overfill | FerrariChat

Oil overfill

Discussion in '348/355' started by Roth, Apr 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Greetings gentleman, I made the dumbest mistake that is why I need your help before taking the car to a mechanic. I searched and read a few threads but to no avail.

So I finally picked up a 1999 355 F1 not too long ago. Not knowing about the dry pump oil system, I added a few quarts of oil thinking it was low. Now the smoke is coming out the tail pipe. I pumped out what I put in but black smoke still comes out and the fig. 5 failure warning light on page F7 in the manual comes on. Anyone can give advice?

Thanks,

2. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Drain some oil or suck it out the top. Check oil level at idle and be sure it's between min amd max, better to edge on side of low.

The blue smoke is a result of vapors getting sucked in due to over fill. Easy to resolve, just get the excess oil out

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Fig 5m page F7 has nothing to do with oil, is a suspension warning light. It will come on if you start the engine several time and don't move the car. If you driver the car and it stays on it indicated a problem with the active suspension. Most likely with one of the gears on the shock adjustment mechanism.

As for the smoke, it may take a while for it all to burn off.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I did not see you stated you removed the oil - sorry about that. John is right regarding the suspension light.

5. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    Perhaps there is still a lot of oil in the crankcase ventilation system and it needs some time to clear out. Also, your exhaust system, and the cats, are probably still well coated internally with oil. Oil soak of the catalytic converters might have permanently damaged them.

6. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Thanks for the input. Yes, I siponed out the same amount of oil I put in. I started the engine and checked the oil level. It was slightly above the minimum mark but there was smoke coming out the pipe still. Should I run the engine for however long it takes to burn out excess oil?

7. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I read somewhere on this forum the potential of breaking the seal due to high oil pressure from the overfill. I don't even know where the seal is. I hope this is not the case.

8. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #8 WATSON, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    What else can you do now? Take it for a decent highway run (Italian tune-up) and see if it clears.

I would research how the heck the oil is making it to the cylinders to be burned up. I have some idea, but not certain enough to start tearing things apart.

EDIT: How many miles did you drive the car with the "overfill" condition?

9. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    This is what I would do.

10. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Your plugs may foul due to this. I'd suggest changing (or at least inspecting) them soon.

12. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    I guess ferrari went thru the trouble of imprinting right on the dipstick " check hot " for a reason now didnt they .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Starts the engine this morning no smoke out the pipe. Roughly a minute later some light smoke appears. Much less than the first start up after the oil overfill. Is this a symptom of fouls plugs?

14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Roth,

I see you are in Torrance. VVassallo and I are in Palos verdes. Plugzit is in Redondo Beach. SoCal1 is in Signal Hill. We are the Stooge crew. You need to hook up with us. If you want me to take a look today text me. Check your PM.

15. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Sure thing. I'll pm you

16. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    So Roth you are one lucky bastard. You're right in the area of some very helpful guys with an unserpassed knowlage of these cars. You're in good hands and I'm jealous.

17. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    #17 WATSON, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
    Grrrrrr No S**t. I am all alone over here. Man, I would love to have that kind of network here to drink beer with and tell lies to. :(

I used to live in Cerritos waaaaay back when. Time to move back! Oh wait, it's CA. Never mind :)

18. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK

Try being where I am...southern, southern europe

19. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Brian- Yup, but the trout fishing is lousy where they live.

20. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    I e been blessed all my life

21. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Update: Met Roth today. Great guy. And his 355 is just fine. Smoking mostly gone. Always good to meet those who share the same sickness.

22. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    Thanks for the assurance. Drove around for an hour. No issue whatsoever. Smoke completely gone. So now that I have a first hand experience, I can say if you ever overfill your 355, don't worry about it. Suck out the exact amount of oil you put in. Start the engine. Let the oil burn itself out.

Also, the best way to check the oil level, the way I see it, is to do it while the engine is running and immediately after the engine is off. There is a small variation between the two methods. As long as both reading are between the min and max, you're good to go.

23. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Like to help but not sure which warning light your referring too.

Once you take the oil out so its at the correct level no further damage should result.

If you do a search you can find some answers as well.

24. Roth

Roth Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2016
    Pepsi Generation
    you are correct. The warning came on because the car wasn't moving.

25. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Glad you got it sorted