Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Challenge Stradale TCU Upgrade

Discussion in '360/430' started by Markjayw, Feb 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm ordering mine today....Can't wait to see what the difference is.

2. TheGeeMan

TheGeeMan Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Montreal , Canada
    Full Name:
    Eddy
    I noticed the same on my modena after the CS TCU upgrade.

3. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Just got the CS TCU installed today.
    First off, OMG. It really does transforms not just the sound of the car, the speed of the shifts and feeling of the car. In the sense of how quickly and firmly it grabs the gear as you downshift. The bark that you hear in the CS is obviously contributed to the CS shift times. Because the bark of the car on the downshift is insane. I was trying not to downshift too much. But it kept making me grin ear to ear.
    Out of all the CS mods, this ranks 2nd to upgrading to the CS complete suspension. This is one of those must have items if you own a 360. It really is amazing how much of a difference it makes in the feeling of the car.
    I was fortunate enough to get mine through ERIC355 here on ferrarichat. He is a really great guy to deal with.
    As far as the time it took to prime the pressure in the F1 system. I didn't notice any difference. However, I did just drive straight to the shop to have it hooked up to the leonardo. So there wasn't much time it sat before being restarted.

4. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    All these comments about the night and day difference is worse than Christmas for me! I've got the other one from ERIC355 sitting in my safe.....fighting the temptation to plug it in just to see.....gonna be at least 2 wks before I can get mine installed and it's killing me!

5. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It just so happened we did not even have to adjust mine. it was perfect right from the start. I believe it was around 4.1

6. dd360

dd360 Rookie

May 31, 2014
    Canberra Australia
    Full Name:
    Dayne
    Tom,

What year model 360 do you have by chance? Trying to work out if this is a worthwhile upgrade for mine which was built in December 2002.

Cheers
    Dayne

7. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hello Dayne,

I have a 99. My only option was to swap out the entire TCU. I know the 2002 had PIS adjustment as well as slightly quicker shifting. You can send the 02 TCU out and have it reflashed. ERIC355 does it. With shipping and testing it takes about 8-10 days.
    For the price, this has to be by far the best upgrade for the car. You will have a smile on your face every time you shift. It's pretty incredible a different TCU can make the car perform so differently.

Good luck with your decision.

Take care,
    Tom

8. alkizz

alkizz Formula 3

Jun 27, 2015
    West Palm Beach
    Full Name:
    Alton
    What are the downsides to this upgrade? increased clutch wear or something like that?

9. MikeR397

MikeR397 Formula 3

May 9, 2010
    SE Michigan
    Not at all and likely better clutch wear. When I had my old 360 tcu with 75% clutch wear I kept popping into neutral bc adjustments to pis would not last. I put the cs tcu in and got another year and 15% or so out of the clutch until the neutral popping returned and it was time for a new clutch. Fwiw I set my pis to 4.2.

The downshift blips (barks) in sport mode is insane. It makes the scuderia downshifts feel take to me in comparison (of course the scud is faster on the up by a large margin and sounds better on the up shift)

10. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    About 3 months ago, I had the CS TCU installed. Love the difference. But, always intended to have the PIS adjusted now that I have had some time with the new TCU. Did that today.

I have a great relationship with Andy at his shop. He told me to come around today as he had some time to spend with me.

We took the SD2 and plugged into the car and then went for drive. The car was well warmed up. First, we determined what the current PIS was ... it was 4.7. And what we did was to drop the PIS setting until we noticed that the car would barely creep forward while in gear on a level surface. So, with car in Neutral the car is perfectly stationary. Drop the PIS until it just barely creeps forward (or reverse if in reverse). At this point we know that the clutch is just barely dragging. Then we increased the PIS one increment and check again. If the car does not creep forward when in 1st gear, we then go for a drive. Running the car up and down the gears. We then stopped and repeated the procedure to set the PIS. What we ended up with was dropping the PIS from 4.7 to 4.3.

As I understand it, the difference between 4.7 and 4.3 is that the clutch engages 0.4 mm sooner now. Aldous Voicey has a good article on this ...
    Ferrari F1 Clutch Operation | Aldous Voice

With the new (lower) PIS, the clutch does not drag in gear. It feels better. The main difference that I feel is that take off from a stop in first gear ... the clutch grabs a bit sooner. Easier to modulate with the throttle. Smoother too. Gear shifting is about the same. I do feel that the change from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd are more crisp. The car shifts and engine grabs sooner. Shifts from 3 to 4 and up about the same.

Bottom line, it is well worth the time to spend to set the PIS at a point that I feel comfortable with. Overall now, I really like the CS TCU and after today's adjustments ... is even better that it was when the PIS was a bit higher.

Best regards,

Steve

11. ima2nr

ima2nr Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    atlanta ga
    Full Name:
    kevin prickett
    Hi Eric355,

I am curious if you have ever attempted to adapt the 360 TCU software or even the entire 360 TCU itself into a 355 F1 car? No matter if you have of if not, would you please let me know if it can be done (and if yes how much $$$)? And if not, what was the major challenge that prevented it from working?

Thank you in advance!

12. curtisc63

curtisc63 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 13, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Curtis Campbell
    #187 curtisc63, Apr 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes, Curtis, I can flash it.
    197533 is one of the last TCU version for 360. With its sticker it looks as if it was delivered like that from Ferrari, though it is based on a TCU version used on 575M (CFC201F.10).

14. gegherato

gegherato Rookie

May 22, 2015
    Italy Verona
    Full Name:
    Marco Zenaro
    Hi Eric, I'm owner of 360 of VIN 126235 of 11/2001 , do you think you can upadate my TCU?
    I'm going to change the shift it's seem in the last SD2 reading last 20% , do you think maybe I can have an improvement of life?
    Write in private please with the price and any other info.

15. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    On your 360 (11/2001) the TCU is probably a 191701. It can be reflashed.
    I cannot send you a PM, you need more posts.

16. @TEM

@TEM Karting

Oct 10, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    #191 @TEM, May 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2016
    I had a TCU from 2003 in my car and just recently upgraded to a CS TCU and it´s definitely worth it even coming from the 2003 unit. Both up- and downshifts are smoother in "normal" driving and the downshifts in sport mode puts the grin on your face.

17. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

eric, a little off topic,
    challenge car TCU can be used on modenas and Modena/CS Tcu can be used on challenge cars

just tried.

18. eric355

eric355 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 30, 2005
    Toulouse (France)
    Full Name:
    Eric DECOUX
    Yes, I read that you tried. Good to know because I thought that the dash was not compatible.
    Though, the clutches are so different between a challenge car and road cars (360 and CS), that it is difficult to imagine that swapping the TCUs is optimum for any of the two cars.
    How did they feel?

19. Robin360

Robin360 Formula 3

Dec 2, 2007
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Strange. I tried and it didn't work. The mechanic said indeed due to the dash. Must admit though...the TCU I tried came from a crashed car so you never know if it's the TCU that has a problem or if it simply doesn't work. My 360 was a 2000 version. CS TCU did work.

20. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

CS TCU on challenge race car WILL IMPROVE PERFORMANCE A LOT. faster gear changes

challenge TCU on modena: I don't know how to adjust it on my leonardo because it is an early version and the PIS isn't adjustable....

21. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Wow I've pm'd Eric about a CS TCU. I haven't closed the deal on my car yet but it sounds like the getting is good on the TCU. I'd rather have another TCU than reflash the stock TCU for both time and build sheet reasons. I'm buying a low miles 04 car with challenge fronts and rear grill. But it has a tan steering wheel too and I would love a CS wheel in black and carbon. Should I go for it? ;) I'm going to Concorso Ferrari and Friends in CT at the end of next month.

22. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    I was curious about the in-gear readings that come up in SD2/3 scans. I assume that those readings are stored in the TCU and if a new one is installed will the car's miles reflect 0 with a new one or the miles that were on a used one?

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Oh good point. And I just had the speed sensor replaced on my old 348. I would keep both so would the odometer reading change? Can it be adjusted by the techs?

24. Drestless

Drestless Formula 3

Oct 1, 2014
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Jam
    Hi Eric,

I have the same TCU. To understand "reflash", does this mean it will be like CS TCU where the PIS can be adjusted for faster and better shifting?

Do I still need to bring to an indie shop after reflash to adjust the parameters?

Is this the oldest TCU part number that can be reflashed to TCU specs or what other older TCU part number? Thank you.

Please PM for more details and cost for us to reflash my TCU.

sonfield likes this.