Door lock actuators fried - with ugly pics! | FerrariChat

Door lock actuators fried - with ugly pics!

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by Alden, Mar 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #1 Alden, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    WARNING! If your lock actuators malfunction, you may want to check them out ASAP!

My door lock actuators quit working a few weeks ago so I removed them yesterday to see if they could be repaired.

I don't think so......

The first pic is the driver's (left) side, the motor is corroded and part of the gearing is melted from heat. (Water dripped out of the black wiring cover sleeve when I removed it, I think this is what caused the problem, how it got in there is the question!)

Second pic is the passenger (right) side, you can see severe heat damage in the lower part of the actuator, gears and even the case is severely discolored.

This is a problem with having a constant 12V going to the units, if there is a short, the current continues to flow into the motor until this happens, you would think a fuse would blow, but all fuses are fine.

If anyone needs any usable parts from these two, or wants to use them for repair or research,let me know, I will send them to you.

Also, if you know where I can get some new/used/serviceable actuators without having to sell a kidney, please help me out with this.
    Alden
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

paulchua likes this.
  2. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim
    They look VERY much like the actuators we have in Falcons over here. Post some pics of the actuators assembled. And some more information. Like size, number of wires to the actuator etc.

3. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have heard that they were used on Falcons and a few other cars, it would be nice to get a pair w/o paying the "Ferrari tax."

This is the one, 4 wires, they are the same L/R:
    Good Used Ferrari Mondial QV 328 GTB GTS Door Lock Actuator Device Factory | eBay
    Alden

4. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    #4 theunissenguido, Mar 28, 2016
  5. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #5 Jeka, Mar 28, 2016
    This is a very nice find! My actuators were broken as well, in my case due to a corroded and fried Mabuchi motor. When I looked at the connector of the original Ferrari actuator I saw the "Ford" logo! Now I ordered two new ones in Australia, they are very common there and used on a wide range of Ford Falcons (as REAR door lock actuator). I will receive the new ones within 2 weeks and will report back if they fit.

6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wow - i think I saw those parts on board the Jawa Sandcrawler thingy...

7. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Next time I will try to order them on Tatooine, but I am afraid the shipping costs will be huge :)

8. Gizzi

Gizzi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 3, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Full Name:
    Gezim

Correct!

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sweet :D

I used Mabuchi motors for a very different hobby. I have such motors in my F40 and Porsche turbo rsr :D 1:10 scale

10. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
  11. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    I think you can make these fit. As far as I can see you have to make the flat half of the axle and you need to make a alternative wire connection as the solder connections ar missing. It is always worth a try. But if you wait for another week I know if the Ford part will fit. In that case you can buy new ones for a good price.

12. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I think you can make this fit with 2 mods, Wires and axle, but it looks that you need more then only the motor that is fried up? I would wait on Johan's shipment to arrive. This way you will have the so called "EOM" part new :) I am a fan of refurbishing and rebuilds though., but not sure if I would do this in this case looking at the casing and contents.

13. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Yes, a rebuild without at least a couple of donor parts for spares is a long shot.

I will wait, would rather have new, just hate to pay the "Ferrari tax" if I don't have to.

I would guess that from Ford this is a $40-50 part, "F tax" takes it to $175!
    Alden

14. FCnew

FCnew Formula Junior

May 5, 2015
    Hong Kong / Canada
    Full Name:
    Jonathan

If you want to duplicate a gear...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh0nCgkOTsI[/ame]

15. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Did you get them in? Any info?
    Alden

16. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Hi Alden,

I will get them tomorrow and I will take some pictures and post them. According to the Googled pictures they are identical, my original actuators even have the "Ford" mark on the connectors. I can not wait to try them.

17. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    Tamiya and the good old RS540? I had a lot of RC cars in my younger years, I even did 1:8 club races with a petrol Serpent (acceleration from 0 to 62 Mph in 1.6 seconds) :)

18. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    Any update?
    Alden

19. Jeka

Jeka Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2010
    Rotterdam
    Full Name:
    Johan
    #19 Jeka, Apr 22, 2016
    They fit perfectly! But be aware, only the Ford Falcon rear left actuator will fit (the 4 wire version). Ferrari used the same actuator left and right. It's a plug and play replacement with the exact same connector and even the same wire colors. My new actuator is from a 1996 Ford Falcon.

As I bought a Falcon left and right actuator, I used the internals of the right actuator (has only three wires) to repair one of my old actuators.

The Ferrari setup has a disadvantage: if for some reason one actuator is up and the other is down they will both run continuously. So they have to be both up or down. If one fries for some reason the other one will continuously run until it breaks...

20. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Sweet! I guess a rebuild with the new internal parts is the best to keep the outside original :) I guess only the fork is different?

21. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have 4 of them coming all the way from Australia, should be here in a month or so depending on the currents.
    Alden

22. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I managed to source two of the Ford actuators locally and installed them today.

Once I got them in place, the OEM connectors in both doors were not making good contact, telling the car all kinds of info that was wrong. Locks were opening on their own repeatedly with the doors open, they would lock and could not be opened from the outside, lots of weirdness going on.

I finally cleaned and cleaned the connections until I got good contact, then firmly zip tied them together and put everything back together.

Took a long drive and everything works great inside and outside when locking with the key!

Still waiting on the actuators I ordered from Australia to come in, if anyone needs them, let me know.
    Alden

23. Mfoncerrada

Mfoncerrada Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2009
    Monterey, CA
    Full Name:
    Miguel Foncerrada
    Ford Part number? Tnx

24. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    I have actuators and new connector sets for both doors available, you really need to replace the crappy OEM connectors too.

3 full sets available to do both doors, PM me for details.
    Alden

25. dmarti02

dmarti02 Karting

Jun 22, 2014
    Haverford, Pennsylvania
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Old thread, but helps immensely. My drivers door actuator was bad (86 Mondial 3.2),

96 DA 220 A20 BA from a 96 Ford Falcon is listed in this thread, but wanted to report that
    87 DA 220 A20 B1B is also a perfect fit. Found NOS for about $45.00. Quick and easy swap.