675LT vs 488GTB | FerrariChat

675LT vs 488GTB

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by rmitchell248, Apr 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #1 rmitchell248, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    We had a little fun with the LT and the 488 on the autobahn yesterday. We ran from around 100-300kmh. Similar results each time.

I was in the LT and would let the 488 get the jump on each run just so I didn't have to honk as its a pain in the but to go on 3.

I think I would have started the 488 a gear lower and maybe hung just a bit better with the LT. However with such immense torque even at 5800rpm I don't think it would have come close to allowing it to keep up. I'm not surprised at the result, driving the two you can feel the urgency of the LT over the 488.

This was just a fun comparison. I do not detract the 488 for not keeping up with the LT as they are two completely different animals that really are not in competition with one another.

Had a great time playing with the cars and it was a pleasure to see the 488 on the road. It really is a beauty underway.

I'm still working on my 488GTB post that I promised. It's getting rather long and I may need to thin it out to keep you guys from requesting my permanent ban from Fchat;-)

In the meantime hopefully you enjoy these two beautiful cars getting to fool around a bit.

https://youtu.be/U-VmBLkoURM

2. mik458spider

mik458spider Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
  3. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Man I almost couldn't stand listening to the Lamborghini shifting! Yes the 675LT is quite the stock achievement in many regards.

4. BG23

BG23 Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2015
    Australia
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Not surprised with the result, the quoted 100-200km/h time for the 488 is quick but the 675LT is insane.

5. rockitman

rockitman F1 Veteran

May 31, 2015
    Upstate, NY
    Full Name:
    Christian
    What was that sound...hitting the rev limiter on shifting ?

6. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Sure what it sounded like to me. Poor lambo lol

7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Mitchell please dont censor anything! Please, otherwise this is a fairy tail forum with dreams of what we want the Ferraris to be and not what they really are. You have a mission to tell your honest opinion 😊

Have a great Sunday!

8. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    "turbo cars fast on straight line" maybe we will make discussion about: it's warm or cold in Arctica? :D :D :D

9. saraojo

saraojo Formula 3

Mar 9, 2015
    Northeast
    Thanks for sharing. Once again I love the spec on your 675. I'm really curious what the outcome is between the 488 vs the 650s coupe. What do you think?

10. Lesia44

Lesia44 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2009
    Don't you dare thin it out, we want it all! :)

11. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

I've had them both on the Nordschleife too. 230 kilometers in the 488 on the Ring in one afternoon 2 full tanks through the car in 2 hours. I'll be talking about that in my larger post once I'm done writing it. This was just a fun little side note that didn't count for much.

It's obvious that Antarctica is cold, we could compare the frigidness of the northern cap to the southern cap if you insist....

12. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

I wasn't planning to trim out any off the good details. Maybe just. A bit of my rambling:)

Likewise. I'm in the hammock now kicking back in the sun! Maybe I'll read a bit and finish up my post.

13. otis

otis Karting

Mar 5, 2011
    Mpls
    Thanks for posting. Love your cars. Can't wait for the 488 Speciale/Stradale/Scuderia to compare. More apples to apples. My guess is it will not disappoint.

14. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I'd say it's about as comparable as it's going to get. Remember, 675LT is actually still P11. P11 is only maybe a little or a year newer than the 458. Rumor is that the P11 replacement might be moving up-market, perhaps into Aventador pricing.

15. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Yes the p14 is rumored to go upmarket. However the 488 speciale would be more comparable to the LT.

140kg / 305lbs makes up for a lot of power between the two cars. The LT is MUCH lighter than the 488 and you can feel it when driving.

Also keep in mind that the 488 may have 660 hp. however,that it only gets full power and tq applied in 7th gear. Until then it's progressing.

When I state that the cars are not comparable I mean that I am not going to be shopping for either an LT or a 488. Are they in a similar class? Sure they are but they're not direct competitors for people's business in my opinion.

16. homesite

homesite Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Fort Lauderdale Area
    Full Name:
    Scott
    after seeing the video, I think the 650 would be faster also.

17. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Haven't driven either, so I can't say, but I don't see why someone wouldn't shop both if they could afford both. It's not like the LT is stripped down to the tub. You can still order it with all the same stuff as the 488. LT is lighter in places that aren't really any loss in terms of usability or practicality. It's just a lighter car in general.

18. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    #18 rmitchell248, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    I really don't thing that they are a cross shopper. They are just two different animals. The LT has no carpet, no insulation, is quite LOUD inside, is lower (very low to the point of not useable), has a terrible turn radius which goes poorly with the low stance, it is hard to get in and out of, suspension is flatter and less comfortable. I feel if someone wants the LT it is not for the same reasons they'd want the 488GTB. That is just my opinion and clearly there is room for personal choices I just feel that would be the more general outlook.

19. cpiguy

cpiguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 3, 2007
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Arnie Friedman
    Total respect for your view. That in many cases why a Porsche 911 Turbo S was a great complimentary car to own along with a Ferrari, until the new generation of 458/488 came along.

20. redcaruser

redcaruser Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 8, 2012
    switzerland
    Full Name:
    daniel
    Robert, you are the man filling up many threads in different internet media with your comparison of these two cars, this thread title is "675LT vs 488GTB", your youtube-video has the title "McLaren 675LT vs Ferrari 488GTB 100-300kmh" - hmmmm, all this effort just to point out "these cars are not comparable"?

Somehow strange.

21. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert
    redcar, i have gotten 50 messages in the last week between here, McLaren Life and instagram asking me which car is faster. So I made a video of it. I am not sure what you think my motive would be other than just to have fun. People race corvettes agains ferraris and i imagine they're not being cross shopped.... Porsche 991 Turbo agains Ferrari and if you go here you'll hear 'who cares who wins, its just a porsche' nothing was done to you so calm down a bit<some people....

22. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Completely disagree with you....and I applaud Robert for taking the time to share with all of us.

SMH

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Comparing the 675LT vs the 488 GTB is a little bit of comparing apples to oranges. The LT is a limited production car really designed for tracking (albeit it is road legal) and the 488 is a car that Ferrari will probably make 16,000 of.

To be apples to apples, you'd have to compare whatever Ferrari does for it's special version.

That being said, a comparison is still valid as they both have pluses and minuses. And, it's interesting anyway so what the heck? :)

24. rmitchell248

rmitchell248 Formula 3

May 26, 2013
    Nürburg
    Full Name:
    Robert

Spot on. To me it was just a little fun with a friend and two cars. No harm, I still haven't stated which car I like more. If the 488 gets a few quirks resolved I'd have a hard time Picking a favorite even though they are incredibly different to drive as you mention.

25. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I don't see what production numbers have to do with it. 675LT was limited more by demand than anything. They'd sell 16000 of them if they could. Just about everyone who wanted one was able to get one, and it didn't even matter if you owned a previous car or not. There were plenty available.

The average person could get an LT easier and quicker than they could ever get a 488. Dealer in the US told me two years for a new 488 coupe at MSRP. LOL. Hell, it was easier to get a P1 than a 488 for a new customer.

As for it being something very track oriented... meh. It's a road car that's a little faster on the track. It still has all the same amenities as a 650S. The car designed for the track is the 650S Sprint.

Speciale, LT, SV, RS, GT... all just version that are a little louder, a little stiffer, little lighter, and a little more power. If they were the only version available, no one would say they were designed for the track. They are exercises in marketing more than anything. All great cars, but still just road cars, some slightly louder, stiffer, lighter, etc.