painting a prestine, low mile, well documented f40 in argento or blue - | FerrariChat

painting a prestine, low mile, well documented f40 in argento or blue -

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by ttforcefed, Apr 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    what happens to the value of the car?

is sending it to classiche the only way to go? wld sending it to a guy like hoyt be ok?

2. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Sinks

3. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  4. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    To the OP, I assume you are asking how much it would change the value if a pristine , well documented f40 was painted but NOTHING else changed about the car, so it was still the same pristine low mile well documented example and everything along w/ the paint process was documented ? And we are talking painted and documented by a well respected place like the factory or Bryan Hoyt perfect reflections ? Do I understand the question correctly ?

5. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep you got it

6. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    It will be worth nothing to anyone looking for a red F40. However if someone wants a blue F40 it will basically be a very exclusive marketable car. Years ago someone painted a 288 GTO silver because that is what the owner collected; silver cars. However once the car was sold the new owner had the GTO repainted red again. However some will argue if you take a car apart to paint it then that car never drives the same again.
    Probably a 20% hit on the value because once a repaint starts there are endless other little things that might as well be done when you have things apart. Just ask 'Traveller' about his F40 experience...

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if I ever bought a second one id want one in argento and I think I wld be willing to pay market or very close to market for it. was curious to hear what others thought. thanks

8. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    Sounds like a logical well thought out answer.

9. bigmoose

bigmoose Karting

Oct 13, 2003
    London and Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    CT
    You want a blue car.
    DO IT!!!
    if you are so worried about value for the next guy. sell it now.
    Take your bank statement for a drive. :))))

10. simsko

simsko F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2012
    #10 simsko, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    What happens if you take a well documented bank statement and change the colour and then drive it:)? Does classiche frown upon the process? How does the market react to it?

In all seriousness, leave it red and find a rough f40 and do what you want to it. As soon as you take it apart than screws go missing, clips break, mistakes get made etc. Plus the brand new paint immediately shows any worn areas straight away ie interior, engine and all of a sudden you start redoing the interior, engine parts etc. Than you see Traveller's thread and all of sudden an LM looks great, more power sounds good, bigger wheels etc start to play on your mind.

If you are fully committed than get it wrapped and drive it around for 12 months. This way you can see if you really love it and go ahead with it or easily reverse the process. Plus you can try whatever colours you want.

11. bigmoose

bigmoose Karting

Oct 13, 2003
    London and Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    CT
    If i was privileged to have a F40 and wanted it blue, sliver or whatever.
    I would!!!

there was someone on here who said…. not enjoying your ferrari properly is akin to not shagging your GF so she is more desirable to her next BF. hahahahaha

12. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Joe Macari already has a blue F40 for sale. I personally think it looks awesome!

13. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    should wrap it. Change color when you like and never loose the cars originality in the process.

14. frefan

frefan F1 Veteran

Apr 21, 2004
    Seems like a bad idea imo but would pay market price -10 for a well sorted car. Definitely not more.

15. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I would be interested in someone like Joe Sackey's opinion on this.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Now that Euro cars are almost all US eligible, im sure you can find an F40 with 50.000 kms that is well sorted for not too much $$. You could send it to Zanassi and then bring it over and drive it as much as you want not having to worry about mileage (which is probably more important to US buyers..).

Another bonus is that you would have a Euro F40 which is the best F40.

17. AJ

AJ Formula 3

Jun 23, 2008
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Just wrap it.

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    #18 ryalex, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. elms

elms Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    DCS
    If you want it blue, pink, yellow, green with purple spots do what you would like to do!

It can always be painted back and whose to say that you will ever sell it?!

20. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I have to say I think the F40 looks good in any colour, a little like the current tdf, but in the F40's case, as 99% of them are red, when one sees a black or blue one, the immediate reaction is just 'Oh Wow', but I think that is because it is just different from the norm, the norm being 1300 of them ,a mere handful being non red.

When I was restoring my car, it was a helluva job to get all the old paint from its racing days off the panels and repaint it to allow the carbon Kevlar to grin through. So if you want to respray, in my view there is no cheap way to do it if you want this effect and to preserve value, probably it means back to the Factory and a FAT bill.

In short, I would wrap it, you get the aesthetic benefit for a few thousand dollars, with none of the downside. Once you take the panels off, I suspect you will be opening a Pandora's box and even if you manage to resist the temptation of sorting other issues, once finished, you will have this totally pristine bodywork contrasting with the rest of a 25 year old car.

21. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    #21 NYC123, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
    I saw pretty much the same question posted elsewhere and saw one current f40 owner adamant that such a scenario would depreciate a $1.5 mln f40 to $650,000 the second this paint change occurs. I personally believe this is far fetched to say the least this level of depreciation however this person believes they have such a strong grasp of everything f40 that they speak as if this view point of theirs pretty much is the way it is.
    To each their own but seems crazy to me to think it would drop this much.

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yep if I ever get to this project that's what I will do.

23. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If I had to have an F40 in another color, I would wrap it.

I wouldn't spend the money repainting it with Hoyt or Classiche, because its will always be an F40 produced in red, and as with the GTOs painted silver, future generations will always have a tendency to seek out the original color.

24. NYC123

NYC123 Formula Junior

Jul 15, 2006
    But Joe if you had to guess how much do you think paiting as described by the op would depreciate it?
    Thanks

25. Playboy V12

Playboy V12 Karting

Aug 23, 2004
    The Gardens
    A lot of sensitivity over the years I've noticed about repainting cars.

I figure if you get one of the top FNA authorized body shops to do the job it should be ok, with a very good chance of exceeding the original paint job in quality.

I never used to care about this sorta thing until I stumbled into Classic Coach in Elizabeth, NJ many years ago and saw the difference in paint between an older black 512 Boxer and a new black 360. It was so dramatic, I immediately fantasized about the BB with new paint!

Life is too short not to have nice paint.