Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI | Page 31 | FerrariChat

Bullfighter in Hospital - Hit head-on by DUI

Discussion in '308/328' started by Robb, Mar 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #751 Robb, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #752 Robb, Apr 13, 2016
  3. Jam

Jam Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2004
    Aus-Asia
    Full Name:
    Jam
    What a tragic loss for Amanda's family and especially her boys. Condolences to all.

Wishing Jon a speedy recovery.

You are a good man Robb. Donation made to both.

4. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    How incredibly sad _and infuriating.

My thoughts are with you Jon. I cannot even begin to imagine what you're going through and wish you all the strength.

Best,

Jack.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    One of Jon's posts that i just read in the Sultan of Brunei Car Collection thread from 2006 - put a smile on my face:

"I think the sultan used to post here - he was rebuilding a water pump or something." Bullfighter

Robb

6. JimBeau23

JimBeau23 Rookie

Oct 19, 2013
    London, Paris
    Full Name:
    Jim Beaumont
    #756 JimBeau23, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
    I can't count the number of posts from bullfighter I have ended up referring to since I purchased a pair f 308s last year.. Truly a man passionate about classic cars. I wish Jon a speedy recovery and Amanda's family the strength to get through this horrific event. I only hope that the driver that caused this is locked away for life so that no other families have to live through something like this...

7. jez moore

jez moore Rookie

Jun 27, 2009
    Maresfield East Suss
    Full Name:
    Jez Moore
    Very sad news for all, especially the two boys.
    My sincere condolences from over the pond in the UK

8. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Very sad. Thoughts and prayers sent.

9. JCW

JCW Rookie

Sep 16, 2007
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Gyno
    Terrible news. Hope for the best.

10. Blueboost

Blueboost Rookie

Jan 29, 2011
    Lurker not a poster but had to post w/ best wishes and sympathy.

Infuriating how defenseless we are against these bastard low-life...people... how their carelessness can destroy everything you love in the blink of an eye.

11. NORTY

NORTY Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2008
    CARLSBAD, CA, USA,
    Full Name:
    NORTY
    Was made aware of this via email. My condolences to the families. Very sad, indeed.

12. NW328GTS

NW328GTS Formula 3

Nov 16, 2009
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Hal
    The other driver was charged with murder last Friday

Murder charge added to fatal Porsche crash | SanDiegoUnionTribune.com

13. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Doing hard labour in Siberia for life is the first thing that crosses my mind. Of course anyone in traffic can make a (fatal) mistake and should be able to get his/ her life back on track. But a repeater DUI, and then under probation ? I know what I would do as a judge.. But as I said earlier in this thread: anyone who had a different opinion is a better person than I am. Still thinking about Jon and Amandas family, the thougts have to travel half the globe but they are given enough speed to get there. Fingers (still) crossed for Jon ans Amandas family.

14. James in Denver

James in Denver Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Centennial Colorado
    Full Name:
    James in Denver
    I haven't been on FChat in a long time, at least not regularly.

Jon aka Bullfighter was ALWAYS a welcome poster to see in my days of Ferrari ownership. I know he provided a LOT of positive feedback, hints, suggestions and just plain good discussion when it came to the 308 I had. I even remember when his "new purchase" was a secret.

Jon, I know it will be hard and my heart is just broken over what's happened. Please take care of yourself as you recover. Look to the good things, not bad. It will be hard, but this too, shall pass. Good luck my internet friend. --- James in Denver

15. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    was that a real porsche speedster or a kit ? it have seat belts ?

16. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Come on, Henry.

17. henryr

henryr Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 10, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Juan Sánchez Villa-L
    what ? i was looking at the pics and was just thinking about the damage in relation to that much newer honda or whatever that was. whether those things were body on frame or ?

nothing nefarious

my apologize if that was inappropriate

18. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    #768 Robb, Apr 13, 2016
  19. MT Wallet

MT Wallet Rookie

Jan 26, 2014
    My sincere condolences for the family.

20. Ron B

Ron B Rookie

Jul 18, 2015
    Looking at the pics it was a real one, kits tend to be built on a separate beetle chassis whereas the 356 was a complete unibody construction. It also looked to be in stunning condition prior to the collision so no fault can be attributed to the cars condition or age. . The Drivers injuries are well known in ER circles as being caused by the lap belts..when the lower part is restrained and the upper part flies forward and stops,enough said. . I guess not too many Ferrari are fitted with lap belts but if you do have them ,get rid of them and fit the best lap and diagonal belts you can find. (I drove a tow truck for some years and I've seen it all ) .

21. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    Watch the video posted early in the thread. It was real and lovingly restored. Looks like he had had installed lap belts. The car almost assuredly had no belts when new. Hard to mount anything serious and maintain originality.

22. sailrat

sailrat Karting

Nov 28, 2006
    MI
    Full Name:
    Brad
    Just saw this. So very sad, Jon was always helping others.
    My guess is that we all have friends that DUI. Please get them to stop.
    Best wishes for Jon's recovery.

23. JoeZaff

JoeZaff F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 5, 2007
    Philly suburbs
    Full Name:
    Joe
    #773 JoeZaff, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2016

Not to draw attention away from the purpose of this thread, but for what it is worth, it is extremely difficult to mount a proper three point harness in these vintage cars and most companies won't even do so for liability reasons. You can't just drill a hole and mount. There is a lot of physics involved... Believe me, I've been trying to mount three point belts in a couple of my vintage cars and it is not as easy task.

I say all this to say, Jon's injuries are not the fault of some failure to install proper
    Safety devices. He was enjoying a casual drive in his vintage car with a loved one. His injuries are the result of another's apparent disregard for human life.

Would he have suffered less injuries In modern car... Possibly...but we drive vintage cars to celebrate an era, to experience a purity and beauty that is just not available in a modern car. We calculate a certain amount of risk in so doing, and Jon minimized his risk by driving responsibility. Jon doesn't get injured and Amanda doesn't pass away if somebody doesn't decide to apparently get high and crash head on into them. This is a terrible tragedy, and I pray Jon makes a full recovery.

If there is a lesson to learn from this, it is a simple one. Don't drive intoxicated, and if someone you know intends to do so, step up and stand in their way.

24. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Watch the Petrolicious feature on it...

Real...racing history......

I have an email from Amanda's sister, thanking us all, for our thoughts and prayers.
    Amanda's sister and parents are circling the boys, and helping them adjust, in answer to the posts......

She thanks us all, and they are also praying for Jon's recovery.

Good work, guys......

25. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap