Factory Correct 355 HVAC Overlay | FerrariChat

Factory Correct 355 HVAC Overlay

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Apr 12, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    #1 Dave rocks, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey folks,

We've created a factory correct 355 HVAC Overlay. This can be purchased for the DIY guy for $45.00 plus shipping or we can install and refinish your dials and dial indicators.

Fahrenheit and Celsius versions in stock.

When we refinish the dials, the little white indicators will illuminate. Note, they don't illuminate all that strong as the HVAC unit was not designed with enough lumens behind it....

For details see: Ferrari F355 HVAC Overlay ? Sticky RX Refinishing Solutions

Thanks for checking this out. Lot's of other cool tools and accessories in the works :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    cool....nice to see other options out there.

3. 308gtsqv

308gtsqv Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2008
    Mass/Cape Cod
    Full Name:
    Mike
    These look great! I really need to get around to send my parts off to you!

4. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Great price Dave,I think i bought four of these for people last year and each time i paid double.I know where to get my next one.

5. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks, Mike & Mike :)

Anytime you are ready with your parts Mike, we will be here :)

6. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You mean tripple you forgot about the exchange.

7. bcwawright

bcwawright F1 Veteran

Jul 8, 2006
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    This refinish,overlay, and knobs/buttons is all first class.....just doesn't get any better.

8. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Bruce :)

I might also add that I've done a lot of business with Bruce and he is a stand up guy. For those looking for hard to find used parts, Bruce is your guy ;)

9. lotusk

lotusk Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London UK
    There are no other options out there.

Dave's overlay is the only correct one.
    Other has incorrect font and line width.
    Other service paints the white light on the dials black thus covering up totally the green light shining through...then applies a white sticky plastic piece on ....can you imagine that being an option!

Ugh!!!!

Thanks Dave

10. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    I wish some one made one that actually wrapped the panel instead just sticking on top of it.

11. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thank you, Howard :)

The original is called a 3D in mold. I looked into doing this and given we could not do the in-mold that somewhat killed it. Also, the cost was much, much higher and many vendors did not even want to quote it.

We set our standards very high for restoration but economy as well as how practical it is comes into play. Anything can be re-created 100% but most would not be willing to pay the price ;)

12. judd10

judd10 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 30, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Hey Dave - great stuff! I've already installed a competitor's HVAC overlay... if I were to send my HVAC in (for your overlay) with my other interior parts, how closely can you match your paint texture and color for the other parts to your overlay?

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Our coating matches our overlay pretty close. I'm not going to say it's perfect and here is why:

The overlay is printed on the back side of a plastic sheet material. When selecting that material, we tried to pick something that matched a paint texture as close as possible. The printer also has a tolerance band on color so it's really close but it's not dead nuts.

We are limited by the process limitations ;)

Send me an email if you like to discuss this more :)

dave.lelonek@**********.com

Thank you :cool:

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Looks great! Have to add this to the list. Need to get my vents out and have you refinish them with the arrows as well :)

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Much appreciated, Jim :cool:

Let me know when you are ready ;)

16. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Very cool. Just noticed you are back! Surprise Surprise!

17. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    Chill out :)

I got the overlay from Daniel at Ricambi and have no issues with it.
    As for the stickies I did the entire interior myself and it came out perfect.
    Not sure why anyone would paint over the translucent night lights on the knobs when
    all you have to do is clean them with a rag and rubbing alcohol.

18. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    There are two options for this now make your own decision and buy the one you want.

I'm happy to see competition.

Now dave I want to send you all of my hardware from my 95 so you can tumble it and send it out for plating then send back to me haha

19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hi Chris, yep - rubbing alcohol does a good job at removing the sticky mess. But, IMHO, the bare black plastic just does not look good enough and that is why we refinish the dials to match other refinished parts.

Hey Johnny, we can help you with that although we might not be the most cost effect solution for zinc plating ;) If you want, send me a small amount of parts with your vents and we will tumble them for no charge - I'll only pass the cost of the zinc plating on from my supplier ;) Now, if you send me a pallet of parts, we will need to revisit this discussion :)

20. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nice work Dave.

21. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    We should talk about this. There are a couple of ways to skin this with out in mold labeling and or cavity molds. If it takes a cavity mold there a few companies I work with that might help make that. Different class of molds for lower quantity production...

Can we find a material that matches the texture, but becomes pliable when heated with a hair drier or heat gun? I just want to wrap the corners of the box so you can't see the seam from the side.

22. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I agree that the solution is not "perfect", but given the cost, I think it's pretty darn good. Sometimes, it takes fitting the panel better in the car to help hide the side seam as you say.

We have spent a great deal of time and $$$ up front to get these made and it will take a long time to see the initial investment returned. To do a 3D overlay and/or mold a new face would be substantial tooling costs and minimum quantity production so I'm not sure it's feasible.

23. WATSON

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    Given the limitations the current product is great. Not complaining about the past efforts or quality at all.

I just have a trenchancy to keep reaching until things are perfect. Sometimes We really are at the end of the road and I walk off the cliff anyway :) It's what I do.

24. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You and me both :) I went though 3 vendors to get this overlay done over about 8 months. I can't imagine how many vendors I would go through to do a 3D overlay and new face panel :yikes:

25. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Happy Sunday all :)

We sold 5 Celsius overlays to a customer in Germany last week ;)

We've got plenty of Fahrenheit and Celsius versions in stock. Give us a call or shoot an email if you would like to tune up your HVAC panel or other sticky parts :cool:

Thanks guys :)