[ASK]: Scud Rear Challenge Tow Hook | Page 2 | FerrariChat

[ASK]: Scud Rear Challenge Tow Hook

Discussion in '360/430' started by freshmeat, Apr 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    That fella is not keen on such a pathetic project. I believe he did it for the L4P member out of appreciation for the rest of the other works the member committed to.

So in short, we are on our own buddy.

2. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Yep, we just need a good fabricator...well at least I do.

3. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    In 2-3 weeks, I'll have an answer. It's either going to be me DIY-ing, or Mike Ferran would have come up with something decent.

4. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    Hi Freshmeat, I'm also planning to put the rear tow hook like yours... how did you manage to install it? Is the mesh bolt on in our scud rear diffusers? Its for the challenge diffuser right... I'm ordering the parts at eurospares now. Thanks!

5. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    Yes me, you can count 1 for me ;-)

6. GeorgeSSSS

GeorgeSSSS Karting

Aug 12, 2004
    #31 GeorgeSSSS, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
    IMVHO: People will walk by your car and wonder why it has a trailer hitch. If you ever want to sell your scud, you'll get less money because buyers will believe it's been tracked extensively. The cognoscenti will smirk at the racy-do look-pretty. I love Scuds and I would pass on this mod as tacky on a beautiful car.

7. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    Good thread I am somewhat interested in the tow hooks both front and rear for F430, mostly used for street duty. Maybe if I have to choose one just the front one. Not for racin just in case the car needs to be towed or winched onto a flat bed for any reason, you never know.

8. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hey sunir, welcome to Fchat. I know you from 6speed, where I'm Racer X. Did you recently pick up a Ferrari? Still have your Aston?

9. sunir

sunir Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2014
    MD
    Full Name:
    Sunir
    ^^^ hey bud. Yeah recently added a sweet F430, pics and story to come but it's a one of a kind in terms of options, just a really great find. Kept my Aston DB hard to let that go, probably still the most beautiful car. How about you did you keep your V12 Vantage?

I'm going to put up an introduction thread here on Fchat when I get the Ferrari lowered 15-20mm and add spacers and have a chance to get some nice photos done...etc. I'll post about it on the 6 also, I've been out of the car scene for a while, so it's nice to be back at least for now. Hope you're doing well buddy, I'm looking forward to meeting some new friends here also, being a moderator on 6 for such a long time I've been fortunate to run across some great members and helpful friends.

10. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Congrats on the new ride, sunir. Looking forward to the reveal thread!

I sold the V12V a year ago this week to get my scud. I sometimes miss the V12V, but the scud always puts a smile on my face. :)

11. Darth_Homer

Darth_Homer Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2014
    Can anyone here help us how to install the rear tow hook in a scud?

12. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
  13. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Thats a beautiful looking mount Jack. I'm guessing it is CNC'd out of a block of aluminium?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

14. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    Two alluminium blocks and a "manual" fraiseur! It was done by a friend who sold his car. I measured everything and reported it on the schematic (second pic).

15. F430addict

F430addict F1 Rookie

Sep 17, 2010
    Do you have a better picture of the actual mount?

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

16. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    #41 jack, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #42 freshmeat, Apr 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here's mine, billeted from 1 single piece of forged aluminum, anodized in black & I had to add another little something something ;)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. jack

jack Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Lionel
    I like this kind of details!

19. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle
    My TBW - You don't fold or bend cast iron, you fold and bend sheet steel, using the correct inside bend radius for the sheet thickness so you don't get cracks. The casting shown early in this thread sure looks robust enough for this purpose. From a retired structural airplane design engineer.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. mike_747

mike_747 Formula Junior

Dec 15, 2008
    Seattle