Anyone own a '00-'02 E55 AMG? | FerrariChat

Anyone own a '00-'02 E55 AMG?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by sfa1509, Mar 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. sfa1509

sfa1509 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sean Armstrong
    I bought one last year, and have had a gret time with it. I have trying to figure out the best way to light the tires. Stomping it with traction control disengaged meets with occasional success. I am reluctant to try revving the engine with my foot on the brake and then releasing. Seems very very bad to have all the energy winding up in the tranny.

I find myself driving with the TC off quite a bit, because when it engages (water under a tire, etc), the car lurches unpredictably. I would rather deal with predictable over/understeer than not knowing how the computer is going to react.

2. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    469 bhp and you have to ask how to lite the tires.... LOT OF THROTTLE!

3. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    One of the first times I drove my vette I had the traction control off. I pulled out of my friends dads work place after looking at his Ferrari lost control and smaked right into a oncoming car. It was horrible and very expenisive. This story is irralevent but just a reminder being young and behind a aweasome car does not make you aweasome as well.

4. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    Sean
    The W210 E55 should light up the tyres in first gear at will. I had a 99 W210, which i traded on my W211. The only mods I had on the car were H&R springs, Unichip, BMC filters and heat insulation for the airbox. Go to the Mbworld site http://forums.mbworld.org for advice and suggestions for your car. If the car is lacking power, which by the sound of it your is, the Benz's have a bad record with the MAS, which many fix by replavement, but I have posted instructions which I got of the M5 board for cleaning them instead. http://www.ipn.com.au/mbworld/maf%20cleaning.htm

5. sfa1509

sfa1509 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sean Armstrong

Thanks for the reply. I had the car into a MB dealer locally, and it improved somewhat. i still have warranty left, and hopefully they can locate something.

What is the "MAS"?

SA

6. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF or MAS). A nifty sensor to detect the mass (and volume) of incoming air and feeds this into the computer for the fuel system to set mixture and deliver optimum fuel (improved combustion and therefore power/economy).

Sunny

7. sfa1509

sfa1509 Rookie

Feb 25, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Sean Armstrong
    My car has 350bhp, and believe me, there has been liberal application of the throttle!

Time for another trip to the dealer.

Thanks for the ref to MBWorld.

Sean

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    That is an 03 Supercharged car, Sean's is a Normally Aspirated 354 hp.

9. stephens

stephens F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Feb 13, 2004
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Stephen S
    No problems, a lot of MAF errors don't show up on STAR diagnostics, so you need a service tech that knows his stuff, even though the failures are extremely common. When mine first failed, I took the car in because it wasn't feeling quite right. I put a G-Tech on it and got a 6.5 sec 1-100 time. When I took it in they told me I was the first person to bring in an AMG because of a lack of power, but after explaining everything, they finally acknowledged the problem and swapped the unit out.

10. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    WHAT DO YOU GET WHEN YOU CROSS A E55 WITH A V ROD