Thinking about my first Rolex | FerrariChat

Thinking about my first Rolex

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by HobbsTC, Mar 30, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Hey guys. I have a Speedy Pro that I've worn almost daily since 2009. Thought it might be time to get something else to alternate with. I've been looking at GMT II and the ExpII Polar. Here's my main question though...how much do I need to worry about sand getting under the bezel and messing up the rotation? I'll be on deployment in the ME (though 70% in an office at a desk job), but wasn't sure if that was a problem or not. Being a pilot I actually could use all of the functions of the GMT on a daily basis, but din't want to buy something that was going to get gummed up. Any thoughts?

2. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    My Rolex Explorer is bullet proof, been to the highest peak of two continents, in the ocean, tropics, desert, abused, beaten, lost, dropped, on my wrist doing construction, working on cars, wild sex, killing things, and has never missed a beat.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Thomas:

I'm not trying to quench your dream for a top-end watch, but the terms "Deployment," "Middle East," and "Rolex" do not seem to be a good mix at this time. I would be afraid that you would be calling undue attention and possible harm to yourself. I would advise going with something a little more ordinary and less conspicuous and getting the Rolex when you get back. After all, the deployment is only temporary and you will have something to look forward to upon your return. Just my thoughts.

4. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    No worries, I figured I'd raise an eyebrow sometime on that, but in all honesty I'm not worried about that. I do have a GShock for certain things, but I've worn my Speedy Pro through almost everything I've done in the Army including OCS, most of sere, and flight school, and its still going strong. Each scratch just tells more stories!

5. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    If you want something new, look at:

Rolex 116710 BLNR GMT Master II

If you want something vintage, look at:

Rolex GMT 1675

If you have deep pockets, look at this:

Patek 5164

6. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    Maybe you should have a look on a Daytona?

7. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Don't worry about sand. I wear my Explorer II daily, even at the beach, and it's never been an issue.

8. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Get a stainless submariner or sea dweller.
    Tell everyone its a Brolex.

9. TheActionKid

TheActionKid Karting

Mar 20, 2016
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'll begin by saying that I bought my first Rolex when I was 20 (11 years ago) and I have enjoyed and loved every minute of owning them. It is the first thing I put on in the morning and the last thing I take off before bed.

I agree with energy that this might not be the "ideal" time to purchase a Rolex, however if you have your heart set on doing so, don't let anyone change your mind. I've owned several Rolexes in my life, currently I have a two-tone datejust and a stainless/white gold daytona and love them both. They always get compliments and looks wherever I go, and if anyone tries to tell you that Rolex sucks or is hating pay them no mind. Haters gonna hate just because they can't afford to spend $10-$15k for a watch. Below is a good article I'll link you to that has some common criticisms and misconceptions about Rolex that you may or may not be familiar with - but being a new Rolex owner I feel you should familiarize yourself with the brand a little more.

In Defense Of Rolex Watches - AskMen

-Action

10. spikes360

spikes360 Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2013
    Niles, IL
    Full Name:
    Mike
  11. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    Black ceramic / rose gold new Yachtmaster -- stands out on its own, likely won't see someone else wearing it around you

12. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    So what are the pros and cons of new vs used? I like the GMT Pepsi 16710 but I know the local Rolex dealer does an extra 5yr warranty on new watches purchased on top of the original warranty and I could get a BLNR. Thoughts?

And thanks Spikes360 beautiful Daytona, just not what I am looking for right now.

13. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    When I picked up my Rolex last July, the dealer told me Rolex have extended their warranty on new watches from 2 years to 5 years.

International warranty, so you can have your Rolex repaired anywhere in the world.

So are you saying your local dealer offered you the factory 5 year warranty and has added another 5 years warranty on top?

10 years warranty total? If that's the case, I know what I would be doing.

14. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yes that is correct, 10 years total warranty.

15. WPOZZZ

WPOZZZ F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Honolulu, HI
    10 year warranty is unheard of! The best I get is a 7 year warranty from a gray marketer. I have only had a Rolex need repair once, and that is when it was 8 years old and sat in the box and worn sparingly for about 7 of those years.

Btw, my first Rolex was a stainless Sub that I wore as my daily. I went to the beach a lot (swimming and hanging out) and the bezel never got gummed up.

16. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Wow!! That's very impressive! Go with that dealer and buy a new Rolex. :D

17. DrJan

DrJan Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2015
    Grand Cayman
    Full Name:
    Dr Jan P
    What are the conditions for that warranty?

18. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Yeah it's at Mayors Jewelers in Jax. They use it as a main selling point. Just trying to decide if it's worth the depreciation hit vs buying used.

19. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    Thomas I've bought two Rolex at Mayors. They don't haggle a lot but you can usually get them to waive sales tax (6% in FL).

20. montegoblue

montegoblue Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 7, 2009
    East TN
    No problems with Mayors -- sales tax waive is a plus. Good transactions in the past x 3

21. Foster

Foster Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Purley
    Full Name:
    David Foster
    I was bought my Submariner in 1981 for my 19 birthday and have worn it day and night since. During all activities scuba and parachuting in my youth. Working on my cars and around the house in my dotage and only ever had 1 problem in 80's when after a service it leaked. Never had it serviced again by Rolex.

i never tire of the heavy feel of it and the quality of its construction.

22. Fmuto42

Fmuto42 Karting

Jul 19, 2015
    Downingtown, PA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    If you buy a rolex you don't have to worry about your watch losing value over the long haul. I bought a SS sub in 2005/2006 back then MSRP was about $5k and got it for a few hundred off. Kept it in real nice shape wore it everyday and never got it serviced. It ran and looked great. After 7 years I traded it in for a black / blue GMTii and so glad I did. When I traded it in I got almost the same price I paid for it. Long story short. By new and keep it for as long as you can!

Thanks for servicing too my friend 🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸

23. HobbsTC

HobbsTC Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 14, 2004
    Lakeland, FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    Thanks for all the info, everyone! So I've decided to hold off for a bit until I get settled over there and see what's going on. Might just make it a "welcome home" present to myself!