ferrari needs to make electric cars | Page 3 | FerrariChat

ferrari needs to make electric cars

Discussion in 'Electric Ferraris' started by ren0312, Apr 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    No matter how much I love my Kindle - it can't replace a paper book
    No matter how good a massage chair is, doesn't replace a real live masseuse
    No matter how good a recording of music is - will never replace a live orchestra
    No matter how great Splenda tastes, never will replace sugar
    No matter how good a movie version of a musical is, will never replace a live performance
    No matter how good a TV broadcast is a football game, will never replace going to a stadium
    No matter how wonderful a microwave "gourmet" TV dinner tastes, never replaces a restaurant
    No matter how nice 'pleather' feels, never replaces real leather.
    No matter how accurate a digital watch is, never places an analog watch
    No matter how high-def an image of the Mona Lisa is, never replaces visiting the Louvre and seeing it in person
    No matter how indistinguishable a "Diamonoid" looks from a real diamond, people will keep buying real ones

These are just things that come to mind right now, I"m sure there are an endless number of other scenarios...

Once most pertinent is why don't more people buy electric motorcycles? Already widely available...

2. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    #52 SonomaRik, Apr 19, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
    you are correct.

and like the older tech of petrol the cost will decrease. The nonsense of mining, transporting and producing solar panels and batteries as more expensive, is nonsense to even a cursory research especially when batteries are recycled for decades.

CA must even shut down solar farms on a regular basis due to excessive capacity because the grid is inadequate.

Musk's new battery plant is not a gamble nor his [now too expensive] power walls.

but, many were touting the demise of 'new petrol cars' during the horse and buggy days, as no infrastructure and means to sustain.

whatever.

it's a changing world and not saying petrol cars are museum or parade examples yet, but expect that to be an issue. Ask China and India how that's going.

PS: Not wanting this to go P&R. Ferrari may not keep pace with the current buying crowd, but who ever said Ferrari would continue to exist in other than petrol market?

3. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    #53 tundraphile, Apr 19, 2016
    Lead-acid batteries are recycled. Lithium batteries typically are not. The value of the actual lithium used is a small percentage of the total cost of the battery, while in lead it is the majority of the cost.

But regardless, there is already a thread to preach about how Musk and Tesla will change the world. Some guy sold his Ferrari to buy Tesla stock, curious if he would do the same thing again if he had another Ferrari to sell.
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/ferrari-discussion-not-model-specific-sponsored-algar-ferrari/437525-just-sold-my-ferrari-buy-more-tsla-3.html

The question of whether FERRARI should build an all-electric vehicle is another debate entirely.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    #54 paulchua, Apr 19, 2016
    This is good points, nobody know for sure what the future holds. Petrol may very well go the way of the dinosaurs they are based on. I do believe however it is a longer way off then what many predict.

My comparison would be garden machines. Many things like blowers, trimmers, lawn mowers have had electric versions for years. Yet, many people still prefer the gas versions.

Again, not saying you are wrong, just thinking it might take a while.

Cheers

5. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    Baltimore had to replace an entire fleet of battery busses as they'd fail in extreme heat and extreme cold. They were passed off on the public as green. What does one think the overall cost and impact were of an entire fleet of busses vein scrapped and replaced?

When I hear percentages of efficiency I immediately think there's more to it... And there is.

6. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    As to the topic at hand: I wouldn't buy a Ferrari sewing machine. Others can make the electrics for now. At some point Ferrari must shift from cutting edge tech to bespoke mechanical.

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    2001: Awesome special effects with real hand made models and actors in England
    Batman vs Superman: Crap special effects made on some computer in India

Digital isn't always better.

8. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #58 John_K_348, Apr 19, 2016
    The V12 will never die. The title of the aria is "Nessun dorma." or "No one sleeps." The greatest tenor notes in all of opera history happen at the phrase, "Vincero, vin - CEEeeeeee -ro!" Which means, "I win." In Turandot, the ice princess' name is the last of three riddles, "what is like ice but burns" and Calaf figures this out but offers her another riddle in return, in order to win her love. She has the following night to figure out his name, a total stranger. I'm a musicologist, librarian and investor. If BMW is piping fake engine or reprocessed engine sound into the cabin through the stereo or duct pipes like in other cars, the electric car still has a long way to go.

9. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I can see more electric models being made by all manufactures. Sure there will more green business and an economy built around it. But there will be a large number of us, that don't care if something is "green" or not. I'll buy gas lawnmowers, gas trimmers, etc. as long as they make them. I'll continue to use them until gas becomes unavailable.

Most of 1980's until the early 2000's, I went to the Reno Air races. Sure jet warbirds have more performances, etc. But the sight and sounds of a WWII fighter can only be described in one word amazing! I'll always want a Spitfire, Hurricane or P51. Gas engine cars in the future will be like horses now. I see horse riders almost daily in my neighborhood if its sunny. I'll see gas engine cars until government outlaws them!

10. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    #60 mclaudio, Apr 19, 2016
    If I buy a Ferrari electric car, it would be for its instant torque and response, but definitely not for environmental reasons. I'd buy a Tesla if TCO as a daily driver is an advantage.

11. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Virtue signaling. Tesla owners also want to set themselves apart from the virtue signaling proles who drive Priuses.

12. opencollector

opencollector Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2005
    CA Central Coast
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    If ever there were a party to which one should not arrive early, it's electric car manufacturing. Especially in the case of a company like Ferrari.

13. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Electric cars will save gas burning luxury cars like Ferrari and will also keep fossil fuel work vehicles and trucks on the road IMO. Once 75% of sheeple have gone electric, then I see having to pay a tax of some sort to keep your special internal combustion vehicle on the road. Just can't see a 5th wheel behind an electric truck. 75% reduction in perceived emissions should be enough I think.

14. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    An electric Ferrari vs. the Chevy Volt.

The difference in torque and response would be ...... UNDER whelming.

And anyone could hire Pinninfarina to slap a body on a frame.

15. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I suspect Patek Philippe is doing quite well...I know I dropped $50K on a watch that merely tells time, and not as accurately as my iPhone at that.

16. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    So there is no need to evolve? Why did Ferrari ever design a new car after the first, why not be done at that point.

I think some people here are working a little too hard to protect the heritage.

My point to this entire thread is every thing in life evolves. As a famous CEO said to the company "make our products obsolete or our competition will" (not an exact quote).

I'm not trying to say Ferrari will go 100% electric. But we have seen turbo v8, we have heard discussion of v6, we are seeing front wheel motors.

I love my Ferrari, I hope Ferrari continues to innovate, so my children's children can drive a Ferrari too.

17. NEP

NEP F1 Rookie

Jul 19, 2010
    On Earth
    Full Name:
    Nigel
    Excerpt from Sergio Marchionne's speech on April 15th, 2016.

"Strategic transactions carried out over the past two years, including the dual listing of FCA, the IPO and spin-off Ferrari and other actions in the capital market, have enabled us to reduce net industrial debt of 4 billion euro, for the next two years i am confident that we will be able to create a lasting organization and structure of the most sustainable capital.

For the Maserati is expected to improve in the second half of the year following the launch of the new Levante.

The production with electric or hybrid engines is one of our priorities, for 2020 probably will cover half of our fleet.

FCA has made great efforts over the past 5-6 years, we reported to work a lot of people who were laid off, we intend to fall to zero by 2018, consistent with the overall development of society."

18. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Nothing to do with being green. An electric ferrari would be so epic and so fast thats what will be its main calling card. One just has to drive a Tesla in ludicrous mode to understand that electric offers a new performance paradigm. Like so many claimed to like paddles because ferari was about performance so to will they gravitate to electric ferraris. Dont think golf cart, think nuclear submarine power.

The problem with marketing elctric cars till now has been the over emphais on green and emissions as a reason. The costs and savings cannot be justified in this regard. However as we see with Tesla an upscale product does sell, simply because it sis a great car in tos own right, better in many ways. Drive one and you will see.

If harley can offer a liquid cooled motor, ferrari can offer an electric car. Imagine a new Dino, small light agile faster than anything. You are also talkign about a machine that can sit for weeks or months maintannace free. In fact overall maintance is minimal. As for sound, electric engines can be enginered to sound like a spaceship jet engine.

Its somethig different, but can be better, ferrari can offer both gas and electric, just as Harley is planning to do. If people dropped the stick for convenience/performance, they will take up electric too. And without a gas engine to acomodate, styling can be truly wild.

The performace paradigm will sell an electric ferrari.

19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Magneti Marelli is entering Formula E next year. Seems logical Fiat will want to exploit the marketing of performance electric cars sooner or later but IMO they should create a new brand altogether for their e-engines and then make it interact with Ferrari and all their other brands creating special electric performance version of existing cars.

20. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I keep having this debate with myself. The truth is that the days of companies like Ferrari leading in by the numbers performance are gone, if they were ever solidly in place to begin with. They are experience cars. The sound, the handling, the braking, and the aesthetics. They FEEL fast and dangerous.

To contrast that, I test drove the Tesla S with "Ludicrous" mode the other day. I went 0-60 three times, tried the autopilot on the freeway at 70mph (weird!), and got an overall feel for the car. Bottom line, it feels like driving an iphone. It has it's own way of driving that you have to de-program if you want it to simulate a normal vehicle. The accelerator and brakes are so touchy I was getting irritated. To be driven properly as it comes from the factory, the car requires a feather light touch. it wants to do all the work for you. Total opposite of the Ferrari experience.

That said, it is insanely fast. Faster off the line than an F12. I'm assuming someday Ferrari will have to incorporate electric technology. I'm imagining a hybrid. Growl mode for the mountain roads, Quiet but insane electric performance for off the line or highway of you want it. Who knows. I think the next generation of drivers, the kids who are 10 years old right now, will decide. They live in an iphone world and have never known anything else. What seems integral to the Ferrari experience to us guys in our 30's, 40's, and up may seem like driving an old 30's Packard to them - cool, but from another era and obsolete. Will they want to pay 5x as much for a car that has worse performance than a $100k Tesla? Especially if Tesla gets back into sports cars?

I've actually thought a Ferrari/Tesla jointly built car would be pretty amazing. It would be seen as a visionary collaboration instead of caving to the times. If Ferrari doesn't do it, someone else will. And they can still experiment with all the other technology you guys are talking about.

21. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    +1. If electric can move giant trains from a dead stop, imagine what it could do for a lightweight sports car. Sonic boom time.

22. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    To be fair, speaking about sonic boom, planes still burn fuel.

23. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I can agree with what you are saying about more to electric then its green. 0 to 60 is only part of the equation. Even quarter mile. Once the novelty wears off, most people who are into cars will want analog as well. There will be a market for both. It may well be a niche market but we'll want them. Look at war planes. Many fighter jets from the 1950's all the way up to Mig 29. The WWII prop fighters are a lot more expensive to buy.

24. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    LOL Not fair.

Batteries... they're still heavy and too many are needed. As an alternate, solar electric airplanes need lots of wing (which equals slow).

25. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Imagine driving a car that fast that it needs 200kw (250km/h?). (luckily in Germany there are stretches of the autobahn where you can do it) The Tesla battery pack has a capacity of 90kWh. That means if you drive the car with a speed it was made for, you can only do it for 30 minutes. wtf? You would need a trailer with a larger battery pack.