308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild | Page 8 | FerrariChat

308 Speedo Repair/Rebuild

Discussion in '308/328' started by alhbln, Aug 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pedromelo19

pedromelo19 Rookie

Sep 4, 2015
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Pedro Henrique
    Hello Adrian, follow your posts here in Brazil.I would like to acquire a circuit or schematic Speedo 308 GTB. Please contact [email protected]

2. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Hello Pedro,

thanks for your interest! The last batch has been sold, i have to build a new one which might take a while.

Adrian

3. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Hello Adrian,
    Are these ready for sale now? I've been watching and waiting, but thought you were still putting the finishing touches on the design and software... my 328 is still begging for a fix!

Please let us know when we can buy the fruits of your long labor... and how to order, etc.

Thanks!

4. pedromelo19

pedromelo19 Rookie

Sep 4, 2015
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Pedro Henrique
    Thanks for answering Adrian, you have an e-mail to contact? I am an electronics engineer and work with vehicle instrumentation restoration from 1920 to 1980 in Brazil. I wonder if you can send or sell the schematic for the card you rode. The board my client is shorted.

5. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Did you ever decide if you were going to implement a Bluetooth connection for different tire sizes?

6. pedromelo19

pedromelo19 Rookie

Sep 4, 2015
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Pedro Henrique
    #181 pedromelo19, Sep 30, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Sorry i haven't finished the software for type 2/3 yet, got stuck up in my engine rebuild, GT4 carpet production and too much work. Will start on this again asap.

This would be feasible but i haven't had any requests yet even for different tire sizes custom firmware. At the end of the day i only have limited time so would rather invest this into finishing the type 2/3 speedo board, so have to pass on this feature for now.

Sure, you can reach me at [email protected]. The board is based on an embedded mcu so the schematic won't help you to build a functional unit. I'll do a new batch of type 1 boards in about 2-3 weeks if all goes well.

Looks good! 60 mph are 109,6Hz so 110Hz would be fine!

8. pedromelo19

pedromelo19 Rookie

Sep 4, 2015
    Brasil
    Full Name:
    Pedro Henrique
    #183 pedromelo19, Oct 1, 2015
    Hello Adrian, now rode the converted board successfully speedometer. Tomorrow will test the car. Thank you for your posts on the forum.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Nice!

P.s. socketed components are not ideal in an automotive environment due to the vibrations, would recommend to either solder them in or to secure the component to the socket with a small nylon thread going across the component and below the socket.

10. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Adrian,
    My speedo with your board is still absolutely perfect with no issues at all.. However I broke the glass whilst I was sorting out some generic wiring behind the dash. Do you have a GT4 speedo in bits at the moment? If so could you measure the diameter and thickness of the glass please so I can order another one :(
    I don't want to take the dash out again until I have a glass to refit.

Cheers
    Nick

11. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Hi Nick,

measured: diameter 93,5 mm, thickness 1,9 mm.

Best,
    Adrian

12. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Thank you!
    Next silly question, do you have any idea where you can buy / get them from!

Cheers
    Nick

13. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    No idea, i would ask a local workshop who works with glass to cut one in the right diameter, should be straightforward.

14. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Hi Adrian,
    Well, after 5500 miles, my NOS replacement speedo in my 328 is beginning to act up, just like my original one did... needle pegs momentarily, then goes dead. Sometimes, a slap on the binnacle will revive it... Any outlook on your awesome modern board for my 328?

15. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I haven't finished it yet unfortunately, due to my workload. Will try to get back to finish the software, the hardware seems to be fine and ready.

Are you sure it's not a problem with the connector from the car wire trunk or a cold solder joint on the Speedo PCB?

16. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    I think it's unlikely, mainly because this speedo head has been rock solid for 5.5K miles, and suddenly started acting just as the old one did, when it failed. It's happening very seldom, but definitely happening - even when stopped, the needle momentarily pegs full scale, then returns to zero, dead even when moving, until I slap the binnacle, and then it usually comes back to operational.

I'm in line to buy your new kit, as soon as you have it ready for my car. We managed to get two extra years out of it, so that's not so bad...

I might even buy two of your kits, so I can fix both Speedo heads!

Any idea when you might be able to get back to the project?

Many thanks, Adrian. You're a lifesaver!

17. jth5610

jth5610 Karting

Mar 4, 2008
    Assens, Denmark
    Full Name:
    jesper thamm
    #192 jth5610, Nov 12, 2016
    It seems as there is also a version 3 of the early type 1 printboard, see attachment. I also have a speedo in my euro drysump 77 GTB where the speedo is running, but odo and tripcounter does not.
    On the advice from Adrian I would change the transistor BC327, but when I opened the speedo there is a different transistor on the printbord which is a Little different from v.1 and v.2 where the transistor is mounted. This transistor has the number BD520 and has the colorcode grey/purple/red ,legs is E B C.
    Does anyone know if I can use the BC327 instead of this one ?
    Adrian is unfortunelately out of printboards at the moment, anyone know where to get the ITT chip SAY115Y ?
    Best regards Jesper

18. Crowndog

Crowndog F1 Veteran

Jul 16, 2011
    Fairfield,Pa
    Full Name:
    Robert

I've found that small zip ties fit well under the socket and secure chips very well.

19. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    I'm sorry, still not finished, have some work load and health issues to manage first but plan to start on this in december/january. Looks like i have some work/work balance issues :-/

A TIP36C would be a good replacement and has the same pinout, should be easy to source.

I'm using fishing line to keep socketed components in place, puts less force on the components :)

20. jth5610

jth5610 Karting

Mar 4, 2008
    Assens, Denmark
    Full Name:
    jesper thamm
    A TIP36C would be a good replacement and has the same pinout, should be easy to source

Thanks for the answer Adrian.
    When your printboards are finished I would like to buy 2 .
    Best regards
    Jesper

21. rodnro

rodnro Rookie

Oct 8, 2015
    I hope someone can help me,i have a 308gts speedo with failed SAY115Y chip.Is there any one still making replacement PCB's i can buy,or supply a circuit diagram to build one? This one goes up to about 40MPH then drops to zero.Not good.Thanks.

22. rodnro

rodnro Rookie

Oct 8, 2015
    I have a 308 with a dud SAY115Y ic,are these replacement PCB's still available,or if not a circuit diagram?,this one goes upto 40MPH then dies,bit worrying!

23. alhbln

alhbln Formula 3
    Consultant Owner

Mar 4, 2008
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    Saabguy likes this.
  24. ZOOOOMZ

ZOOOOMZ Karting

Aug 14, 2013
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Full Name:
    Tim Cronin
    Hi Adrian,
    Thanks for following-up with this one.... I'm still interested in buying 2X of your new design for my 1988 328 GTS. Last I recall, you mentioned the board was finished, but the software was yet to be completed for my application.
    I can understand very well your 'work/work balance issues', as I have similar challenges - I was nearly killed in a cycling crash three weeks ago, where a car hit me head-on, resulting in a 40 mph impact that fractured 6 ribs, collapsed a lung, and broke three vertebrae (among many less serious injuries). So, I'm out of commission for some time now, but thankful that I will survive.
    Any outlook on when I might be able to purchase these speedo kits from you?
    Many thanks,
    Tim

25. ATSAaron

ATSAaron Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 1, 2004
    Shady Shores, TX
    Full Name:
    Aaron Bunch
    Oh, I am in for updates as I would like one repaired as well.

Aaron