DIY Battery Tender Installation - F430/360 - CTEK 4.3 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DIY Battery Tender Installation - F430/360 - CTEK 4.3

Discussion in '360/430' started by Trent, Jan 19, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cinque

Cinque Formula Junior

Aug 4, 2012
    West Coast
    Thank you very much for the excellent insight. I think my battery must be on its way out as when off the ctek it has lost enough charge that it has not started the car a few times. But if I keep it plugged in, it charges up to "step 7" just fine.

So I think I better leave it plugged into the ctek. The only thing is, I'm not sure about the idea of having the charger plugged in 24/7 from a safety perspective. Could there be any fire or electrical safety hazard from leaving the ctek always plugged in? Or am I just being paranoid?

It's sorta like how some people unplug their toaster thinking it could catch fire!

2. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I do not unplug my toaster, but I know people who do. Is there a risk that leaving the battery tender plugged in 24/7 poses a potential fire hazard? Yes, I believe there might be, but I think it is a very low risk. I keep my battery tender plugged in 24/7 ... mainly because I am too lazy to keep plugging it in and out.

Steve

3. 0phantom0

0phantom0 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016
  4. Peter Serroukas

Mar 9, 2018
    Pleasant Valley NY
    Full Name:
    Peter Serroukas
    Where the heck is the connector to attach the battery tender on a 2007 F430, I looked under glove box but nothing!

5. timwu12

timwu12 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2014
    TX
    If you don't have the Ferrari specific socket under your glove box, then you'll need to install your own pigtail to hook up your own battery tender.

Some place the pigtails at the battery terminal themselves (passenger side footwell) and some place them at the junction box behind the driver's seat. It depends on whose door you want to open to plug in your tender once it's parked in the garage.

6. Peter Serroukas

Mar 9, 2018
    Pleasant Valley NY
    Full Name:
    Peter Serroukas
    Thank you! I think I’ll go directly to battery, less margin for error.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Actually, either is quite simple and straight forward. Even with the provision under the passenger side dash, the previous owner of my car had a connector installed behind the driver's seat. I removed it myself...only a few screws to remove the cover and the connections are clearly marked.

8. Peter Serroukas

Mar 9, 2018
    Pleasant Valley NY
    Full Name:
    Peter Serroukas
    I read somewhere that there is a connection in the front trunk space under a plastic cover held down by 3 screws near the driver windshield wiper, have you heard of that? I will try looking behind the driver seat and maybe go that route. Thanks again.

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I haven't heard of that. The only thing to be aware of with connecting inside the car, is running the cable. Ferrari states in the manual they recommend the cable run at the very bottom, forward most position of the door opening... at the forward corner when you close the door. This will minimize any chance of pinching the cable.

10. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Some 360's were optionally equipped with an OEM battery tender with the connector under the panel in the location you described. The tender was a clunky affair. The newer CTEK chargers have more functionality. There an OEM charger on eBay that's been listed as "vintage' which is more apt than maybe they intended

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ferrari-Battery-Charger-Tender/122748387921?hash=item1c945fc251%3Ag%3A4ysAAOSwIaFZJuxs&_sacat=0&_nkw=ferrari+battery+tender&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.Xferrari+battery+tender.TRS0

11. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    Hey guys,
    Question for for you who currently is using CTEK 4.3
    I replaced my battery couple months ago (not sure if it's related, but battery tested good). So I plugged in my CTEK then I'll noticed the Red light (error) keeps coming up the next day. I'll reset it (unplug connected and plugged) hours later does the same thing.
    So I've been told that Battery Tender do good bad once in a while. True?? Any suggestions?
    Not sure how old my CTEK is but I will be ordering a new one
    Thanks!

12. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    You might try calling Ctek and see if they will warranty it. I was having similar problems with the factory Ferrari Cteck and just quit using it and got a Granite (Battery Saver), as recommended by Brian Crall (Rifledriver) and never looked back. There does seem to be a recurring theme of Cteks failing every so often....not sure you should stick with it.

Flea7 and Bob in Texas like this.
  13. aleary360

aleary360 Karting

Nov 23, 2015
    Westlake Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Al Leary
    Thanks for the information Mr f355spider!!!!!!

14. albkid

albkid Formula Junior

Jul 1, 2016
    Full Name:
    Jim
    1. The CTEK pigtail is attached to the battery terminals because the passenger door is generally more accessible.
    2. I have the CTEK six foot extension cable that is connected to the pigtail. I coil the extension cord on the carpet went the vehicle is in use.
    3. The extension cable runs under the door seal of the passenger door. No indication of any pinching after a couple of years of repeated use.
    3. The charger is outside the car and is always connected to the battery. It is easy to disconnect the charger from the extension cable because the connection is outside the car.

15. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    I have a 360 hooked up to a Deltran tender that goes into the 12v socket in the center console.

Zero wiring involved and it works great.

I run the cord out the passenger's side window on purpose so I see it and don't drive off with it still connected.

16. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Won't work on F430s forward, as the socket is tied to the ignition switch. This method works with the 360 on back though...as I used this with my 355, 328 and 308 I owned previously. The cigarette lighter in those is always "on".

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  17. philS

philS Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2008
    Metrowest MA
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Thanks for confirming -- I didn't know that about the 430. That's unfortunate since nowadays more than ever, you might want to be charging your phone, camera etc while the car is off.

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #68 f355spider, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    There are work arounds/alternatives to using the cigarette lighter socket when the car is off. I have a iPhone lightning cord adapter that plugs into the back of the factory Becker Cascade 6112 radio...it is always "on" and both charges and allows for streaming audio through the AUX input. The cable is also offered as a USB which also can charge and stream audio from other brand phones. Short of that, one can always easily tap in under the dash or behind the drivers seat and add a charging socket.

I believe the reason for the change is Ferrari has enough issues with their cars batteries going dead, they don't want to allow people to connect devices that add additional drain while parked.

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    I connected my pigtail to the terminals behind the driver's seat (under the carpeted panel). It's long enough to easily connect the standard cable from the CTEK yet remain out of the way and doesn't need to be coiled up inside the car. I then run the CTEK cable out the bottom of the door as in steps 3 and 4 above, except out the driver's side.

20. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    I too used the driver's side but could have routed to the passenger side behind the seats. The thought was that I won't forget and drive off while attached.

21. neil e dale

neil e dale Formula Junior
    BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    #71 neil e dale, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    thx ! just got my F430 and wondered where to connect! i see it depends on where they connected the charger leads! - most direct to the battery! yes, we would prefer to keep the charger out of the car as well! I am given to understand this is an issue as the car has an extreme parasitic draw of voltage fr the electrically greedy alarm system? LOL, we wonder if a small,. light lithium battery w/a battery isolator just for the alarm circuit might not be a good idea! ?? we prefer solutions not problems!

22. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I'm not convinced it is necessarily the alarm that is the culprit. And the problem is not necessarily particular to Ferraris, it is simply that the cars are not daily drivers like most cars. If one simply uses the battery tender provided with the car, then there is no problem. That or simply drive the car regularly.

neil e dale likes this.
  23. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale

24. neil e dale

BANNED

Aug 27, 2018
    Tucson AZ
    Full Name:
    neil e dale
    yes that would and does seem to solve the problem ( using a charger ) and everyone seems to do that . I have been researching for an article i'm writing on modern AGM (Absorbed Glass Matt ) batteries . and chargers so far I have donations from Duracell,Optima, Odessey, and Bosch ! I would like to determine the eitiology of the issue . my experience is that these batteries will maintain good voltage , an acceptable state of charge for a very long time absent any voltage draw typical of modern batteries .

25. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    #75 f355spider, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Yes, AGM batteries will typically have a longer service life, but they cannot overcome a parasitic draw. Also AGM car batteries are not new (modern) technology. Optima has been making them for over 20 years. They are simply entering the mainstream as long service intervals have become a marketing feature (who wants to check electrolyte levels, or worry about frequent battery replacement?). They are standard in many new cars like BMWs...heck my almost 10yo 430 Scud came with a Optima red top AGM as oem standard.

neil e dale likes this.