1988 Mercedes 560SL | FerrariChat

1988 Mercedes 560SL

Discussion in 'Ad Archives' started by Valenzo, Apr 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    #1 Valenzo, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Im only halfheartedly doing this but i need to face some facts. My collection of 11 has gotten to the point of silliness. When you can no longer shelter all your cars, some must go. Im starting with the least driven of the group but im only parting with one or two. Damnit! lol

I love this car! All my cars have a story... When i was 16 my parents ordered a Champagne / palomino color with Dayton wire wheels and it was one of the first cars i ever drove. I remember picking it up at the dealership and seeing it waiting in the service bay and it was stunning! I became so infatuated with it i volunteered for every errand that arose just so i could drive that SL... fast forward 30 years and i bought one for myself. This one is Desert Taupe / Oyster and its such an amazing example. Solid and strong and so very quiet, its such a drivers car. It truly makes me a bit ill to even consider selling... I believe im the third owner but the 2 before me were all in a family.

Comes with everything (color matching hardtop / brown perfect soft top, everything works except for the bulb in the third brake light (ive changed it but still wont illuminate so i gave up). It does have a ding and scratch on the chrome bumper fascia and the little round knob to pop the hardtop has come off.

I have Euro lights (square) for it (never installed) and will include them with the car IF it meets my asking. I paid 2k for them and they are still in the boxes.

65000 (+/-) original miles

Price... well basing it on whats currently available on the market, mine is better and therefore id like to get $28,000.00 but i may be too high or too low but thats what will make me say goodbye to my Lolito (named after my baby son)

These are the only pics i have on my office computer, if interested send me a pm and ill take or forward more.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. lucky strike

lucky strike Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Great color GLWS

3. slownrusty

slownrusty Formula Junior

Oct 1, 2014
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Slow Rusty
    Awesome car! GLWS

Your parents had great taste in cars! My dad bought a Ford Maverick that I had to be content with.

R107s are on the rise, so a great car to buy and attractive colors too. I like your collection from the pictures you've shared.

As a current 560SEC owner, I can share that ownership of this generation Mercedes is unparalleled.

4. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    sweetheart of a car!
    I have my moms 1984 380SL... bought new by my dad.
    she's a keeper.
    just need to fix that damn high idle problem....

5. lucky strike

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'll ck with one of my techs tomorrow for you on that problem.

6. lucky strike

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Disconnect the plug on the idle control valve and see if it goes higher.
    If it does go higher the problem is the control unit.
    That is the round thing on the top of the engine in the front with the two prong plug.

7. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    I'll try it...
    I've had an independent german car place check it out.
    pretty sure they said it needed a new idle control valve.
    total fix was going to be something like $1800.
    so, she has been on the lift for quite some time.....
    kind of unnerving pulling into the garage with the car pushing itself forward at 1800 RPM's!
    (my 308 killed me last year for maintenance, so the 380 was put on the back burner....)

8. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    You chatty cathy's going to buy my car or what?

9. lucky strike

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My 87 328 is almost done with my restoration.
    I would love to have the 560 on trade if your interested.

10. Oengus

Oengus F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

now thats funny

11. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    ... and i meant it as such.

12. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    If we are talking even trade, we could do that. (hey look at me, im not reducing my collections)

13. lucky strike

Apr 26, 2015
    Pompano Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hey, ya can't kill a guy for trying LOL.

14. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    I love the collection of 80s cars! Totally awesome

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I grew up in the 80's and my parents seemingly had the warewithall to have unusually nice cars. I never understood why there was always a newer and different one picking me up from school and it made it very hard to skip school. So i fell in love with these, from them, and bought them when i found a special one like theirs. The Rolls is 96 because ive always loved the lines of the end of the line Spurs.

Ted

16. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Ok, time to get a little more serious. Off to the detailer and then the studio for pics for the classic car market. Thank you everyone for your kind words and pm offers!

17. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    You see what's hapening with these don't you?

Three years ago I said in one of these threads "Better grab a good one now before it's too late" when the 20,000 mile cars were $25K. Then 18 months ago I repeated it when 20,000 mile cars were $32K. Now an 18,000 mile car around me just sold for $49,000, and a time capsule 4,000 mile car sold for $85,000.

It's like a switch got flipped and people suddenly give you the "Nice car mister" wave and thumbs u in an R107.

I have a few of these including an 88 560SL and an 85 German-Import 280Sl with a 5 speed. Comfortable robust cars with plentiful parts and tons of knowledge out there. You can still grab sub 100K cars for under $20K and a car like this- fairly low mileage, interesting color scheme (Seems 99.9% of all 80s Mercedes were painted "SMoke SIlver") for about what it costs to paint a W113 280SL.

If I had even one INCH of space left I'd try and buy this one too!

18. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    Hey Ted...Jay is right,there's been a switch flipped..the market has awoken to the car MB made in the 107...there has been a couple lately on BAT and all sold for pretty good coin...your car offers a tremendous value...it goes w/o saying GLWS,but you'd be fine holding firm.
    We have a CB trip in the near future..I've been tied up,eww have I been tied up but...and I commit to an effort to contact y'all during the trip,so here's to that.
    Hope all is good,cheers RE

19. 308inatl

308inatl Karting
    BANNED

Aug 24, 2006
    Where is the car located? May be interested.

Jeff
    404-217-3750

20. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Jeff

Its located at my home near Carolina Beach in NC.

21. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Hey Ralph

Its been awhile, where ya been? Thanks for your words and i couldnt agree with you more. When you get back down here send me a pm, we'll go for a ride (bike, car, golf cart or boat)

Ted

22. 308inatl

308inatl Karting
    BANNED

Aug 24, 2006
    Heading out of the country on a vacation, but hit me up by text if it's still for sale mid May. Thx