Misconceptions about driving a Ferrari | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Misconceptions about driving a Ferrari

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by 2fastforu, Apr 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phanliu

phanliu Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 21, 2015
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Well said that is a major issue in our country today. It seems that most people have given up working hard as government dependency rose among them and that explains the less and less educated people in our society. Most will only envy these days.

2. JPA

JPA Karting

Feb 3, 2016
    Southern California
    When I graduated high school, I was looking forward to finally being in a more mature and adult setting as I settled in the University . After four years of that , I couldn't wait to go to graduate school to get away from the d**kheads in the undergrad program..got there and realized that no matter where you go, you will always be surrounded by the good the bad and the ugly..
    I'm retired so I couldn't give a rats s, what people think now.. However , when I was working, I knew that people were not as happy as I was about my success and until you do retire and are not dependent on others for your income. Fly under the radar
    Good luck

3. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    About a decade ago I had a 328 GTS - which I paid about $50k for. (And I was much younger then!) I used to joke that those folks in their new Mercedes 5's and BMW's 5/7's paid than I did mine!

Clearly the Ferrari brand is emotionally evocative for people!

4. clar

clar Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2013
    Singapore
    Full Name:
    Clarence
    If i am an investment banker, then it would probably do me no harm to show up in front of my target clientele in a Ferrari. However, if your target clientele is the public service or other lower tiers of the food chain, it would have a considerably different effect. For those who advocate screwing what everybody else says and do what u want, i say it's a tad irresponsible if it's said without any qualification. For those trust fund kids, it's perfectly fine not giving a hoot to anything else. For the rest of us hardworking business men or employees, let's practise some prudence and good sense.

5. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #130 noone1, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    You aren't being specific enough. You already had the OP say that his boss told him not to drive a Ferrari. Isn't that proof enough that clearly there is a problem with it that others are aware of?

The statement you just made shows exactly what the problem is. You said it yourself, Ferrari = successful. You're saying having money and nice things is a sign of success. No, that's not true, and no one wants to hear that or respects that.

You're also equating the success of the owner of a business or a business in general to that of the employees who actually do all the work.

And why do you think there is such outrage these days about executive compensation? CEOs are getting paid insanely well compared to the average employee, and yet middle-class wages aren't growing and in many cases the companies are giving **** results. Not every executive is Steve Jobs. Look at the CEO of Yahoo -- a complete failure of a CEO who is walking away with **** tons of money. How about the former Apple executive who ruined JCP? The CEO of Valeant who has saddled the company with debt while pursuing a business model that is clearly flawed now?

There are a lot of good reasons not to equate wealth with success, and a lot of good reasons not to show it whatsoever to employees who earn a pittance in comparison.

6. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Like most emotive issues on a forum both you and The Mayor are correct, but both of you have encouraged the other to harden your respective positions :)

I wouldn't dream of driving up to most of my clients in my F40 for example. It would be highly inappropriate, disrespectful and for some senior procurement officers downright provocative.

But another major client (a major global auto maker) would piss his pants if I drove up in my car, stop the meeting and demand a drive. For my office, they know I own Ferraris and if the day is good, I have no problem driving one in. Over the years my senior managers say they now gauge my mood by what car turns up. The 599 GTO = big contract won! Would I drive any of my F cars to a funeral? Definitely not. Would I give a terminally ill kid whose parents live in a tiny house so small it doesn't have a front door a drive in one of my F cars? Yes I did, and I would do it again, and again.

Very few things are black or white; it just needs a modicum of common sense mixed with a decent helping of EQ.

7. JeffNicolson

JeffNicolson Rookie

Mar 15, 2016
    Dubai
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Funny how the brand also makes a difference, i had an Audi R8's and used as daily drivers for 3 years. Drove it everywhere, work, client meeting etc etc.

As a director of a company people loved the car and lots of positive comments all around.

Personally I saw it as a successful executive car.

However my new red 458 i only take to work on a friday! Maybe not as much as a daily driver but personally the stigma with a Ferrari is defiantly different.

8. clutchplate

clutchplate Rookie

Dec 16, 2005
    I would take a California to a client's house. Not a 458-too showy. If I had to take my 458 I would probably tell them my Ford escape was in the shop and they gave me the F car as a loaner.

9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    AND THIS is the mindset of the Bernie Sanders lover. I am sorry bub most of the world equates wealth with success. Only the navel gazing millennial thinks otherwise. its not the ONLY measure of success of course, don't tag me with that, but it is a HUGE indicator.

There are two places I won't drive my Ferrari.... to a funeral or an IRS audit. Everywhere else is fair game.

Money may not buy you happiness but it will pay for the search! ;)

10. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #135 noone1, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Well, most of the world equates wealth with success probably because most of the world lives in poverty or low income, with 70% of it living on less than $10/day :rollseyes:

When you back out luck, the wealthiest people really aren't even close to the most talented or brightest. Wealth is little indication of talent or success beyond one good idea and some general business skills. And of course, one good idea will give you the illusion that 1000 other people are super successful even though they're just riding the coattails of someone else's idea.

I'd even go as far to say that the brightest and most important minds in modern history aren't even close to the wealthiest. Most aren't exactly poor, but rich they most certainly are not.

11. 997usa

997usa Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2014
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Full Name:
    Robert J.
    I LOVE nice cars - 911's, BMW M's, Ferrari, you name it, but there is a difference between bringing an M5 to a client (which by all accounts, look like a 'normal' 5-series) and a Red Ferrari (or any color for that matter).

While the client 'say' they love it, there is undoubtedly the remarks going on that 'we are paying them too much' for their sales rep / consultant / vendor, to be driving a Ferrari.

I would drive avg joe car (Corolla?) to your client and drive the F-car everywhere else.
    More classy and avoids a lot of discussion

12. 458 at 50

458 at 50 Karting

Oct 17, 2014
    Arizona
    I agree with e man, I have never driven my ferrari to work and especially as a consultant you can't give the wrong message and if I seen a consultant driving a Ferrari I wouldn't be to happy either and I own one. It is just perception but as a fellow consultant you should know how important perception is in the business.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

13. ducatir8cer

ducatir8cer Karting

Dec 25, 2014
    I guess it depends on the business you're in. As others have said, driving a vehicle that potentially costs 2x-3x what you pay most of your employees is very inconsiderate. Also, I think the brand plays a large part of it as well. I often see Porsches, Maserati's, Jaguars in the parking lot, primarily driven by employees. I guarantee, someone on the executive leadership team shows up in a F-car, regardless of the model will create issues because of the perception of prestige and expense associated with a Ferrari. Not saying it's fair, but it's real. Just save the Ferrari for personal use outside the office/ business. It's not worth the hassle.

14. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think the answer here is we can debate whether its right or wrong, but its pretty clear in the OP's post it's become a distraction - and that is never good business.

I think the answer on where you can take the Ferrari will be specific to each of our lives....

FWIW, 99% of the interactions I've had with my Ferraris are positive and I've encountered most people saying things like I want to achieve that one day- not being jealous. But there are always the 1%. One time I had someone give me the finger. But then again, my friend with a Porsche 911 was spit upon.....

15. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    Like I said before, I was naive to think I can drive anywhere I want and people won't mind. I learned it the hard way by my upper management telling me not to drive it to clients for the reasons you mentioned. Not a big deal for me. I'll just drive it in the weekends. Thanks all for your feedback.

16. 2fastforu

2fastforu Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2006
    My daily commuter is a Dodge Durango:) One would never guess I have spider in the garage. As the kids get older and I don't have to hall all the kids in the Durango, I might get a BMW M4 as a daily driver.

17. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    The op says he is trying to "garner more business" and wants to know if driving a $300,000 car to a "new client", might influence the deal. He tells us he has been "identified as the Ferrari guy" and that "word around" is .. "this leaves a bad impression that I'm driving a Ferrari to the client".

He voices concern about the "perception" .... since we're trying to win more business from the client".

I read with interest many of the responses. So many here seem to want to convey they are without feelings or care what others think. I have to wonder then, why Facebook is so popular.

What is the correct answer to the OP? "Don't care what others think"? "Screw the customer, if he can't stand the fact you are successful, he does not deserve your business?

My advice to anyone wanting to win is to properly assess your competitor or client, and then act in a manner that gets the job done. You want to impress someone with bravado or arrogance, or inconsideration, or worse, be prepared to pay the price. In this case, nothing to lose leaving the car at home and arguably something to gain. Not rocket science.

Finally, for those who who say we don't care what people think, we betray ourselves by answering any of these communications. Clearly, we want to be heard and considered. The real "tell" is when someone disagrees with us and whether we respond or not. Best

Best

18. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    How incredibly sad. Do you hide your pretty wife and children too?

So, it's the wrong message to send that you are successful?

Maybe you should act poor so they feel sorry for you. It might be better for business?

I really can't believe so many owners are embarrassed or worried to drive their own cars as it might make them look "wealthy". Why do you have it then?

19. RBK

RBK F1 Rookie

Jul 27, 2006
    Calif and Nev
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I seldom disagree with you, but want to share a different perspective.

Without understanding his "business" or personality, how do we judge?

Circumstances often dictate behavior.

Maybe he enjoys his car on weekends or for special events? Don't you agree, each of us needs to find our own balance?

Best

20. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    Perhaps it would help if you expose your cost structure to your client so as to show how you arrive at the deal $$$ figures. Presumably the existence of the spider has no effect on that. The "theory," which may be flawed, is that a rational approach to the problem might put it to bed and enable you to move forward without further worry. Of course to the extent that it is emotional or value-laden, a rational approach will not work. It is where we are.

21. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Just like others that said, don't drive the F to an IRS audit; or when CEOs asked for bailouts and flew their corporate jets...similar reaction for the general public. We are fortunate to have these toys. We should enjoy it with liked minds. The Mayor I assume you are still in Vegas, certain areas will welcome such affluence; others don't.

22. marknkidz

marknkidz Formula 3

Oct 7, 2004
    so cal
    Full Name:
    mark
    have not read all the replies...

double edged sword. One could say, hey this guy is successful I want him handling my business! as opposed to guy driving around in a 85 Gran Torino!

other side, this guy is making a boat load of money!! he definitely is charging too much for his services...

23. Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige F1 Veteran

Nov 7, 2011
    Three Places
    True dat! And look at the current occupant of the WH who stokes that to the extreme.

24. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    I had made my one comment on this thread and moved on. I just reread many of the responses and this one strikes a chord with me.
    Taken to its extreme, a complete lack of empathy towards another's feelings is called sociopathy.
    As I said, I am a physician. Sadly many patients I see are literally remanded to a hospital against their will. Others are taken by ambulance as they are so sick that emergent care is needed. While it is true they "need" my or other physician's services, it was not elective on their part. The comment about the plumbing supply owner driving his F12 is a good counter point. Nobody has to buy their supplies from him. But when a person is literally forced for many reasons to use your services and they see you with an expensive car OF ANY MAKE, it can set up a dynamic that is bad at many levels. One is the way they relate to you when making recommendations. The other is that if their is a bad outcome they REALLY want to make you pay. After all, "you can afford it."
    I applaud everyone who has no issue with sticking their middle finger up to the world. To think that when you do that it has no knock on effect is naive.
    As far as the wife/kids comment goes, yes, people do get jealous of others' families as well. The difference is, that is about them, not you having a choice in the matter.
    Lastly, if I could drive my car and have no one see me (especially the police) I would be ecstatic. I love my car for how it feels, looks, and the history. As a show of wealth, no!
    Best

25. zakeen

zakeen Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2004
    Czech Republic
    I agree with almost every you say TheMayor, expect this line here. I am in a different position then most. Im a sportsman, so people just look at me same say, hey its #### and his Ferrari in a good way. Sure I have work outside of my sporting career and at times I wont take one of my "nice" cars to that meeting because while everything you say is true, if that "one" business deal could fall back on "their" stupid opinion then no, I wont take a risk on that deal.

But this quote you have above..... Why do we have them? definitely not to look "wealthy" by any terms. I am proud what I have achieved in my young age and would be more then happy to drive my "nice" cars around the mountains and directly back home to my garage. I drive them to the shopping center just to get a coffee. But to risk losing a business deal when I have employee's to pay, no I wont take that risk due to how other people shouldn't act and their behavior can affect a deal.