Memories - Where are they now? | FerrariChat

Memories - Where are they now?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Bob Zambelli, Jul 27, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Back in the 70s & 80s, I spent a lot of time with the FCA, helping run track events and car shows, as well as spending lots of driving time on the track.

During that time, I met many really enthusiastic and interesting people who also participated: Names like Joe Rosen, Carle Conway, Art Wiener, Jack Bloemendahl, Carl Cantera, Peter Mackenzie-Sanders, Ernie Hennessy, Norm Natress, Jerry Reckless, Sid Silverman, Warren Walker, Ron Spangler and Joe Williams. Many others that I can’t recall at the moment. I remember a really great group of guys from Long Island and NYC.

While going through some of my old photos, I can’t help wondering, where are they now? Actually, I know where some of them are – but I really am curious as to what they’re up to nowadays.

Still driving? Still in Ferraris?

Bob Z.

PS – my first track event was at Watkins in 1976. One fellow drove from Minnesota in a 250 GTO!!

2. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    That would have been Bob Bodin in the very first 250GTO s/n 3223GT. I recently acquired a number of old Prancing Horse issues from the 1970s, 80s and early 90s so I have been reading about these people as well, however, I do not know where they are or what their interests are today. Nonetheless, I'm sure some of them have some very interesting stories!

-Jarrett

3. jusdriveit

jusdriveit Karting

Sep 11, 2005
    Do you know Richard Trask or Avi Brand?
    They were in the FOC in the NYC area in the early 70's.
    I am looking for info on those two gentelmen, if anyone knows.
    Thanks,
    Mark

4. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    I was quite active in the FCA from the mid-70s to the late-80s.
    I bought my GTC in November, 1975. It was the first twelve cylinder car sold by FAF in Tucker Georgia.
    My first meet was at Watkins Glen, NY in 1976 and I was amazed at the turnout.
    FOUR 250 GTOs on the track and really going at it – Carle Conway, Paul Pappalardo, a Mr Gelles and Bob Bodin. Someone told me that Mr Bodin drove his GTO from Minnesota!

And I went to quite a few other track events – Lime Rock, Mosport, Mid-Ohio, Bridgehampton, etc. I actually met and had a beer with Paul Newman at the Interlaken Inn near Lime Rock.
    Met a lot of really fine and interesting people and I wonder what became of them?

Here’s a short list and their cars (from memory so it may not be accurate – please forgive any mistakes and/or misspellings!)

Joe Rosen – 308 GTB, Daytona Spider, 275 LM, California Spider and maybe something else.
    Peter Sachs – 250 GTO rebodied to 1964 body, 250 Testa Rossa which I think won LeMans.
    Lowell (can’t remember his last name) – 275 LM.
    Paul Pappalardo – 250 GTO (#5111 as I recall), 330 P and alloy bodied California Spider Competition.
    John Giordano – 275 GTB, 365 GTC and I believe a “P” car of some sort.
    Manfred Lampe – 250 TDF, 512 M (or S – can’t be sure)
    John Giels – 250 TDF and California Spider.
    Carle Conway – 250 GTO (#5575), 412 MI (#0744), 250 GTO (#4713), Prototype Dino (206 engine, longitudinally mounted), Testarossa, 365 GT/4 2+2, 308 GT4 and maybe something else.
    Bob and Caryn Coates - Daytona Coupe and Boxer.
    Dominick Incantalupo – 308 GT4 and some neat little 206 (maybe a Tasman series car)
    Sid Silverman – 250 Lusso and Allard.
    Bob Bodin – 250 GTO (#3223).
    Chuck Queener – California Spider
    Jack Bloemendahl – 365 GT 2+2
    Ron Spangler – lots of cars including an early Daytona Spider conversion!
    Jerry Reckless (Canada) – Daytona Coupe
    Peter McKenzie-Sanders (Canada) – Daytona Coupe
    Vito Scavone (Canada) - Boxer

These are a few names that I recall – I’m sure there’s more. The track events of the 70s and 80s were very well attended. People really drove their cars.
    I was fortunate to both ride in and drive many of these wonderful cars.

So, here’s the question: Where are these people now? Are they still into Ferraris?
    Do any of you know any of these these gentlemen?
    Bob Z.

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Yes, several of them I know.

Joe Rosen's 250 LM was 5901. He bought it from Bob Bodin. Joe's California had the body re-worked to be symmetrical. In 1979 Joe drove his 308 from NY to Elkhart Lake in the middle of the gas crisis.

Bodin's GTO was 3223. He has a TdF. Used to have a stunning collection of great Ferraris.

Bob Coates was at the FCA national board meeting 2 years ago.

Lowel is Hedberg (sp?). 250 LM with the long nose.

Peter Sachs' TR was a 1960 or 61. He may still have it.

Queener's was someone else's.

P. Paul still has a/some Ferraris.

Ron Spangler is still active in the Ferrari world.

6. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  7. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I'm impressed by the accuracy of your memory!

Say… in the mid 70s I don't suppose you might have noticed a regular 250 PF II Cab with covered headlights and a roll bar? It was painted white and had a red interior. The owner was a N.Y. man.

The reason I'm asking is because I've had the car since the late 70s, and when I got it there were cups to hold a (very unsafe) roll bar welded into the body, behind the seat. My guess is that a weekend warrior put them there, but who he was I do not know.

8. sam231

sam231 Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2004
    RI
    Sat with J. Giels a couple of years ago. Going strong. Not sure what Ferraris he owns at this point.

9. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Memory Lane! Almost all those names are familiar; in those days if we didn't know someone we at least knew his name. I hardly know anyone any more. BooHoo!

10. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    Joe Marchetti was also part of that era. I bought and sold through him during that time period. Quite the gentleman and he also hosted some fantastic summer picnics.

11. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Back in the 70s & 80s, I spent a lot of time at Watkins, Lime Rock and Mosport.

I got to know a great bunch of guys from the Toronto/Mississauga area.

Some names that come to mind (please excuse spelling): Peter Mckenzie-Sanders, Jerry Reckless, Ernie Hennesy, Norm Natress, Wayne ????? (drove a 308 and a 427 Cobra), Vito Scavone.

Any of these fellows still active?

If so, I'd like to hear from them.

Bob Z.

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #12 El Wayne, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    https://ca.linkedin.com/in/peter-mckenzie-sanders-01986545

14. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    We had some really good times at Lime Rock, Watkins and Mosport.
    The Canadian guys would really drive hard and pushed their Daytonas to the limits.
    When at the Watkins event, many stayed at the Corning Hilton but we "diehards" camped at the Seneca Lodge, a very popular gathering place dating back to the original Watkins races, through the streets.
    Back in the Grand Prix days, one could find the likes of Phil Hill, Jackie Stuart, Sterling Moss, Graham Hill and other legends just hanging out at the Lodge.
    The Brubaker family ran and as far as I know, still run the Lodge.
    If any of you happen to be in Watkins, take a drive up to the Lodge and have dinner and then go to the bar for a beer - probably still less than a dollar!

Anyone remember those days?

Bob Z.

15. Bertocchi

Bertocchi Formula 3
    Consultant

Jan 28, 2004
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Castelhano
    Unfortunately many of the people you ask about have since passed away, I know we lost Sid Silverman. Pappalardo children owned many of the cars in that collection and when they came of age they were sold. He may still have the SWB California #2015 but I am not sure.

The Gelles brothers got out of Ferraris all together and Bill got into Motorcycles. He was racing a Stanguellini last time I saw him. Carl Cantera is very private and was older when I did some work for him. He was a good friend of my father's and not sure if he is still with us.

Joe Rosen's ex-wife Sandy is now married to Jim McNeil and races his GTO regularly. I don't know where Joe is. He was in the music business and Sandy said that business was not good.

Greg Garrison is gone. Gerald Roush is also in the big garage in the sky. Nereo Iori and Franco Genessi left us a few years back as did Gianni Diena and Romano Lupi.

Peter Sachs has kept his collection in tact for the most part. He is active with the Klementaski Photo collection, as well as Peter Coltrins archives.

There are more but they are not coming to mind.

16. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Bob, I remember hanging out with you in the 80's at Mosport. Your post brings back happy memories of that time. Luckily, I have pictures!

(Is that you in the white overalls?)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's the driver's meeting. I think it's 1986. Joe Rosen is getting ready to address the crowd. I think I see part of Reckless - recognise anyone else?

18. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's Reckless's Daytona and my Dino in front of the Seneca Inn. The serious folk all stayed there - it was closer to the track than the Corning Hilton.

19. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    One more: the pits from the control tower in 1985:

20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel

no photo here to see :(

21. ghenne

ghenne Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 8, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    One more: the pits from the control tower in 1985:

Attached Files:

22. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Nice picture, I like the Lusso Typo GTO.
    For sure today à line of all vintage cars in front a track.. It seems impossible today

23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    330LMB? Great car.

Christian.Fr likes this.
  24. Christian.Fr

Christian.Fr Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 9, 2005
    Full Name:
    Christian.Fr
    Yes it looks #4713 LHD,
    There s also a 206 s and various GTB4 G4

25. Bob Zambelli

Bob Zambelli F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Manning, SC
    Full Name:
    Robert G. Zambelli
    Yes, we had some great times at Watkins.
    Lots of vintage cars and all of them spent fast times on the track.
    The car in the first photo is indeed GTO 4713, owned by Mr Conway at the time.
    It may be with Mr Wong now.
    The second photo is the black Boxer, owned at the time by one of our Canadian friends.
    That's my black 308 GT/4, S/N 13996 in the background.
    The arrow points to me.
    I was in charge of tech inspection at the time and I can relate some interesting and funny stories if anyone is interested!

Bob Z.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login