328 Inner Tie Rod - PLEASE HELP | FerrariChat

328 Inner Tie Rod - PLEASE HELP

Discussion in '308/328' started by phild328, Apr 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    I have a bad 328 inner tie rod. It is for the early 328 with the old suspension geometry, it is therefor a shorter rod than the "88". It absolutely is bad, it is not the common bushing problem. It is not like the 308 where the rod's ball joint comes apart. I don't think it is serviceable, so I am looking for a replacement part. Again this is the INNER tie rod, NOT the outer (the outer is available anywhere).
    I did search the forum the best i could and I did not find anything. I would have to believe this could cross reference to a very common car. All that needs to match is the thread and the length.
    I did contact one Pantera place so far, but the Pantera is the same as the 308 and therefor the inner tie rod is not the same, so I don't think the Pantera scene can help in this case.
    Summer is here and the Ferrari is on jack stands with no rack. Help.

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    RicambiUSA???

Algar....TRutlands.....

Do you see the Ferrari identification number in any of the on line diagrams???

Ask fastradio....he's near you (East Coast, anyway)....

3. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    #3 Martin308GTB, Apr 25, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Unfortunately the only ID no. you find in the Ferrari parts diagrams are for the complete rack and the gaiters. No internals specified.
    Superformance in the UK stocks a RHD rack only rack and inner tie rods and gaiters for GBP 195.00
    I assume LHD or RHD doesn't matter regarding the tie rods and the rack you could resell.
    But I also have to mention, that there have been discrepancies regarding 328 racks from Superformance in the past. So you should discuss with them prior to a possible purchase to be sure to get the correct parts.

What exactly is bad beyond repair on your tie rod?

Best Regards
    Martin

4. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It sounds like the helm joint itself is knackered......

5. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    The nylon/teflon(?) bearing in the ball joint is worn. The ball floats around in the socket it is so loose. It is pressed in and not repairable.

I found one. But it is not cheap. It is at Mr. Fiat.
    Ferrari 308 QV 328 Steering Track Rod - 308 QV 328 - Ferrari - Italian Cars

Looking at Mr. Fiat's other prices, it seems some things are marked up about 4x what they should be. I hate being taken. I bet this part crosses to something, like a Yugo and can be bought for $25 somewhere. So now the question is does someone know the crossover part? or a cheaper place?
    As mentioned, it doesn't have a ferrari part number, so it isn't on the parts diagrams that a number of ferrari parts sites use. I have reached out to several ferrari parts places via email but have not heard back from them. I suspect they don't have them because ferrari doesn't supply them.

6. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Have you tried 1) GT Car Parts, Dave or Bill 2) Ferrari - Red Parts, Brian Keegan 3) FerrParts, Punu....?

7. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Ferrari didn't make the rack, hence repair parts are not listed or availble from your normal parts sources.The inner tie rod is an odd one, as it is metric on one end and SAE on the other. Also, there were several variations of the steering rack...

8. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    $255 for an inner rod. That is offensive. Buy a used rack (there was one on sale in the for sales section) and remove the rods. Now you have 2.

9. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
  10. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    since Superformance uses same rack # for 308 and pre-88 racks, the inner tie rod they sell may fit.:
    part number is FER07005 on this page:

Steerimg Parts for Ferrari 308, 208, 288 GTO & F40 - Superformance

11. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    I contacted Superformance and they don't have it. I also heard back from All Ferrari Parts and they don't have it. I assume any Ferrari dealer won't have it. It would have to be sourced as an aftermarket part. I think they re-manufacture them or make them new which is the reason for the high cost.
    I contacted TRW to see if this is something that we can put on their radar and maybe they can help us out in the future. Ultimately we (all the 328 owners) may need this part at some point.
    So my other idea is to buy a 308 rack. I think this is what Superformance sells because it is much easier to source and fix. Can anyone confirm that this is a perfectly good solution? The rack is made differently, so my main concern with be the mounting points and the location of the input shaft, I don't know if those changed. I don't care that the car would not be 100% original. This isn't a concourse car. There are brand new 308 racks on ebay for $120 shipped. I would think that the 308 geometry is the same as the early 328's. I would have a totally new rack for half the cost of the track rod. And I am not totally 100% trusting of the rest of my rack as to when the next part will fail.
    As for the used racks for sale, the recent one was a late 328 rack, it will not work, it is longer.
    I actually have a late 328 long rack (I bought it a while ago before I knew the difference). So it is for sale! I probably could machine down the track rods to make it fit, but I don't want to molest it, it is 100% original and in good working condition.

12. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    I think I answered my own question. I looked at the Superformance part #s on the website and the early 328 part number is the same as the 308. So they just say screw it and put in the old 308 rack. The early 328 rack is pretty rare as it was only used for 2 years.
    Though I would still be interested to hear from someone who has done this.
    Also, what do you think of "BuyAutoParts" on ebay. Their rack for $120 says 105 sold recently, so some of you bought one. Any problems with it?

13. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    Please post a link. This seems low to me.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If it were me, and all else has failed, I would take one of the inner rod from the later 328 and go to a machine shop and say "cut it to this length, thread the end for this size" and I bet it is $100.

15. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    Brand New Manual Steering Rack and Pinion Gear Assembly for Ferrari Dino 308 GT4 | eBay

or directly

1980 Ferrari 308 Manual Steering Rack Manual Steering Model 80-70007 AN

This part 80-70007AN seems to be at a bunch of different sites, I don't know who the parent company is that makes them. I am guessing it is not even a TRW rack and doesn't have any TRW components, it is just a total aftermarket china deal. They have a 80-7000 R which costs more, like $300, and has a $150 core. These are probably the rebuilt TRW rack. But hey, for $120, its worth a shot. Just wondering what others thought of them, people obviously have been buying them.

16. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    But if it's a machine shop not being familiar with automotive parts, insist on a rolled thread.
    I seriously doubt, that the track rod ends thread on the tie bars is cut, what would be kind of suicidal. Of course except on the chinese or indian $120.00 racks.

Best
    Martin

17. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    I don't trust that sites like this will source a proper part, especially when they claim they can rebuild a 308 power steering rack:

1980 Ferrari 308 Power Steering Rack Power Steering Model - Rebuild Your Unit only 80-00882 R

18. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ask Rifledriver.

I would also ask a legit Dealer, Algar or Tonkin.

They are supporting the 328s much better than they once did.

Also try the England dealer UK Classic Parts.
    They got the entire Factory inventory dumped on them at one point a few years ago.

Good luck!

19. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
    You have a link?

The UK Classic Parts I found services Minis.

20. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/

Don't know regarding 328 racks but I asked for a 308 rack three years ago. They had none.
    But it's worth asking.

Best Regards
    Martin

21. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    the old mini has the same specifications for Tie rod I believe....

Guido

22. Martin308GTB

Martin308GTB F1 Rookie

Jan 22, 2003
    Black Forest Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin N.
    the same rack, but different tie rods. Probably shorter ones, if one compares track between Mini and 308.

Best
    Martin

23. phild328

phild328 Rookie

Aug 2, 2004
    Lebanon, PA
    I was leaning towards the cheap 308 rack, but I realized that the mounts aren't going to work with it. The 328's rack has the skinny tube all the way to the passenger side. Whereas the 308 has that cast housing that holds the famous bushing. That housing is where the mount goes and so my 328 mount is going to be too small. I would have to find a 308 mount. I would prefer to go to a 308 rack since all the parts are available. But right now I am leaning towards buying the $250 track rod unless I find a deal on a 308 mount.

24. Robz328

Robz328 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 16, 2009
    ATL, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Rob Hemphill
  25. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil