2016 Cali T Owner - in a couple of days | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2016 Cali T Owner - in a couple of days

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by JasTex, Mar 11, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    @JasTex
    Do you like this turbo sound?

2. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I had the exhaust valves opened by the dealership prior to me collecting her, so she's grumbled away nicely in the lower revs since I've had her. I've run her in quite gently, not going too hard on the throttle until I hit 650 miles. Currently at about 850 miles.

During the run in time I was getting some burbles on down shifts, and some nice cracks on up shifts (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd). Then I hit 700 miles. Not sure if it's in my mind or my driving style getting more used to the car but her personality seemed to change. I'm getting a lot more audible feedback from the car....a lot more rumbles (lasting longer) when I'm coasting down between 4th to 3rd, and 3rd to 2nd. Last week I pulled away from a 4way stop sign in my neighborhood and at the same revs as I had been doing previously when up-shifting, the crack has turned into a starting pistol. Caught me by surprise, was thinking holy sh@t my neighbors are going to kill me LOL.

Long winded way of answering your question but IMHO the Cali T has a nice sound that you work for. Regular driving she's quiet and unassuming but she barks when you want her to. I've actually renamed driving in true 'Auto' to 'Stealth Mode' but have found that I automatically press the Auto button off, after pressing the start button, so can't really comment on any changes I've noticed in that mode.

Comparing to my previous normally aspirated car. My GTS would snort, burp, fart at any opportunity she had. She had zero manners on the road :) but in my opinion the Cali T has manners. If the two were side by side at some traffic lights the Maz would be sat there like a dog straining at a leash and all hell would let loose when the lights turned green as she gnashed her teeth spraying drool all over the road, but.....without any of the drama, the Cali T would be pulling further and further away and would let out a nice rifle shot sound (Cavallino language) telling the GTS to take a chill pill.

3. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Jason,
    In your thread about the Capristo or Frequency Intelligent exhaust for your Cali T I've quoted a sound comparison simple test that I made between a Cali T with a standard exhaust and my 2010 Cali with a Capristo exhaust. For this comparison I've used very basic definitions of sound like for instance bass and treble just because my english vocabulary is limited. After reading the last paragraph of your above text I'm very impressed with the way you were able to translate so well sounds into words "....snort,burt, fart.......rifle shot...." to describe your unmannered aspirated previous Mazi. I fully agree with you that the Cali T has manners but in the particular case of my aspirated Cali I only hear "zero manners" when the exhaust valves are fully opened manually. Than with that set-up I think it is one of the most unmannered cars I've driven.
    I happen to have another car which is turbo like your Cali T and when I pull from a traffic light I have exactly the sensation you've described, great acceleration and a lack of drama, the job very well done without fussing, a bit the German way. However when I'm in a traffic light with my Cali everything is quite different. If I happen to select the unmannered mode with the valves fully open and press the accelerator to the bottom on the green light it's almost impossible that anyone around can be indifferent because it's a one car show, a unique experience and a mixing of great sound emotions and acceleration when upshifting. People always tell me what a fantastic Ferrari sound and acceleration but very few can say that it makes 3,9 sec/ 100 Km or whatever.

4. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Hey Mario...your English is way better than my Southern European :)

Thanks for your comments comparing the exhausts. Have been doing more research on Cali T systems and settled on one that I believe will meet what I'm looking for.

Having said all that, the standard exhaust (with valves open) has grown on me as I've got used to getting the special effects out of it, which are fantastic for the turbo'd engine.

Will let you know my thoughts comparing standard to after market when I get the new system fitted. Will post that back in my other thread.

5. good2go

good2go Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2016
    Can you explain?

6. JasTex

JasTex Karting

Feb 21, 2016
    DFW Area
    Full Name:
    Jason
    My opinion only....I'm no expert....and sounds of cars are real personal and down to the listeners taste :)

The exhaust note on my car seems to have improved as the car has gone through the run-in period. What I mean is that it makes more rumbling noises, pops and gurgles as you go up and down through the various revs. The exhaust is taking the exhaust pulses and more easily working them into various sounds as the gas pressures change coming through the pipes. Ferrari spent a long time working the exhaust manifold pipes to be the same length before the exhaust system starts. That is not easy to do, they did it for a reason, I think they wanted to have the gasses enter the exhaust at the same pressure from each cylinder so that they could manage the bass output they wanted. They needed to add bass to the sound as Ferrari didn't want the turbo engine sounding like a lawn mower that some Japanese cars suffer from i.e. Nissan GTR. Did I write that.....was meant to be just thinking it.

The sound on the Cali T's standard exhaust is real nice. You notice the bass tone in the exhaust. The volume is in my mind kept to a lower level though due to the bass which Ferrari needed to add as the engine has a flat plane crank which naturally generates a higher pitch tone which would be exaggerated after added the turbos. If they didn't add the bass into the exhaust the car would sound like a 6 year old girl shrieking after getting a puppy as a surprise birthday gift.

Adding the bass has turned the volume down though....maybe it's the baffles in the rear boxes. Ferrari I believe acknowledges this as they have a 'sport' exhaust on the HS which apparently raises the volume up by a couple of decibels. A couple of decibels is actually quite a lot.

Bear with me....you'll see where I'm going further down. There's loads of videos out there on YouTube that shows someone at a cars and coffee event or in some parking lot revving the guts out of their car, and everyone stood around going ooh and aah!! In my mind total waste of time....it tells you nothing about how the exhaust really sounds and the engineering that has gone into the design of how the engine and exhaust work in harmony to get that exotic sound. Usually it's just loud. Remove the whole exhaust off a Honda Civic and do a blind test on the listeners with the thing just below red line and some would still gush with ooh's and aah's. I want to know what the exhaust sounds like when your just driving around.

I mentioned the Cali T makes you work to get the nice exotic sounds. Shifting up at the right revs in the lower gears gets the pressure just right to get a backfire, but the exhaust changes that to a high pitch rifle shot....which is stunning. If your not at the specific revs to get the rifle shot there is a nice throaty kapow sound. Shifting down the gears gets throaty rumbles and gurgles as high and low pressure gasses work their way down through the exhaust. Flooring the car is music to my ears. Timing at revs or figuring out when to change down during over runs is what I mean by having to work for it. Some cars including my old car could achieve the noises with zero knowledge or effort by the driver. The Cali T needs some driver awareness.

My valves are opened permanently....all this does is make the car sounds slightly louder when burbling away to itself at low revs. Some people on this forum are concerned about droning noise in the cabin but I don't hear that. In fact I find that the burbling noise (not droning) actually disappears after you hit about 1,500 to 2,000 rpm. Sounds great idling in enclosed spaces and as you are gently pulling off from a standing start.

Where companies like Capristo, Novitec, and Fabspeed seem to have got it right for the aftermarket exhausts is raising the pitch of the sound at medium revs and increasing the volume in low to mid revs. At high revs both pitch and volume seem higher. Bass is still there but it sounds like it's revving more freely.

Excuse any typos...

7. MDEL

MDEL F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 24, 2016
    Southern Europe
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Hey Jason, You say you not an expert........ but your texts on exhaust sonority are absolutely amazing and, despite of your modesty, they show you have a very special sensitivity for the subject as well as a great knowledge. Please continuo delighting us..............