Paint off paint? | FerrariChat

Paint off paint?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by Themaven, Apr 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Hi sorry in advance for the stupid question. I just touched my garage doorframe while taking out my 430 today and there's a light cat-slash of white garage paint on the rear wheelarch. Not sure how deep but I don't think it's through to the metal. Car is grigio silverstone.
    On previous non-metallic non-Ferraris I'd get to work with T Cut or Autoglym paint renovator. Are those primitive solutions not suited to a metallic Ferrari? Anything better?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I would think any good polish would remove it. I assume the paint is a latex house paint should come off real easy. You definitely are not the only person to have done this...
    I have had good luck with the above method in the past.. IF that does not work then you might try a light polishing compound just be a little careful at that point.

3. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    If wall paint has deposited on the car, a simple detailed should take it right off! Use a microfiber cloth. Have done this before too!

SV

4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It's good to know I'm not the only one..I will try the detailer first, and then progressive steps beyond. Thank you.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Detailer's clay is great for removing overspray, or in this case garage embellishment.

6. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #6 msdesignltd, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. neilmac

neilmac Formula 3

Apr 18, 2005
    Oakville, Ont.
    Full Name:
    Neil
    I have used a cleaner wax (possibly Mother's, but I don't think it matters) for this problem in the past and it was successful. Surprising how little elbow grease was required.

8. Envious Eric

Envious Eric Karting

Sep 21, 2009
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    as stated, get a product like a cleaner wax, a light compound, polish and a microfiber towel, or a polishing pad and apply a small amount to the surface and work it until the damage area cleans up to your needs. If the paint is gouged underneath, take it to a detailer to have him properly compound and polish, possibly wetsand the area.

9. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    +1 for clay, it was originally used to remove overspray from car finishes.
    Alden