0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found | Page 18 | FerrariChat

0202 A – Bought on Ebay - Long Lost Even-Numbered Comp Ferrari Found

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Marcel Massini, Jul 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I suppose in violation of Fchat-rules. Not much use in referring to them.

My conclusion is that we can safely assume 0202A was a berlinetta when raced at Le Mans in 1952. I am curious to find out whether or not Tom Shaughnessy is going this way in restoring the car.

2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    #427 VisualHomage, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Although that auction is closed and the photos have been removed, I found 2 that were not and kept them for the forum. I don't know if this makes any difference now but I will provide them and the auction's description here for posterity:

"1959 Devin Roadster.

This a chance of a lifetime to own a super rare car that was the construction of a true genius, Bill Devin. Bill Devin was the sole individual who saw a market for small sleak cars that were affordable to almost all demographics. Devins were produced in the 50's and 60's. They were modelled after the popular Ferrari's of the day, such as the Ferris Buellers Day Off model. Mr. Devin, made these cars personally at his factory or sold kits for speed enthusiasts to build to their own specifications. I am not sure wether this particular car was one of the ones actually built by the man himself or was built by an enthusiast. I do however beleive this car was used for racing. It has a metal bumper which I'd imagine was used for bumping and drafting during a race. I bought this car near Columbia, SC and the man I bought it from had bought it in Sumter, SC. Both of the Carolina's have a rich racing history with tons of small and big tracks throughout. Sumter, SC has a speedway as well. The car is currently located in Batesburg, SC. I have tried to contact the speedway and am still trying to gather some history. I only wish this car could talk because man it looks fierce and awesome in person.

This car is sitting on a chassis but has no engine. It also only has half a transmission in the back of the car. I do not think the rims are bent, but the tires are flat and I would not recommend using. The front axle turns properly. Has the original gas tank, but is not attached. Comes with two headlights and there brackets. The original floor boards are pretty much rusted through. There are pedals on the left of the side of the car. I was going to take the body of the car off the existing chassis and place it on another. It was popular for people to build these on corvair, and vw chassis.

The fiberglass body is in good condition for its age. It has some thin spots but wouldn't take long to make stronger. The lines of the car look to be pretty much porportional. The back of the car is probably where it is the worst. Some of the fiberglass has busted off on the left side and there is no form to the taillights or exhaust that it probably had. There are what looks like two exhaust holes behind each front wheel well on both sides of the car. There is some sheet metal from the interior body. The interior of the car I believe was a red back in the day.

I think this car may be a Devin D roadster, but I could totally be wrong. I saw an interesting article about someone that bought what they thought was a Devin off ebay and it turned out to be a chassis and body to a Ferrari worth $28.5 million. This is the only devin for sale on ebay I may add.

Devins restored range in value from $15,000 to $150,000 which some of the SS models sell for.

Please message me with any questions you may have about the car, and I will try and answer them to the best of my knowledge.

I have no title to the car.

The car is being sold as is and the buyer is 100% responsible for pick up of the car. I will try and help in anyway.

Please be sure to check out all the pictures.

A $500 dollar deposit is due within 24hrs of the auctions end."
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. elmoore

elmoore Rookie

Dec 4, 2008
    Any status update on this amazing story?

4. detective

detective Karting

Dec 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Full Name:
    Brian J Ormerod
    I'm new to this thread but have been very interested in the debate about the original body on 0202A - spyder or berlinetta. I think I have read the whole thread carefully but haven't spotted any suggestions as to the chassis number of the berlinetta car at Le Mans IF it wasn't 0202A.
    Brian

5. Jurassik

Jurassik Karting

Apr 15, 2004
    Dnipro, Ukraine
    Full Name:
    Samoylik Yuriy
    https://www.autowp.ru/ferrari/340/96202/

Ferrari 340 Mexico Special (# 0202A) '1952 - wrote that the body has been installed on the car in 1955-1958. ??? Is it possible? If not, what kind of car?

6. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Any updates on the restoration efforts from the King of Toasted Ponies (or others)?

TIA,
    Dave

7. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Sold years ago.
    Now in Italy being re-whatever.

Marcel Massini

Rifledriver likes this.
  8. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Don't be fooled by this Devin body. Similar to the one on 0202A but holes & hinges on the back deck and the front side vent are not the same. Also seems to be left hand drive. tonga's crew

9. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    When you say in Italy, do you mean at the factory?

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Merci.

11. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No.
    Fortunately not.

Marcel Massini

tifosi12 likes this.
  12. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Suhail Khan likes this.
  13. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
  14. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    It's probably stating the obvious, but the lower height and more oval-shaped front grill on the original is vastly preferable to version on the new body. The grill is probably the most important feature to get right on this car because it's so prominent, so it's surprising it's this far off :(. Not sure if CarBuzz article is accurate, but it says the body was recreates at Classiche using using old photos and newspaper clippings:

The car ultimately ended up being restored by Ferrari Classiche where it was returned to its original glory. A period-correct 4.1-liter V12 and four-speed manual transmission were installed and the car's original appearance was recreated thanks to old photos and newspaper clippings. Experts believe it could now easily sell for over $6 million.

15. Aardy

Aardy F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2004
    France
    Full Name:
    Cyril TESTE
    The result is even worse on 0178ED...:confused:

readplays likes this.
  16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    He told me he had the original engine. He knew where it was for some time but took some doing to get it. He also told me it was as Spider, a sister car to one of Gil Nickels cars. We were friends of Gils and it was being arranged to borrow his and using a CAD/CAM 3D modeling camera make a 3D model of it to replicate the body. All went up in smoke when Tom got an offer he couldn't refuse.

readplays and ArtS like this.
  17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Aardy likes this.
  18. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Ah! That explains it, thanks!

19. curt66

curt66 Rookie

Feb 19, 2024
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Curtis Alan Patience
  20. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    has this car been rebuilt to factory specs?

21. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The amended specs. At Classiche that means whatever they are capable of building now is correct. Because they said so. Get some guy from Stalinist Russia to change all the old pictures. Putin probably has him stashed away in some closet in the Kremlin.

Bryanp, wbaeumer and Edward 96GTS like this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Aardy and peterp like this.
  23. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    One of those weird psychological events where I was musing about this chassis in bed last night for some random reason, wondering what became of it. I visited Tom in his shop looking at a 330GTC he was selling ($175K I recall), must've been '09 or so. He showed me the chassis perched up high on some industrial shelving and outlined his plans for it. Now that he's migrated to the wilds of NH flying taildraggers, I was curious, now I know! Thanks

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Tom flying airplanes. Thats a scary thought.

readplays likes this.