Photos Taken While Flying | Page 29 | FerrariChat

Photos Taken While Flying

Discussion in 'Aviation Chat' started by juliei, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

"Anywhere in the World!"

2. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    #702 redhead, Apr 24, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Great shot! Thanks.

Are you military? I didn't think "anyone" was allowed that close to the Pentagon these days?

Either that or you're using a *really* long lens! ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

4. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I've flown that close to it doesn't seem off to me. Suh a funny airport with the approach and departure moves.

5. PureEuroM3

PureEuroM3 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 31, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    That is a good pic!

6. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Hey Ian-
    No, not Mil.
    When leaving DCA, you fly right by the Pentagon. On arrival, if it is the River Approach, you fly even lower, closer, but normally I am on the other side of the plane getting monument/capitol pics.

And that photo was iPhone6 with some light touchups to show the inner layers of the Pentagon.

Here is a river approach video, though you can see the Pentagon, if you're not sure where you're looking its tough to see. Around 2.15, there is a body of water off to the right of the Potomac, the Pentagon is just to the right.

htts://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfM7TQf6dtA

Cheers-
    Rich

7. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    OK, thanks for the info.

Given the (somewhat understandable) "paranoia level" around such places, I was just a little surprised. But I guess moving an airport (or the Pentagon!) isn't trivial! ;)

Cool vid too, once I corrected the link; [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfM7TQf6dtA[/ame]

Cheers,
    Ian

8. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Congratulations!

9. ersatzS2

ersatzS2 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 24, 2009
    Norfolk VA
    #709 ersatzS2, Apr 29, 2016
  10. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    The old Washington airport covered the space where the Pentagon is now in the photo. To the right one can spot the Lee-Custis mansion up on the hill west of the pentagon. After the Civil War the government turned the mansion's grounds into a cemetery for Union troops. Still visible. To the left , south, there was a coal tipple where coal cars were emptied into the yards of the Griffon Coal Co. for the heating furnaces of homes in the city. It was 50 feet tall and located at the end of the runway. I remember that an airplane hit it one wintery day. The road that went to the Lee mansion cut across the airport"runway" and had a stop light when an airplane was taking off. Of course, there were no big buildings there then, just swamp and saw grass.

11. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #711 LouB747, May 1, 2016
  12. zygomatic

zygomatic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 19, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Chris
    A few photos (including a shot of the stoplight) and some info here:

Abandoned & Little-Known Airfields: Virginia: Arlington County

13. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
  14. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #714 LouB747, May 1, 2016
  15. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    #715 acw, May 1, 2016
  16. Maciej

Maciej Karting

Nov 8, 2008
    NNJ
    Full Name:
    Maciej
    Absolutely love the 330LX, it's amazing what that additional 30hp achieves.

17. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Great pics! The closeness together of the paired runways at SFO definitely allows for some unique photo opportunities.

18. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    I remembered that the new Washington Airport on the Potomac was opened in 1940 . My dad was was commissioned to do a low level aerial perspective of it and he had to consult with me about what kind of airplanes would be sitting on the ramp. So, in some indirect way, I had a small 14 year old hand in it when I sketched a DC-3, a Lockheed Model 10, and a Boeing 247. That airport is now Reagan National.

19. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    In 1945 when I was stationed at Langley Field I went to the new airport to watch airplanes and I had the chance to watch the paint removal from an o.d. painted C-54 that was positioned south of the terminal. A paint remover had applied and they backed a fire truck up to the airplane and hosed the O.D. paint off the airplane in huge blankets. I have no idea what they used but it was bizarre to see the blankets of paint flying off the airplane. On one visit I was able to see a War Bond drive episode of a flight of WW2 fighters, a Spitfire, ME-109, P-40, FW-190, and a Mosquito. The FW-190 and Mosquito were down with mechanical problems but it was nice to see those who could attend. It was astonishing to see how small the ME-109 was compared to a P-40. The Spitfire landed and immediately had a flat tire. Five or six ground crew went out to the airplane and got under the wing , lifted it up with their backs and walked the airplane in to the ramp with the engine running as if it was normally taxiing.

20. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Bob, stories like this are why you need to write another book! Maybe you ought to emulate Mr. Gann and call it "Bob Parks' Flying Circus"!

21. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    #721 Bob Parks, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    Jim, I'm humbled that you think my little stories are comparable to what Gann did and wrote about. First,he was a gifted writer. First, he had flown and sailed all over the earth and had done many things that I could never achieve. First, he started out rich and ended up rich. And last of all , he was a helluva lot smarter than I am. Yeah, I know that I have too many "firsts" mentioned here but Ernie was all ways first in his scheme of things and I don't criticize that. After all he helped me to get a start on aviation art. At that time in 1970 aviation art wasn't looked upon as real art and I was lucky to get 300.00 for a painting that took two to three weeks to complete. At the time, I was teaching my self how to paint the most difficult of all subjects, airplanes, and in the most difficult medium, gouache. I was working in an old garage that I turned into a "studio". It was uninsulated and in the hot summers powder-post beetles kept dropping down from the ceiling and I was perspiring on the work sometimes. So, I painted at night from 2000 until 0300-0400. In the winter, I worked during the day with a hot chunk stove near by. All of that happened on San Juan Island, Friday Harbor Washington between 1972 and 1976. We returned to the mainland when my young wife had a stroke and after a year, I was able to get back to Boeing and we gradually got back on our feet. After another year I was able to get into engineering PD where I spent the next 24 years in the best job I ever had. Now, I have contracted Blabber-of-The -Mouth disease and there is no hope for me.

22. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #722 LouB747, May 3, 2016
    A little landing practice today. 1 good, 1 OK, 1 so so. I should have only done 1.

Lots of slip to see the runway. Head and eyes level with the hozizon.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Slips and stuff is fun flying! Love those beautiful photos that you have posted.

24. LouB747

LouB747 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2009
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Lou Boyer
    #724 LouB747, May 3, 2016
  25. Bob Parks

Bob Parks F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2003
    Shoreline,Washington
    Full Name:
    Robert Parks
    Good ol' tail dragger, wrong design to run straight. You should try a Stearman in a crosswind.