Unofficial 308 tool kit specifications | Page 18 | FerrariChat

Unofficial 308 tool kit specifications

Discussion in '308/328' started by piezo, Nov 21, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
  2. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    #427 godabitibi, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi everybody, since the beginning of this thread I've been trying to collect tools to make my car complete. Here is the tool kit I collected. I know the screwdrivers are probably not correct but are close enough for me. I also bought a book pouch. My owner manual is still in the car.

I also have the complete jack set.

Thanks for the help of every one. Enjoy!

P.s. still missing the 9-10 wrench and carb tool.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Not bad at all. It takes a while if you are missing a particular piece. BTW, you're missing the 10/11 wrench I believe.

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Yes, my mistake. BTW I have a spare 16/17 to trade if someone can help.

5. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
  6. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    imm subscribed to get the updates
    thanks to all for the information

7. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    #432 topcarbon, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    #433 piezo, Apr 11, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

First kit looks like a TR kit without the 14/14mm combination wrench, no spark plug wrench, and extra ratchet and jack extension rod which belong to the later type black coloured jack kit.

Second kit looks close but it seems to me the spark plug wrench is the 328 one instead of the 308 type which should have a 21mm inner crown measurement, one mismatched screwdriver and a missing wrench. You should have 8 wrenches 6/7, 8/9 (missing?), 10/11, 12/13, 14/14, 16/17, 18/19 and 20/22.

EDIT: On a second look, the first kit should have a Polytools or Utema 14/14mm combination wrench different from the other Ferrari wrenches so not a TR kit but 308/328/mondial kit. But other comments still valid.

The kits look familiar and probably currently for sale in the ad section :)

9. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

BTW Jason, if you are looking for the correct tool kit for your new 79, neither of these two kits are of the correct period, not by far... The correct tool kit with Everest wrenches, Tommy bar spark plug wrench, orange translucent screwdrivers demands top dollars... Don't forget the carb tool and older type pliers as well.

10. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

I bought the window crank. Received it today. Had set up an eBay alert a few weeks ago. Didn't see your link until now, lol. Thanks again for the informative thread and pictures. Great help!

Mark

11. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

I think the price is very reasonable as well consider how rare this type of window crank alone pops up for sale, almost never. Nice buy!

12. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    thank you
    I don't need to spend $800 on a tool kit that is not correct knowing I will spend more for the right one later.
    I need one for the '79 and the '77

13. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Perhaps it's easier for people to see the complete sets according to years, I'm going to show the kits here in one thread all together. Well not all variations but close hopefully.

1974-1981: The earliest type with Everest wrench, note that the pliers can be the orange sheathed type which appeared roughly late 70s.

1979-1982: The Polytools wrench kit with the carb tool, note that some kits might still have the old all metal type pliers.

1981-1983: The Polytools wrench kit without the carb tool, note that only the orange sheathed pliers were found in these kits and the V12.000 translucent handle type screwdrivers are mostly found in this period.

1984: The Ferrari wrench with circled sizes kit, note that usually the 14/14 combination wrench is a Utema N.1200 and the pliers are the peculiar shaped blue moulded handle type that I first considered incorrect. The window crank are typically of T shape for this kit.

1983-1985: The Kravm/Ferrari wrench kit, note that the moulded handle pliers can have Kravm or just Ferrari, the screwdrivers can be the brown type with Ferrari inscription in 1985 kits and the window crank can be both T or Z types.

1985: The Ferrari wrench with parallelograms kit, note that all wrenches are of the same type even the 14/14 and the window crank is typically the T type.

Don't forget the Utema wrench sets, they are usually of N.1000 instead of the N.1200 that is mixed with the 1984 blue handle pliers kits. Utema wrenches appeared as early as 1982 towards the end of Polytools era either in sets or individual wrenches in a set.

Allowance shall be considered for the above stated year differences.

gdl203 likes this.
  14. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Presentating these this way is a very good idea, Steven.

Rgds

15. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    Piezo you are awesome

16. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark

+ 308. Thanks Steven!

17. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Thx guys, the idea just popped up in my mind and I thought it might be a good reference while reading just the description of individual items can be misleading in a way.

It should still refer to old posts on the details :)

18. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

That's difficult... Check your PM.

19. ultgar

ultgar Karting

Nov 21, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Steve D'Gerolamo
    The old orange handle screwdrivers look like the Facom Isoryl series which are still available today. Product on these goes back to the 80's (maybe earlier). Facom owned USAG at the time (still part of the Facom group). See IAR - web-catalogue

SD

20. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    I have a 1985 308 GTSi QV. Car was built in July 1984 and is USA Spec. What type of Pliers should I have? Seems it is missing from the toolkit. Also, I have 3 of the 4 Screwdrivers, but the blades have a lot of corrision on them. Handles look great and you cant see the rust when they are stowed in the toolkit. I would like a good set of 4. Will the screwdrivers referred to in Post #444 from IAR work? And which model screwdriver should I try to get?

21. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I've been looking for the Spark Plug wrench for a QV and they don't come up for sale individually very often. This partial set has it, however, I just don't need the screw drivers, pliers, or bulb kit. https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/262389004712

If there are others here who did need those other items, possibly buy as a "group" and split it up?

22. 2281GT

2281GT Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2006
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Greg, the partial set, you linked has only the plug tool and the pliers to use. The rest is not looking original. For that two parts it is a little bit expensive.

I could offer you a QV spark plug tool , not mint condition, but useable and original. If interested PM me.

EDIT: The pliers - for me - doesn't look original too and the spark plug wrench looks to be for a carbed car , not a QV.

Steven ? Bruno ? ... any suggestions ?

23. robo330

robo330 Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Michigan USA
    Full Name:
    Karl Robertson
    Any idea what set of Pliers should I have with a '85 308QV? Red handle with White or Black Ferrari lettering? Or a Blue handle, my car was built in July 1984. Thanks guy's!

24. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

Judging from the shape and sizes, I don't think these resembles the original ones. I'm out of town now so I can't give you the measurement of the handles at the moment. Give me two weeks.

25. piezo

piezo Formula 3

May 27, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Steven

It's relatively easy to get the correct screwdriver(s) for your kit be it the one with Ferrari script or not.

The pliers should be the anodized black headed ones with moulded red handles and either white or black letter Ferrari on one side and Kravm on the other side. It can be the same type but with white Ferrari lettering on both sides. Those with silver head is from later era.

Oh you might want to post pictures of your tools so we can tell better which pliers goes with your wrenches and screwdrivers cuz there are typically three different combinations for later QV.