Old Tag Parts? | FerrariChat

Old Tag Parts?

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by gil308, Apr 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    My uncle has a Tag Heuer 1000 that I gave him years ago. I bought it in 1986 I believe. Anyway, somehow, he lost the bezel and spring...I can't find replacement parts anywhere. I found aftermarket bezel inserts, but cannot find the bezel and spring. I've read that Tag doesn't make parts for this anymore. I thought about buying him a "new" 1000, but they're almost as much as I paid for it in 1986...any suggestions on where to source something like this? I could send to Tag, but I'm sure IF they could replace the parts, it would be pricey. I'd be happy with aftermarket parts, as long as they fit and work properly...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I needed a new link for my TAG, and had to get it on EBay because TAG couldn't deliver.

3. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I had that exact watch in that era - mine was purchased around 1990, but was new old stock. Loved it - it was my very first "nice" watch, and I was tremendously proud of the acquisition.

My bezel flew off around 1999 (didn't know that was possible) and was lost. I went to an official Tag dealer to try to get it replaced...they sent the watch to Tag Heuer headquarters, who returned the unrepaired watch with a letter of apology and an offer of 50% off any new Tag.

So, sorry to say, I suspect the chances of repairing that watch now, 17 years later, are even worse.

4. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    Have you tried Otto Frei in Oakland? From what I understand, their main business is tooling, but I have bought NOS ETA parts from them in the past.

5. FiveLiterEater96

FiveLiterEater96 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2005
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Obviously not the answer you were hoping for but thats not a bad deal!

6. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Exactly. It gave me great respect for how the company addressed issues. Considering the watch was long out of warranty, it was really a great deal. I used the credit to get a Carrera throwback (1960's design homage) for half price.

7. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I contacted and spoke with Tag. They said they DO have the parts...in Switzerland. So, I would need to pay $75 for shipping to NJ, who then send it to Switzerland. Once Tag Switzerland gets the watch, they will give me an estimate for repairs. If I accept the price, the $75 goes toward the total price. If I refuse, I just pay the $75 and get the watch back. If I repair, it's a minimum of 3 months...

So, it's good to know parts are once again available...BUT, I assume it's going to be very pricey. The watch was $800 new. I can get them used on eBay for up to $700. I have no idea what the cost would be to replace the bezel and spring, but not sure it's worth the cost...it's a very sentimental piece for my uncle, so I'm torn.

My thought is that if Tag has the parts again for this watch, which for a long time were not available, can't someone in Switzerland get a hold of the parts...other than me going through Tag?

Thanks for all the comments. Keep 'em coming :)

8. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    I'll research them. Thank you!

9. gil308

gil308 Formula 3

Jun 22, 2004
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Gil
    Thank you...it was my first "nice" watch too. But when I received a "nicer" one from my dad, I gave the Tag to my uncle. It's a sentimental piece for him, so he'd rather wear it without the bezel, as he does now, then getting a new one...or even a used identical one in better condition.