Holy Smokes 430 door cost 40K | FerrariChat

Holy Smokes 430 door cost 40K

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360Tom, May 5, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
  2. ideloera

ideloera Formula Junior

Jun 2, 2015
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Isi
    wow, that's steep. You can probably buy a used door shell from exotic auto recycling for about 3-5k and have it painted.

3. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That's Canadian dollars. It's only $31,000 here in the US. :)

4. slayerofsouls

slayerofsouls Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    So that's my story, there were some negative comments so I just want to clarify.

First step was to use an Exotic Recycle Center, I waited 3 months and there were no good options available. A few did come in, but they just weren't good fits, even the insurance company agreed to not use it. Then we decided to order the door from Ferrari. They were very slow to respond, but 3 months later the door came in.

So yes, in the end of the day, its a pretty big claim and chances are I will be switching cars soon. However, I still wanted to give it the best possible repair rather than something mediocre.

5. 360Tom

360Tom Formula 3

May 9, 2013
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's what insurance is for. Better to do it right, especially if you plan on switching out. Hopefully it's still an F Car.

6. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Guys I clearly don't understand... in France you get the "nude" door for less than $5,000

7. mwstewart

mwstewart F1 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    England
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I assume a replacement car was provided for the duration of the wait from Ferrari, which increased the overall bill?

Eursopares supply new OEM doors for $3,756.62.

8. ArmenVanquishS

ArmenVanquishS Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2014
    Paris, France
    Now that's a fair price ! :)

Even with the door panel + paint + adjustments, it shouldn't exceed $8000 IMO.

9. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    Is it the door + paint + labour to install, switch interior bits etc... That added up to $40k?

10. 360+Volt=Prius

360+Volt=Prius Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2013
    Western Mass
    Full Name:
    Raimondo
  11. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    My compliments on the video. You took a potentially embarrassing situation and gave a fun and informative take on your experiences. Good on you for putting yourself out there like that and thanks for clarifying the law regarding having your door open.

I agree with many out there that this repair could have been done for a LOT less but in Ontario the repair rules for the insurance companies is pretty strict so this was a totally by the book repair which massively increases the prices. Mr. John is an excellent body shop and I have used them many times. Also you don't just repair the door. The front fender and rear quarter needs to be blended in to get a seamless repair and there are a lot of lost hours just fitting the parts that never fit well from Ferrari.

Yes $40K is VERY expensive but when you itemize it piece by piece boought from Ferrari, and factor in the labor, the bill racks up quite quickly.

12. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    My stupid company car K900 V8 got into an 4 car accident. It was still drivable but put it in a body shop thinking all i need are replacement of airbag, front hood and bumper.
    It is a KIA... It ended up being in the bodyshop due to parts availability and the estimation came out $38K alone... It has been 40+ days and I still do not have the car.
    It had less than 2,000 miles so the insurance company did not totaled the car which doesn't make sense and I am pissed... However, looking at fixing a Ferrari would be like restoration of museum art... I love my Ferrari and hope I get my classic Mondial T Cabrio for extension of Ferrari family in my garage soon. It is targeted for my wife's mother's day present but I know that in few weeks or months, it will come back to me. Haha...

We have to be careful when parking our Ferraris in public. I always park far away from all the cars so that I will not be surprised with little dings.. It is only few more steps of walk and we worry less while we are shopping or doing something outside of the car.

13. slayerofsouls

slayerofsouls Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2014
    Somewhere
    Thank you, you captured this very well.

In my mind, a claim is a claim, and I rather do what it takes to restore it as best as possible. Does it really matter if it cost my insurance company 5k or 50k? My insurance is going up regardless, and resale value will be impacted for sure by the claim amount. BUT the job was done by the book and with receipts to prove the level of effort and complexities involved.

I could have lived with the temporary fix, which 99% of people here would not notice. In fact, I probably would prefer to pocket the 40k, and just have done the temporary fix (but obviously not a legal option).

So yes, doing it buy the book was the preferred option to go. I did not want to wait endlessly for a good recycled door to come. We tried, we waited, and got nothing good. So, should I have kept waiting another 6 months hoping for a cheaper door so my insurance company could save money, and lower the claim amount?

ummm No.

Obviously if you compare the price of the door to the value of the car, it is ridiculous. But parts dont depreciate like cars do. Just as repair cost does not depreciate as the car value goes down.

The intent, was to capture my experience, and my lesson. If you would have gone a different route, thats totally your call. But given the circumstances, and what was available at the time. I DECIDED to go down the most costly route with the highest standard.