Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread | Page 74 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Jan 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gbutler

gbutler Formula Junior

Jun 9, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Glenn Butler
    Any thoughts as to what a EURO GTB QV would bring here in the states? Say one that is well sorted mechanically with recent major service but mileage on the higher side (100k kilometers) and no books / tools? -- I am thinking about purchasing one that I have located and wanted to get everyone's consensus. From what I have seen this is a very hard car to find here in the states and next to a dry sump GTB should be the car to have (not counting Vetrossina's of course!)

2. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  3. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff

Thanks Hannibal!

4. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
  5. topcarbon

topcarbon F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2006
    funny, I own that car and saw the shields(mine does not have them) and said looks like mine but has shields.

6. metricmotors

metricmotors Rookie

Mar 3, 2015
    Hopewell Jct NY
    Full Name:
    Greg Iorizzo
    Hi, I have a 1983 Ferrari 308 GTB QV. I am looking for new wheels and thinking about 17'. I want something that looks new and clean but looks time period fitting. What wheels look nice and clean? Also, what would it take to fit 17' wheels and what tire size should be used.

7. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Post a new thread and search the DIY. This is really not the thread for that question.

8. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Hagerty appears to have updated their market evaluation tool.

9. Kidasters

Kidasters Formula Junior

Oct 4, 2013
    Houston, Tx
    Full Name:
    Ken
    In my opinion it is still 20% low.

10. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    84' GTB QV Did not sell... Top bid of $67,500. It was "restored" but no mention of milage and a couple little things not restored to stock. No diaper either, and no mention of the tools/Jack. What is the premium on a coupe versus a targa? The price would be 74,250 with the 10% buyers premium, which doesn't seem bad for the description. Is this a car I have seen for sale somewhere else recently ?

https://www.mecum.com/lot-detail/HA0416-246949/0/1984-Ferrari-308-GTB/5-Speed/

11. jdamon

jdamon Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2015
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I feel like Mecum does not attract Ferrari buyers like the other auctions. Their last auction had a couple no sales as well if I remember correctly.

12. ztarum

ztarum Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    South Jersey, USA
    Lots of little things are are not correct on that car, which perhaps scared off some interest. This is indeed a strange market. It seems like little details that could easily (and relatively cheaply) be corrected have a large impact on sale price, or no sale at all in this case.

13. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    No side markers and wrong pedals but not much else. It does seem it would be easy to fix those few things

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
  15. jessup

jessup Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2014
    Santa Clara CA USA
    Full Name:
    Jessup
    That was my friends that he sold at Monterey last year. Went for $225k

16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Right. The all in was $247k at Gooding Monterey '15.

17. PBE624

PBE624 Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2005
    De Panne Belgium
    Full Name:
    Frank
    #1843 PBE624, Apr 20, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
    I was having some thoughts about the 308/328 market as I saw this sale offer on autoscoot:

Ferrari 308 GTS QV Oldtimer, Benzine, ? 126.000,- occasion in Chantilly

The car mentioned here used to be mine so if anybody wants to know more about its history, just send me a pm.

This car was sold by me about 2 years ago at about 1/3 of the current asking price... .

Now, I am not going to wine about woulda , shoulda, lost opportunity etc... , but talk a bit about my buying and selling experience in the 308/328 market over the last 10 years.

When I bought my first Ferrari (328 GTS in the obvious red/tan combination) about 10 years ago, I paid around 45.000 EUR for what was a good car with history details and no stories.

At the time, I had been reading up about the 308/328 models (which I was mostly interested in) in the well known publications of M Sheehan and others.

Also then, the 'logical' step into the Ferrari world for the average enthousiast was to start with a 308/328 (simple mechanics, relatively easy and affordable maintenance), and once bitten by the red bug, to move on to more power and comfort through a 355 (if you could afford the maintenance), into 360 and 430 as the ultimate driving machine (sidestepping the visually less attractive 348).

Pricewise, this would mean going from a 35K-50K car (308/328) up the ladder to 355 (55K), 360 (65K) and 430 (85K).(price indications before the last 2 years)

I never made it up that ladder, mostly because I did not want to , as I prefered the looks and feel of the 308 so ended up buying and selling 3 308QVs over the past years (last one sold about a year ago, just as the frenzy started, and this was the only one where I managed to break even...).

No I see in Europe alone on one website (autoscoot) about 170 308 models for sale and 110 328 models in all colors and states of maintenance, but about 80% are priced above what I sold my cars for... . And every car I sold had full history, belts done, perfect condition and tools and books... .
    The current value pyramid seems to be 360/308/328/430/355...

This makes me wonder where the market is going, as also spares and tools/ luggage sets are now going the same way.

Is this really the correct current market value or are we looking at a correction (soon)? I know this has been discussed for years now, but as it stands now, I am out, even though the bug is raising its head again... .

Maybe in a few months/ years, things will quiet down again, and maybe then, if it is still itching, I will buy myself again a nice 308QV to enjoy rather than speculate.

In the meantime, I will keep an eye out :)

Cheers,
    Frank

18. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    Well, we could encounter a small(er) setback, which is often the case after a steep increase of prices. The market seems to stall a bit for now. But no matter how you look at it, 308/328's are entering the vintage stage, with the price levels that correspond with it. Of course there are downsides to this, when you want to use the car for what it is meant to.. Parts, insurance.. I bought my car in 1995, had it repainted last year, really intend to put some miles on it this summer but the relaxed thought of "let's take the car out for a spirited drive" has somehow vanished a bit..

If you really want to buy back a 308 for enjoying it as a driving machine I think you should buy a nice one on the first serious "dip" in the market. I'm not a professional by any means, but I am convinced that the "50K 308 market" is history..

19. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    I have been following both autoscout and mobile.de for 7-8 years and what is currently happening is that 95% of the 308s are sold by dealers that during last two years start to throw out cars in total off-track prices and let them stay there until the market has picked up to that value.
    The problem is that the prices have flattened out last year leading to that on mobile.de, the number of cars offered has gone from around 40 to 140, they don't move.
    Looking at the prices of the few cars that actually sell, most cars on these European Web sites are overpriced with around €20-30k. After a while new sellers take these prices as some reference price and adds new cars to the list.
    As an example, here in Sweden an average 2V was offered both here and mobile.de.This seller actually needed to sell the car. It was for sale for a year for €74k and lowered to €65k before finally selling.
    A QV does not sell for €100k in Europe unless being a Hagerty 1 car.
    UK market seems to be a bit higher though, with limited number if right hand cars.

Current situation seems to be thar regardless of a $, £ or € sign in front, the amount seems to be roughly the same for a specific 308 version/conditions :)

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk

20. 308 GTB QV

308 GTB QV Karting

Jan 19, 2010
    ...correction, €84k to €65k

Skickat från min D5803 via Tapatalk

21. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    Looking for a 308 GTB, 76-79, or 308QV (prefer euro B) for a restoration project. Needs to be relatively lower mileage 40k or below (to justify post resto costs)

Please email me if you know of a good car with a reasonable price.

22. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    #1848 davidedegiorgi, May 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi guys,
    we recently got an interesting 308 GTS with a strange reaction on the paint. It's an ex California car and it has a nice and consistent crackling effect on all the panels. It only shows up close as the overcoat keeps the reflection flat.

There's a sticker that proudly states "protected with Polyglycoat".
    I presume the car has been left in the sun and the "protective" layer created this effect.
    The car looks incredible with this sort of ceramic/crocodile effect but I really don't think it was intended to react this way.

Have any of you guys seen this before?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    "we recently got" meaning a car for trade/sale ?

Then I hope you find someone who likes this strange effect (which I never-ever saw before..). I'm afraid that "polyglycoat" pretty much ruined the paintwork..

24. buzzpics

buzzpics Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2013
    Frisco Tx
    I have a friend with a 1996 Special Edition Corvette that has a similar issue. Not sure that there's polyglycoat on there, but it almost appears as though you can see fiberglass strands on the hood (and hood only).