1971 London Motor Show - 365 GTC/4 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1971 London Motor Show - 365 GTC/4

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by gudz, Nov 27, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    I've just found images of 14555 on the web, it looks so similar that I don't think we're going to know either way, unless the chassis no.s were noted by Maranello or Pininfarina.

14555:
    365 GTC/4 14555

14561:
    Ferrari 365 GTC/4 Registry Viewer

2. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The car we have the rear three-quarter photo of (thanks to Ted) is the 365 GTC/4 on the Maranello Concessionaires stand. The Pininfarina stand is clearly in the background, with the thoroughfare between the two evident (where a couple are standing to admire the car). If further proof were needed, Neill's photoshoot for MC shows the car on carpet - not parquet.

Comparing the two photos, it's also clear that the car we have the front three-quarter view of (from MOTOR) is the lighter of the two. The white tones in Ted's photograph are whacked right up, and the car still appears very grey. If that car was Celeste Gainsborough, it would appear much lighter.

The original caption of Ted's rear three-quarter photo, stating s/n 14555, is CORRECT.

The information about s/n 14555 being on the Pininfarina stand is INCORRECT (a very easy mistake to make, since the only branding visible shows 'Pininfarina').

Therefore, s/n 14561 was on the Pininfarina stand at the 1971 London Motor Show, and was pictured in MOTOR, 30 Oct 1971.

-Ed

3. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for the information, Marcel - useful for future reference.

-Ed

4. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Marcel, is there a web page anywhere showing the different tartan patterns? I have reference photos for a few, but not all.

I'm guessing you may have enough images in your archive showing all of them, but I wondered if they are published anywhere.

-Ed

5. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #55 PAUL BABER, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    Hi John...... Neil Bruce remained Maranello Concessionaires favoured photographer well into the 1990's....... All press and publicity photos were shot by him. I remember the 'Demo park'...we would have the full fleet of both press and normal demo cars in attendance with yours truly usually acting as the parking warden.......sadly there was no 'Covered' car park in my day.

6. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #56 PAUL BABER, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    A small but maybe relevant point......Maranello Concessionaires did not build their motorshow stands. They were built by Ferrari and moved between international shows adapting to floor space as allocated. Up until the late 1960's...... unsure of exact date....there would be a wood paquet floor with various pot plants....later from the 1970's the flooring was carpeted ....latterly in Red with a Black prancing horse motif....All furniture and stand advertising was also supplied by Ferrari..... Later date I know but see attached overhead shot of the 1982 stand at the Birmingham arena.......
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. BBBBBBB

BBBBBBB Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2015
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Paul,
    beautiful picture, congrats !
    Ben

8. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Thank you.....I remember that show well. Unfortunately we were sited directly beneath Burger King and subjected to a constant barrage of half eaten ketchup smothered missiles. I also remember on one weekend I was alone on the stand with Shaun Bealey who received a direct hit in his Gin &Tonic as he was sitting on the sofa.....I cant recall his exact words but I know he decided that was the end of his motorshow duties for 1982........

9. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That's a great photo Paul, saved to my collection of Motor Show images.

10. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #60 Marcel Massini, Dec 4, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
    At the Torino Motor Show 1970, they didn't have wood or carpets on the floor, they had those legendary squarish yellow ceramic tiles with the black Prancing Horse (fabricated by Ceramica PM). See also color photo in the 1968/69/70 Ferrari Yearbook. The same yellow tiles were used by Pierre Bardinon for his collection at Mas du Clos, France.
    Perhaps we should begin a separate thread "Ferraris at Motor Shows" or similar? Or is there such a thread already?

Marcel Massini

11. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    Excellent idea......I know I have personal photos of the Maranello Concesionaires UK stands from the mid 1970's-mid 1980's and my own at Earls Court London shows from the 1990's.....I will start to digitalise this weekend as most are in albums.

12. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Great photo Paul, and not a red car in sight !

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  14. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    #64 gudz, Feb 16, 2016
    Hi Marcel,

Sorry for the delay getting this for you, fortunately the information I received from Tony Willis "Numero Interno 23" matches the block in the car :)

regards,
    Steve

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Thank you Steve.

Marcel Massini

16. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    #66 gudz, May 11, 2016
    Hi All, dragging up an old thread I'm afraid, but 14561's paint job has finally been completed. With over 400 hours spent at the shop, this was a back-burner job for them and has taken nearly 9 months, but in fairness to the guys, I did say at the beginning that I wasn't in any hurry.

Anyway, I'm really chuffed with the result. The shut lines are great, the colour appears to be an exact match, the black detailing is spot on and I think they've been really sympathetic in the restoration.

Anyway, thought these pics may be of interest to some of you.

I'd love to repaint the black of the reg plate, the lettering is riveted in place and I love the patina, so don't want to replace it. Just this and the anodised grill to look at. Oh and the interior, but that's going to have to wait for my bank balance to recover ;-)

cheers,
    Stephen

17. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    Stephen, she looks splendid.

PM sent.

John

18. detective

detective Karting

Dec 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Full Name:
    Brian J Ormerod
    Has any one spotted the hand written note "Sold to Sytner" on the bottom of the Ferrari Invoice and the hand written name Sytner at the top of the S.P.Bealey invoice. Frank Sytner is a well know car dealer in Nottingham who has also been involved in motor sport. Could he be involved in the chain of ownership?

19. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Stephen thanks for sharing 14561 here and now with fresh Celeste Gainsborough paint to! Perfect color to show off that timeless Pininfarina design. Lots of interesting details about your GTC/4 and others to that you have garnered here.

20. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    In a word: perfection.
    Perfect color choice.

21. 365GTC/4

365GTC/4 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    John
    Love the colour. Looks fabulous. Suits the lines if the car very well. Congratulations.

22. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Thanks, I'm pretty amazed too. When I bought the car in 2011, I got a pretty good bundle of documents dating back to around 1979, I thought this pretty good for a 40yo car and it just seemed like a nice honest classic that had been deglected for many years and needed some TLC.

To subsequently find out the car was one of the first RHD produced, displayed at the London Motor Show, and used as the Maranello Concessionaires press car is bonkers. I really would'nt have imagined such an interesting start to its life. I still think there could be more to find out with the Sytner connection. There's a period BRDC sticker on the old windscreen (I put a new screen on while the windows were out due to a crack), but this makes the Frank Sytner connection even more curious. (maybe I should try and move the sticker over) :)

I've emailed Graypaul, and also a contact at Sytner (Maranello Egham), to see if anything else can be found out. It's a long shot, purely because how long ago it was, and apparently Frank is now enjoying his retirement in Monaco.

The biggest issue I have is not being able to put my hands on any of the owner registration details pre 1976, the DLVA simply don't have any information prior to this. Apparently cars were registered with local councils pre 1974 and although I think it was first registered with London Council in 1971 under '1GTC' I have no idea, who if anyone may hold these old records.

Thanks for everyones continued assistance. I've been blown away by the amount of knowledge on this forum, couldn't have asked for more.

23. gudz

gudz Karting

Nov 23, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Goodhand
    Thanks guys.

24. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Beautiful. Congratulations

25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Stephen perhaps your story about 14561 will encourage others to dig into the history of their cars to. Hopefully you will share again any further notes on the history of the GTC/4 in the future!
    1GTC is certainly a great plate out there somewhere!!!