#01438 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Discussion in '206/246' started by omgjon, Mar 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    All the modifications were completed in 1999 by Bobileff Motorcar Company in San Diego. Between the owner at the time, and myself, we tried to blend in the best from various models, as Ferrari typically does. The stark alloy interior panels was strictly the owner's choice. I respectfully complied after he waved a check under my nose ! It was a REALLY fun project, even so I am a purist at heart, I still really love the cleaned up look of the car, including the lack of exterior door locks! The mechanicals were 100% stock, and untouched, just detailed, with the motor and transmission being finally rebuilt several months ago.
    Gary Bobileff

2. AFMBR

AFMBR Karting

Jul 14, 2014
    Canada, eh
    I realize it's not my car, and anybody can do as they please with their possessions, but in my opinion the previous owner did not enhance the car, but rather made it look like a kit car, and if I owned a real Dino I would not want people assuming it was actually a fiero. I much prefer the stock look.

3. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

4. Telaio

Telaio Karting

Jan 11, 2006
    UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin O'Rourke
    Hi Omjon, from the photos and to my eye, the coachwork conversion looks to have been done to a very high standard and all the body-lines run in a harmonious fashion, someone very clever did this work and I like it very much, as stated it can all go back to standard so no crime has been committed, I imagine it would be very hot inside due to the lack of insulation around the center chassis tube, a great car for a local blast but the noise would be very tiring on a long trip ......... great looking car fashioned in the right style !!! cheers all, Kev.ps, if you are looking for seats check out my Son Robert O'Rourke at Welcome. Please visit our shop, above left. - O'Rourke CoachTrimmers he makes seat frames, seat runners and mouldings for Ferraris.

5. jjeffries

jjeffries Formula Junior

Sep 4, 2012
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    John Jeffries
    Good to see Kevin chime in on this one. Mototechnique is a great shop, as is Bobileff's...both complete "soup to nuts" guys who can do it all, properly and with no drama, just separated by 6,000 miles. Which is to take absolutely nothing away from OMGJon, who goes more for the "network of skilled local sub-contractors" approach but doing all the teardoen, small component rehab and skilled final assembly and fettling himself. Horses for courses, all excellent and thoroughly admirable. Sarge may win the prize for "Best Shop Dog", however. John in CT.

6. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    The car is bought at Bobileff and the engine was restored by him as well and now the interior and exterior is being restored by OMGJON. I think I have the best marriage of both worlds...

7. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #33 omgjon, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So after finishing the interior the owner decided to do the body back to original and go back to the original color. I moved my lift from my old shop Saturday, so today was goinh backwards to strip the entire car. In a few days it should be on the rotisserie and off for media blasting then some extensive metal work to bring it back to original. It is going Rosso Dino.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. rbsloan11

rbsloan11 Karting

Apr 25, 2007
    Carmel
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Hats off to the owner for bringing it back to it's original configuration, and lucky for him to have you available to help out.

9. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks, it's a bit sad that I am halfway across the world and not be able to see its progress. Hopefully soon though! :) :)

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    I'm sad that Jon isn't doing my Dino!! What a dream!!!

Freeman

11. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #37 msdesignltd, Jan 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    Are there any picture galleries of the modified version..
    I think the 275 GTB tail lights really look pure Fantasy..

12. Lotaz

Lotaz Formula 3

Nov 18, 2016
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I like it, why not be original in your thinking. That car is beautiful in its current state. I wouldn't even change the interior but I like not to be one of the sheep following the herd. Sometimes tasteful modifications are a good thing contrary to popular belief.

13. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    I came from a country where only 3 dinos exist (1 is in mid restoration, 1 has all but disappeared from public view and 1 is basically a furniture piece in someone's garage).

To me, originality is absolutely important, for my own peace of mind.

But I did like how it looked when I bought it, but I've always bought it with the intention of bringing it back to exactly how it left the factory.

14. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    #40 1971dino246gt, Jan 31, 2017
  15. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #41 omgjon, Feb 10, 2017
  16. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
  17. DinoLasse

DinoLasse Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 26, 2009
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Lars
    I am a little sorry to see it go back to original, but I know I am in a minority. Both the front and the rear sections were so well thought out, and so beautifully done. Sort of like a Dino concept car, but legal and equipped for the road.

But I suppose it was inevitable. And I am sure it will be beautiful when you are done with it.

Nice, spacious facilities you have there!

Lars

18. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    Thanks for the update jon, really excited for what's to come!

19. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #45 omgjon, Mar 8, 2017
    Making a lot of progress on the metal work. We changed the floor to sock, made a new front nose, added bumpers, changed the hood, fabricated new correct flares, replaced rusted areas behind wheels, changed rear panel from one light back to two and added rear bumpers. The sills have some rot so we need to fix that then off to the paint shop for surfacing and paint. I'm keeping Speedzone busy with paint jobs. This one will be back to original Rosso Dino.

20. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    Amazing work as always! Looking forward to its finished paint job!

21. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    #47 omgjon, May 16, 2017
    Finally all the metal work is done to get this car back to original! New nose with lights and proper grill, front bumpers, new hood, reworked floors, vent fan mounting brackets, new sills,doors can now have locks, correct flares, rear bumpers and correct rear lights. Then the usual rust spots taken care off. Next is the paint shop and it will go back to original Rosso Dino. This one has been a bit of a journey!

22. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Great job Jon!

I am pleased the small contributions we made to your efforts provided good results :)

Regards, Alberto

23. 1971dino246gt

1971dino246gt Karting

Oct 9, 2010
    So looking forward to see what the car looks like after its paint job!

24. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Yes, Thank you alberto!!! I highly recommend alberto for out of the ordinary stuff in a timely manner and Central America prices..