How late can you be with a service whilst not voiding warranty? | FerrariChat

How late can you be with a service whilst not voiding warranty?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by AWSOM50, May 14, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AWSOM50

AWSOM50 Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I have a 2014 458 spider with the 7 year warranty and service plan. My second annual service is due 22nd July but I'm planning to have the car abroad until end of September. My service centre said I could possibly delay it by one month without a problem but didn't seem very clear or definite in his answer.

So I'm sat here reading the warranty booklet, and still not sure of the answer. The booklet reads "These checks must be performed at the intervals indicated by Ferrari, even if national regulations specify more or less frequent intervals".

Does anyone know if I can I delay its annual service by, say, 2 months? or even 3? At what length period do I void the warranty?

Many thanks if anyone knows the answer to this.

2. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015

Can you not do it a bit earlier?

3. Matt_337

Matt_337 Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Matt
  4. AWSOM50

AWSOM50 Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    United Kingdom
    My dealer has a month lead time. It's booked in but it's too late for my plans really. I'm trying to find another dealer who can do it quicker but doubt I will succeed.

Thanks, I read the thread through and it seems to imply the same. But I still don't feel certain?

I don't mind paying for a service but don't want to devalue the car by voiding the warranty.

I have just emailed the dealer to ask the latest date I can do it without voiding the warranty. Maybe I'll get a concrete response in writing.

5. carcommander

carcommander Formula 3

Sep 28, 2006
    Southeast
    Full Name:
    Jim
    In the US one month before or one month after. Otherwise you have to pay for it.

motodavid2000 likes this.
  6. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I highly doubt missing it invalidates a warranty.

7. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    I just purchased a 2014 Spider, and had the 7 year "Service" explained by two separate dealers as: "You can have the annual service performed within the two month window prior the service due date, or within the 1 month after the due date." If you miss that 90 day window, then you are responsible for the cost of the Service that was due. They both indicated that missing that window in any given year does NOT affect the remaining years because each service is considered separately.

I was also told that missing a single period did not void the actual vehicle warranty, but putting miles on the car without any service for an extended period of time (not defined) could allow F to deny payment if they believe the defect was caused by the missed services (seems logical).

Jim

8. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015

That's too bad; good luck, mine have been pretty good, sometimes if you can leave it there for a bit they can get to it in-between.

9. Rcktrod

Rcktrod F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2010
    USA
    I was told it's a 60 day window from the delivery date. I you do it earlier than the delivery dat, that date will become the new service date for the next year.

10. TC94

TC94 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 23, 2005
    TN
    The accepted range is 30 days before to 30 days after the purchase date. So a two month window.

Just curious, are you certain you also have a 7 yr warranty? Standard is 3 years but some often buy an extra 2 at the end of that. Is it possible you're confusing the 7 year free maintenance period with warranty period?

Just asking to either be helpful to you or to learn something new myself. Thanks and good luck.

11. AWSOM50

AWSOM50 Rookie

Mar 29, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I think you could be correct. Perhaps I misremembered it to be a 7 year warranty as I see no evidence of such in any of the docs. In fact I see no warranty time period specified anywhere, therefore from now I will assume its the standard warranty.

Thanks for pointing this out.

If its warranty does expire in 2017 after all, then my original question becomes moot and my feeling is now to take the car abroad and service it later in the year (It has only done 1200 miles since last service).

12. Stevenb

Stevenb F1 Rookie

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Steven
    I had a lengthy conversation about this with the service department. You have 30 days to get the free maintenance after the due date. If you go over you can decide to do the service yourself which will be out of your pocket. The free maintenance continues one year after your missed time frame. Not when you did your last service. I would recommend doing the service even if it's out of pocket if you drive the car a lot. If there is an issue that needs to be covered by warranty then it may not be handeled if it is a problem that resulted from irregular maintenance

13. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric

It is 60 days before or after the in service date...

14. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida
    So, given all of the conflicting time periods stated, what we have apparently learned is that either the dealer's actually decide the time period window for service, or some of them didn't "get the memo.."

Jim

15. shawdut

shawdut Formula Junior

May 30, 2014
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Shawn D
    I posted this in another thread so forgive me for posting this again here:

Today I went to look at a two owner, low mileage (2,250), 2012 458 coupe that has all the options I want and is in immaculate condition (garage queen?). I have two concerns:
    2,250 miles is low for a 6 year-old car - is that too low? (These cars need to be driven)
    The service records show annual services done in 2012, 13, 14 and 17. No service done for the 3 years between mid 14 and mid 17.

Would appreciate any feedback on what might have been compromised by not having the car serviced for 3 years? If I consider the car, is the Power warranty a 'must'?

16. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Timely topic because I just called about this.

My 488 was delivered the end of February 2017 so I am due for the 1st service.
    I called the head of the service department at my dealer and was told I am OK as long as it is done before the end of April.
    Having it serviced tomorrow.

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    My 3rd 458 and I should know this but does the car notify me with a light when it needs service or do I need to find out my date from the dealer/service center?

18. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    So, I had to disconnect my battery this winter and when I went to reset the date in the display, I entered the wrong date. Shortly after that, the "green wrench" light came on. I talked to my dealer about this and they said it came on because the date was wrong. Regardless, I'm thinking that the tech can reset the service date and therefore you would be notified, by your car, stating that the service is due.

I schedule service on the date recommended by the dealer based on my in-service date of the car. Fortunately for me, my service date corresponds to the time I bring it our of winter storage.

BTW - my dealer said that having the car serviced earlier is much better than trying to get it serviced after the "service date". I'm assuming the dealer can work with FNA, if you can't get your car in soon enough.

This has been my experience.

19. JimPVB

JimPVB Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2016
    Florida

No notice from the car (unless there's been a recent change to the software), you have to know the date and schedule on your own.

Jim

20. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Dealer responded to my question, says green wrench will light up on the screen and alert me.

21. imcarnuts

imcarnuts Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2011
    Steeler Country
    Full Name:
    Duffy
    I bought my 488 used. Is it based on my purchase date or the original owner? I would assume (hate to do that) it would be from when I purchased since it was Certified.

22. 338Lapua

338Lapua Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2015
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tony
    To my understanding it is based on the "in-service" date of the car but the dealer should be able to verify.

23. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    I'm at the 1 year mark now and no "green wrench" has appeared.

24. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Take it in.

25. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

^^^^^^^
    Exactly this and if I’m not mistaken it nulls and voids any future free service.