Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread | Page 75 | FerrariChat

Official 308 GTB/GTS Market Thread

Discussion in '308/328' started by vaccarella, Jan 21, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4redno

4redno Formula 3

Mar 21, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Keith Mitchell Wintraub
    Have you considered taking the car to a well respected automobile painter or auto detailing shop to see if they can wet sand and polish the Polyglycoat off?

Wet sanding and polishing to remove the "orange peel" from the top layer of clear coat is a common practice for high end restorations and that same approach might work to remove the Polyglycoat

$0.02.

Keith

2. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    19055 yes, I work for a dealer, we bought it some time ago and recently we decided to offer it for sale.

4redno we obviously did consider a respray but it's not just any other bad paint. Thing it that the top layer of clear coat os nice and flush, it's only the paint underneath that crackled. It's a very strange thing, I've never seen anything like it before. I just wanted to see if any of the guys over the pond had any experience of that treatment.

We could have obviously had the car resprayed but then it would be just another 308 with perfect paint, at the moment we don't mind preserving it as it is. I hope to find a buyer for it as it stands, there's always time to have it painted and add that money on top of the asking price.

Thanks for your your help guys. Always the best website for all things Ferrari.

3. Michael Call

Michael Call Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 6, 2008
    S.L.C. Utah
    Full Name:
    Michael D. Call
    The issue with the paint has nothing to do with polyglycoat. The cracks are lacquer checking that was common on cars painted with Glidden-Salci lacquer paint (pre 1983). Many cars were re painted under warranty. Most have been repainted by now.

4. davidedegiorgi

Jun 27, 2012
    London
    Full Name:
    Davide De Giorgi
    Thanks Michael, I was sure someone could have cleared that up.

I think we'll keep it as it is for the time being, it really looks great as it is. Someone actually asked us if it was done un purpose, which I found hilarious.

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    It's a case that the car WAS resprayed.......the OEM paint system does not take well to a later paint product without being totaly sealed, or, sanded off.

So the later clear coat has reacted with the original laquer.
    It creates a sort of "ming vase' texture....I know it well.

Leave alone for the buyer to sort, or paint the whole car, glass out.
    Good luck should you start down that road.
    You will need a new windshield.....LOL!

6. stonker

stonker Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2012
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Stonker
    I'm not an expert just an interested amateur but I think the UK market is similar to what you describe below. Steel cars seem to have hit a ceiling price and quite a few cars trying to push that ceiling have been for sale for a while. Some dealers are trying to break the
    £100,000 level but I think that's proving difficult at the moment. Really nice carb and QV's are probably around £ 80,000 +. There's quite a few cars for sale which doesn't help prices either.

7. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    This is very much correct. To expand, lacquer paint is very hard and expands at a differential rate than the steel below. As such over the years as the paint gets more brittle the movement of the metal below during changes in temperature literally pull the paint apart and make it looked like cracked ceramic. Later cars that used Glasurit paint did not have this issue as the paint was much more flexible and could take up these expansion and contraction movements in the body panels.

8. Jezter70

Jezter70 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2013
    Surry (from UK)
    Full Name:
    Jez
    I know of at least two confirmed private sales of 308 RHD carb cars at way over £100k .... i think the days of the £80k early steel carb 308 (in the UK at least), are long gone! The few i have seen at this price level at dealers seem to be lower grade examples that require some considerable work .... and as we know parts to replace no original elements of these cars are going through the roof!
    BR,
    Jez

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Interesting info. Way over £100k meaning 110 120 130 or ?

10. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
    Pricing the early 308
    I am interested in a 75/76/76 early 308 very good car. Euro spec not red.
    Ideally in the USA but willing to import.

11. greg 19425

greg 19425 Formula 3

Jan 6, 2011
    Wake Forest, NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Good luck with that. :)

12. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    What is you budget?

13. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    #1864 derekw, May 22, 2016
    Last edited: May 22, 2016
    Many carbed 308's in the US have had the Euro bumpers fitted (or pushed in to look better), cats removed, and even cams/jets changed. You can also fit the dry sump if needed for racing. If that's not an option look on mobile.de and autoscout24.com (there are a couple of early fibreglass cars for €200k)

14. Iceblue

Iceblue Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2012
    Virginia Beach
    Full Name:
    Olivier Perault
  15. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    #1866 ClydeM, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    I had to get my US 1983 308GTB qv appraised for the insurance company.
    95K miles, new interior, nice exterior, fairly recent engine service -
    $89K

WooHoo! somebody want to offer that? :D

16. MREUS

MREUS Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 24, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    #1867 MREUS, May 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. 308inSD

308inSD F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 17, 2010
    SD, CA
    Full Name:
    Greg
    This chart doesn't make sense to me. I would think that the theoretical value difference between a #1 car and a #X car below it should be in the neighborhood of the cost to bring the lower car up to #1 condition. Is there really $84k in cost to bring a #4 car up to #1 condition? If not, then which condition car is mispriced?

18. 19055

19055 Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2014
    Netherlands, Europe
    Full Name:
    Emile
    84K is even a bargain. According to the same valuation tool the difference between an "excellent" and "concours" Vetro is a whopping 43K. Quite an amount for a thorough detailing job now, isn't it ?

Talking about bargains: "way back" in 2007 the difference between a # 4 Vetro and a #1 Vetro was some 15K . Well , I guess labour rates were quite a lot less back then.. :)

19. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    #1870 Brian A, May 30, 2016
    Last edited: May 30, 2016
    Did Hagerty revise their definition of Level #1?

I had thought a major differentiator between #1 and #2 was that a #1 car had to be extremely low miles. Said another way, a car with mileage could never achieve #1 no matter how well it was restored. I am almost certain I read this in the definitions last year.

EDIT:
    I will correct myself. I found descriptions of the Levels I had archived from 2014. The description of Levels is unchanged.

What I was thinking of is the description of Level #2 which says, Level #2 cars "... can be former #1 cars that have been driven or have aged." The description doesn't directly address mileage.

20. derekw

derekw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 7, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek W
    The top cars are usually low mileage and/or very original . No amount of money can get that back :)

21. MaranelloDave

MaranelloDave Formula 3

Apr 27, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It is interesting that Hagerty does not mention mileage in its definitions of the different levels. Obviously, mileage is very important, unless the car is so rare that mileage is less of a concern (which doesn't apply to 308s).

22. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Iceblue are you looking for a ready to drive car? If not contact me. I have a 77 early non cat steel car. Originally silver on bordeaux. Not a big project but presently not running. I'm presently seriously thinking about selling but not sure yet, depends on value.

I have a NEW passion and my older cars may go.

23. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    Yeah, I had it stuck in my head that only unused museum cars could be level 1. It sounds like even high mileage cars can get there.

I wonder how concours points, per Ferrari Club (IAC/PFA) judging guidelines, correspond to Hagerty Level 1 and Level 2? If I had to guess, I would say Level 1 is 99 or 100 points and level 2 is 97 or 98 points. Only Hagerty could say for sure though.

24. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #1875 johnk..., Jun 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2016