Protecting Ferrari from sun? | FerrariChat

Protecting Ferrari from sun?

Discussion in '360/430' started by arachnyd, May 13, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    I just built a new "toy" garage. I had the bright idea when I built it to do glass windows along the side of our patio so we can see the cars and bikes.

This is great and we loved the idea until I realized now the sun is shining on my cars 3/4 of the day every day... Ugh.

So now I'm trying to think of what I should do. I'm leaving towards a cover. I bought a cover craft, but it's disturbingly rough on the underside and I don't know if I'd trust it even though it's well reviewed. I bought a generic cover for two bikes and one of my classics.

I also thought about just putting UV protected tint on the windows but that might defeat the point. Curtains are another idea but I should probably have a cover as well.

I know there are other posts about different covers. Any ideas from people in similar situations?

2. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    UV tint the Windows or cover the cars with factory covers. My garage back wall is Ferris Bueller-type floor to ceiling glass. I can see the cars from my deck and hot tub, and with the glass and skylight, there's enough ambient light to forgo indoor lights during the day.

Go for it!
    [​IMG]

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

3. 88Testarossa

88Testarossa Formula 3

Sep 25, 2012
    Annapolis and Daytona Beach
    Full Name:
    Al
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent by incredibly fast electrons

4. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    It IS a great idea, and I have been considering something along those lines if/when the time comes. To deal with your issue and be able to be discrete at times, I am planning electrochromic windows :)

5. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    There are some nice window tint products out there for your home. There is bound to be one that can reflect away a good portion of the light.

6. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Clear protective polycarbonate will block one hundred percent of the harmful ultraviolet rays if you put it on your garage or any window

7. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I live in a high rise and have a bunch of parking spaces on the bottom floor of the underground garage.. It's dark as hell down there and stays in the high 60's F year round. I'm amazed the difference it makes in preserving a car. No doubt the sun is the biggest enemy to our toys. Not telling you anything you don't already know.

Get your garage windows tinted.

8. Dolceexte

Dolceexte Formula 3

Dec 20, 2015
    You can get electric blinds that you get to control with a remote or app; not the cheap looking type either

9. arachnyd

arachnyd Karting

Feb 5, 2016
    Springboro
    Has anyone here actually used a UV tint or Polycarbonate? Have good luck?

Thanks for sharing- what kind of tint did you use? I'm seeing VERY mixed reviews on the clear UV films, and I don't want to tint too much or it will defeat the purpose of having the glass windows.

I always liked those in theory, but one of my sister's neighbors has them in Breckendridge. They are great from the inside, but when they get dark during the day so you can't see in them from the outside. That in many ways can defeat the purpose of the windows. I'd love them for regulating light inside though.

I've been seeing mixed reviews for the clear ones, and if I get the dark ones or the mirrored ones, I might as well put blinds on them!

I didn't know polycarbonate will block UV. I've been reading online that it might not block 100%, but I think this might be the way to do it- Put up big sheats of polycarbonate behind the glass, AND use a good cover. However, I can be a little more liberal with leaving the covers off that way since the majority of UV light will be blocked.

This probably would have been my first choice until eyeman suggested polycarbonate. Thanks for your thoughts.

10. rongotti

rongotti Karting

Apr 11, 2015
    North Florida
    50% 3M Crystaline tint, it's what I use on home windows and the front windshield of the car.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

11. billboboy

billboboy Formula Junior

Aug 15, 2015
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Will L
    For the car leather I highly recommend Aerospace Protectant. It won't help with the heat swelling but is excellent for UV protection. For heat swelling you can get your windows treated with Optically clear InfraRed blocking film.

303 (30313-CSR) Aerospace Protectant Trigger Sprayer, 32 Fl. oz. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KN0UOEE/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i.moxb9SJCZJ7

12. ICULUKN

ICULUKN Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2007
    Ahwatukee AZ
    Full Name:
    G.P.
    Can you build an awning over the windows to provide shade?

13. kerncostelow

kerncostelow Rookie

Jun 30, 2015
    Call me crazy but isn't wax supposed to protect the paint?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

14. espvh

espvh Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2005
    NEW YORK!
  15. KM1959

KM1959 Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2014
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Great stuff. Have it in the house and in the car. Works very well in the Southern California sun ...and that's saying something.

16. jpk

jpk Formula Junior

Yeah, as others have said, just put film on your garage windows to block the UV. I went with Huper Optik. It's defeating the point to cover your car indoors.

17. rongotti

rongotti Karting

Apr 11, 2015
    North Florida
    It works wonders, no bubbling dash on my 360 lol [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

18. efg2014

efg2014 Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2014
    Northern California
    Not toys, necessary set of wheels for our psychological well being.