Garage question | FerrariChat

Garage question

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by It's Ross, May 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Looking for suggestions and a vendor for coating my garage floor.
    I work in my garage so it must be durable.
    Thanks!

2. Tod328gts

Tod328gts Formula Junior

Jul 23, 2003
    River Forest, IL
    Full Name:
    Tod Whitmore
    I power washed my garage floor and then got some of that epoxy garage floor cover from Home Depot. I had to use two coats to cover it. I also used the flakes in it to to add some traction. That was about 5 years ago and it still looks great.... Just be sure it is well ventilated when you do it... :)

3. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

You might consider having your floor diamond ground and polished. Low maintenance and high durability.

4. farrbar

farrbar Karting

Sep 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I used crest concrete coating in my 2 car and my 8 car garage. In both cases the diamond ground and then applied epoxy. One was a 2 step with lots of chips the other was single stage with mild flakes.

If you want to see in person let me know. I'm in north burbs.

5. DavidBrown

DavidBrown Karting

Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Bluff, IL
    Full Name:
    David Brown
  6. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    #6 It's Ross, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    Thanks for replies.
    I investigated an epoxy coating from an outfit that advertises in the coupon rag in every other day's mail and was quoted prices around $5/sq. ft. which doesn't seem justified.
    My slab was done last year for just a bit more than that.
    It is a fresh slab with a rotary screeded finish. I want to avoid stains as it will see plenty of spills, gas, oil, all sorts of chemicals that would be used in a shop.

7. farrbar

farrbar Karting

Sep 28, 2006
    Chicagoland
    I think I was under $3 per foot on the larger space (single stage) and about $4.25 on my standard 2 car (2 stage). Both slabs needed a little work, but that took them almost no time.

8. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I did mine myself with Legacy industrial products. Ground the floor (which is recommended), primer/epoxy/urethane. It was about $2k in materials for 1700 sq/ft and was a lot of work.

9. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    #9 Ferris Bueller, May 17, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hey James,
    I know you are on Garage Journal with me.
    I also used Legacy products and the service was good till I had a problem.
    The floor was painted grey with fleck and after 2 months it turned to an olive green color.
    Legacy told me to redo the floor and was no help at all. I never bashed them on the forum but would never use their products again, it was too much hard work and money as you know.
    I redid the floor using Sherwin Williams industrial coatings and was very impressed with the results.
    How is your floor holding up?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    #10 INTMD8, May 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Dominic. Yes I remember now you had an issue with their stuff. Not a job I would want to do over!

Yours looks great now!

Mine is holding up pretty good. A few chips from dropping stuff, random scuffs and scratches are showing but I suppose that is expected with gloss white. No color change though I have no windows either so it isn't exposed to much UV.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. carbonm

carbonm Karting

Mar 13, 2016
    I did it myself on new concrete with expoxyshields from home depot. did a 2.5 car for around $200 and holding up great.

12. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I am shocked at the prices for a professional job. It is just inconceivable to me how merely applying a finish can be as costly as the actual construction of the slab itself. Nobody seems to be able to explain, just "this is what it costs".
    I have built the structure so I guess I'll be doing the floor surface myself too. I was really hoping for a break.
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll post up my choice and results but not anytime soon.

13. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Ross,
    It's labor intensive.
    I rented a diamond brush from home depot and took 4-5 hours to do a 22x22 garage floor.
    You also have to follow the spec sheet for the coatings. They differ from one to another but you only have a certain time window to do base and clear once its activated with hardener so you basically have to devote a whole weekend to do this project.
    If you have any questions I know James and myself would be glad to help you

14. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith

Skilled labor can ask just about any price right now, there is a *huge* shortage in the construction industry, and materials prices keep going up.

I had my garage done about 7 years ago with the epoxy, kinda pricy but has held up very well. I think I paid around $4 / sq. ft. - the garage is around 1,300 sq ft.

It seemed expensive at the time, but not now.

Good luck with your project!

15. koop

koop Formula Junior

Apr 30, 2011
  16. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    It still seems like a racket to me.
    Compare excavating, forming, a semi load of gravel, reinforcing wire mesh, 18 yds.($130-ish) of concrete and labor to do it all to shoving a floor grinder around for half a day and rolling on some "paint".
    Besides, if a first timer with a rented machine can do it with good results just how skilled is that labor?
    I have no aversion to hard labor, especially when it pays well.
    I'd love to have your input when I'm ready since you know the ropes, thanks.

17. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    Tell me about it. I'm in the end stages of a large re-model/addition. It's been a nightmare.
    Lots of tradesmen bailed out during the last bust and what remains are a few good ones that were always in demand and able to survive then the dregs and hall bums. I've had a taste of each.