F355 Challenge "Special" Silencer Fitment | FerrariChat

F355 Challenge "Special" Silencer Fitment

Discussion in '348/355' started by JAYKAY, May 22, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    Hello all,

I have a question for the FChat braintrust. I have a 1997 F355 Spider and don't care for my neighbors. My car currently has Fabspeed headers and a Tubi muffler, but I'd like to turn it up to 11.

My question is will the "special" Challenge silencer bolt up to the rest of a standard 5.2 exhaust? It looks like there is a spacer in place of the bypass valve in the Challenge system, so it doesn't seem like a sure thing to me.

The part I'm talking about is listed as 167003 (number 8 in the attached link).

EXHAUST SYSTEM - AIR INTAKE - Ricambi America, Inc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

JK

2. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    The spacer you are talking about is #9 on the table you are talking about. I believe this exhaust will bolt up to your car but it will be very loud and it won't sound like a Ferrari. I hope your neighbours don't own shot guns.

3. scrappin35

scrappin35 Karting

Dec 13, 2011
    FT Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Jim H
    I'm pretty sure number 9 in the diagram is the bypass delete pipe, the silencer would be the bypass valve. Your car is going to be pretty loud if you started it in a garage without that bypass valve on

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

4. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    My 98 has a custom pipe setup like the challenge exahust, no muffler. It's really loud. I live in a rual area and one neighbor hates the car but he's a bit grumpy as I drive it max 3 times a week over 4 months a year and it takes 30 seconds to go by his house.

Ferrari bud has a challenge copy for sale in the classified now but it will need a bung welded for the after bypass thermocouple as that one is for a 95

5. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    is that pricing correct...for a genuine/oem 355 challenge straight exhaust #8 on the diagram.. at $305..?

6. Drock28

Drock28 Formula 3

Jan 13, 2013
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Tony
    actual exhaust Part #8... discontinued no longer available.. as confirmed by ricambi..

7. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Top speed makes a repro, ~$700. If anyone thinks it doesn't sound like a Ferrari, they don't know what a Ferrari sounds like. The bypass valve spacer/replacement is not necessary and I would not run one on a street car as it will throw off the part throttle mixture adjustment. On a race car that spends most of its time at wot,it doesn't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/_Jslt7Ogwg4

8. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K

Funny you should mention shotguns. It so happens that my neighbor owns a gun shop. As a straight-piped diesel truck sort of person I don't think he'll be the biggest issue. This is more for the rest of them.

JK

9. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K
    I see that the price is no longer up on the Ricambi site; bummer. The Top Speed setup looks nicely made and is apparently available in titanium as well. Thanks to everybody for the input. I will decide which way to go and report back.

JK

10. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    Here is a challenge stock exhaust sound, the silver car
    That will peek your neighbors interest :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVETNFDXcLw[/ame]

11. Jase90

Jase90 Rookie

Mar 17, 2014
    Hello

I have a challenge topspeed pipe, and had a bracket made in aluminium, I did like 200 miles on it, so its like new, it has the bung welded in for the thermocouple, and bolts straight into the standard 5.2 system, make me an offer I cant refuse.

Jason

12. JAYKAY

JAYKAY Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 4, 2009
    Naperville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jim K

PM Sent

13. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
  14. Subarubrat

Subarubrat Formula 3

Apr 1, 2009
    VA
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I ran this system for a few days before going Capristo 3. I have never been averse to any loud exhaust ever in my life, but this one was horrible. The tone completely changed, it sounded nothing like a 355 anymore, it droned at cruise in the worst way, and it just sounded like a an old truck with a rusted out exhaust.

If you want the best get a Capristo 3! Amazing tone and volume with no drone at cruise.

15. Rob'Z

Rob'Z Formula 3

Mar 29, 2008
    Tucson,AZ
    Full Name:
    Robert
    While I don't doubt the Capristo sounds great I feel the MS Racing, Kriesseig and Mille Miglia also sound glorious and get little to no mention.

16. ferrari bud

ferrari bud Formula Junior

Jun 29, 2014
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Chris