Sorry Brothers, Rossina is gone. | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Sorry Brothers, Rossina is gone.

Discussion in '348/355' started by John_K_348, May 10, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    The person who hit Jon (Bullfighter) wasn't simply "not paying attention when driving", they're believed to have been driving whilst under the influence of drugs (made worse by the fact that they already had 3 DUI's convictions against them already and so should never have been allowed a licence to drive ever again!).

In the case of John_K_348's incident, being as it was a young girl driving, I would be amazed if it turned out she really was messing with her GPS at the time of the incident.

My monies firmly on her texting/blogging/facebooking her mates on her phone whilst driving, completely oblivious to the entire outside World whilst she did it! (Hopefully the Police will track her phone records to verify the truth!)

2. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    ^GPS or texting, either way, it's distracted driving. I don't see how one is better or worse than another.

3. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    ^^^GPS, texting, or stoned-- it's all still distracted driving, and the possible outcomes are not really any different.

4. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    There are some very nice 348s in the FS&W section right now, including a Spider that looks very much like yours. Although it sounds as though you have already decided on another model.

5. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    #55 John_K_348, May 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Whoops, sorry guys the other car is not publicly listed yet. Stay tuned.

7. dahveedem

dahveedem Formula 3

Mar 12, 2012
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    David
    wow... Sorry to see another 348 in a mess but glad everyone was ok. That's an awful big road for her to be on your side... :(

Makes me think about checking with my insurance agent about the valuation we have set for mine.

8. 4rePhill

4rePhill F1 Veteran

Oct 18, 2009
    Worcester, England
    Full Name:
    Phill J
    Driving whilst stoned out of your brains on drugs or whilst blind drunk on alcohol is not simply "distracted driving", it's driving whilst being deliberately and severely impaired - Hence why a "DUI" will normally carry a stiffer penalty than being caught texting or using a GPS system (at least it does here in the UK. Get caught on you phone whilst driving and it's 3 points on your license [12 points= a ban] and £100 fine. Get caught drink/drug driving and it's an automatic ban ).

That's not to say that texting or using a GPS system whilst driving ("distracted driving") is any less a stupid thing to do, or any less dangerous, as shown with this accident.

The difference is, "Distracted driving" can be the result of a single moments lapse in concentration whilst driving that can cause an accident. It's not the result of being in a completely unfit state to drive the car in the first place.

In the case of John_K_348's incident, up until the moment that the girl in the oncoming car was distracted (resulting in the incident), there was no reason why, based purely on the Law, she shouldn't have been behind the wheel of a car.

What happened in "Bullfighter"'s case though, wasn't simply the result of a single moments lapse in concentration due to being distracted by something such as a phone or GPS, it was the result of the actions of someone who was completely unfit to drive a car from the moment they started to do whatever drugs they were doing.

In this case, the woman who caused the incident should never have got behind the wheel in the first place as she was unsafe from the moment she got in the car (and having three DUI convictions already, shouldn't have been allowed to drive anyway!).

The point I was making was that saying "Bullfighter"'s incident was due to the actions of a distracted driver made it sound as though the driver was perfectly fine to drive until just before they ran into Bullfighter, and that simply wasn't the case!

I'm not trying to make this a competition as to whose incident was worse, and I'm not trying to play down the incident that John_K_348 sadly became involved in through no choice of his own, both incidents should never have happened!

All I'm saying is that a "DUI" driver and a "distracted" driver, whilst both a danger to others, is not the same thing in My book.

This site seems to define "DUI" and "distracted driving" as being separate issues, much as I see it: https://ncadd.org/about-addiction/driving-while-impaired-alcohol-and-drugs

As I can already tell that neither of you are going to grasp the point I was trying to make, I'll leave it at that and not bother with this thread any further.

9. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
  10. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    You can add a death in the family to all of this heartache. My father in law died from cancer around the time I left for Long Island to do the test drive. He was sick for some time so it wasn't a total shock but my mother in law has been through a world of grief. Last year her third daughter died of cancer. My wife, her oldest, died 4 year ago of cancer too. We all came together in support so it was good to be there and spend some time with the nieces and nephews. I rented a 2015 Mustang in Gunmetal Gray and drove my mother and brother in law around for the service. Then I took the kids out for a drive before I left for the airport.

Good news is they also had a 2004 Spider with nice extras and low miles at FoLI. Spoke to my broker over the weekend and placed a deposit in the mail. Should be there now. Other drivers insurance will cover whole cost an I am collecting receipts to help boost the value. ALl those news parts from the major should help. That should be wrapped up this week and I got my OZs off the car on Friday. Front left is only slightly out of round so I will have it repaired. I will need spacers for the 360 and maybe a higher profile tire up front. I'll finance the difference until after the election and pay off the balance when we know more. Maybe before if the market tanks again ;) It's a good time to buy since 360s have bottomed. Wish me luck. I want to be ready for Concorso Ferrari & Friends next month.

11. RSO1091

RSO1091 Formula 3

Mar 31, 2012
    Idyllwild, CA.
    Full Name:
    Henry S.
    So sorry to hear about everything you're going through John. Losing a prized possession is bad enough, but it's much harder to part with a loved one. Know that we are thinking of you and your family right now. From one Massachusetts boy to another, I hope all goes well for you all.

Henry

12. vvassallo

vvassallo F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2006
    Palos Verdes
    Full Name:
    Vince V
    Good luck on the new acquisition. Don't forget us once you have your "jelly bean". :)

13. Merano

Merano Rookie

May 10, 2005
    Metrowest, MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Major Bummer! I'm glad to here your O.K. and it's not going to be the same not see your 348 at FONE events. Your car always looked great. I'm sure whatever you buy, you will make the same tasteful upgrades you did on the 348.

14. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Wow. Glad you are ok.

15. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Good news my brothers! Insurance called around lunch today to offer around $54K plus sales tax at about $3.4K. I countered at $60k and they will get back to me. Wow I can't believe I'm getting almost 10 grand appreciation on this car! Hope to pull the trigger on the new one by next week.

16. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #66 Wade, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. cf355

cf355 F1 Rookie

Feb 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    chris
    excellent news

18. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes! Respray was done very well. I just had front bumper repaired and mounted it myself. Added rear view mirror and front clear wrap. Destickied interior in place. No new finish just armorall. Hvac worked and magic mice! New speed sensor and extensive major with all valves adjusted. :( Sitting by my 360 spider right now insulating garage. :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

19. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    I got $63,750 that went to 360. 14k appreciation on my purchase price

20. ///Mike

///Mike F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2003
    Bugtussle
    So is that a confirmation of the VIN that wade posted, or are you not wanting to comment?

I've started my own database of 348 VINs and would like to note that it was written off.

21. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Yes thats the one. Resprayed very well. You could see some old over spray in the wheel wells from the blue. It's also visible on the crushed fender and headlight.

22. carnutdallas

carnutdallas Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 11, 2010
    Dallas Burbs
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sorry for your difficulties. Glad the car is becoming a positive outcome. Enjoy the 360!

I am not sure if it was mentioned, but what was the mileage of the lost 348? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

23. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Just crossed 16k I think. 13K by me. With two or three long highway trips about 800 miles each.

24. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    A little reminiscing in the new driving season... Yes this car was the Lassen Dolphin car. But it was built in Rosso Corsa and shipped to Hawaii. (Title history) Spent a few years there in the artist's showroom. Then bought by Ceasar's Palace and shipped to Vegas. 7 years there as lobby queen grand prize or something. Then auctioned off in Texas the year before I bought it, 2013. Respray and mild resto done by Prestige Motor Works, Long Island, NY. Full Major paid for by me at Independent Ferrari Service, South Easton, MA. Thanks John! He will probably do the ball joints and bushings on my 360 Spider in the coming years, or FoNE. Hill upgrades ;) Safe and happy driving everyone!

8500rpm likes this.
  25. 8500rpm

8500rpm Formula Junior

May 20, 2014
    San Francisco Bay
    Full Name:
    Chan
    Sorry to see you going through these challenges in recent years, but glad you are enjoying your 360. All the best.