Fuel pump relay? | FerrariChat

Fuel pump relay?

Discussion in '308/328' started by rcraig, May 25, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    I can't find it in the manual, but is there a relay for the fuel pump?

2. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    #2 Jonny Law, May 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Look under the panel on the dash, in front of the passenger seat. You should find a map of the relays. It will something like this.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Thanks. I looked at the manual which shows and labels all of them, but there are none for the fuel pump. Does it even have one?

4. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    #4 rcraig, May 25, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, the current required for a low pressure fuel pump on a carburetted model is low enough that it doesn't need/have a fuel pump relay, but your model is notorious for the metal plates and rivets on the fuse block causing connection trouble in the fuel pump motor current path, and there is a very unreliable safety switch built into the Driver's seat bottom (that is usually jumpered closed if you want it to work ;)). Are you having a fuel pump operation problem?

6. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Thanks. I think so. I will explain what happens. BTW. Replaced old box with Birdmans.
    I can start and run car with no apparent problems. After fully warming car, sometimes for up to an hour and then stopping at gas or cars and coffee.
    Many times after restarting car all seeming normal and leaving the pumps or parking spot, the car will seem to be normal , but will stall upon acceleration( for instance acceleration onto highway). It feels like it's running out of gas. Most times I can restart normally and then drive away and all seems normal. But often car will take a bit of effort to restart. Seems to be getting harder to restart over time.
    My thought is that after stopping to refuel and then getting back in to restart perhaps the fuel pump is not refilling carbs and I am running off of fuel remaining as I came to a stop at station etc.
    I always turn key to first position until dash light goes out before restarting and listen for fuel pump noise, but thinking maybe fuel pump makes various noises if that makes any sense.

Probably sounds crazy, but is really a PITA and borders on a safety issue when driving onto turnpike from rest stop etc. otherwise car seems to run fine.

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No disagreement there. The fuseblock change is definitely an operational upgrade (and you might either confirm that the voltage drop across the Driver's seat switch is not excessive or jumper it out - most are - and maybe yours already is ;)).

The 308GT4 WSM does have "capacity" (flow at zero pressure) and pressure (pressure at zero flow) for the 308 carb fuel pump if you want to confirm/deny.

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #8 Steve Magnusson, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
    One other thought = on the '78-'79 US 308, they added an overpressure relief/recirculation valve on the output line from the fuel pump. If that has failed, most of the fuel could just be recirculating instead of being delivered up to the carbs. If you measure the "capacity" test by disconnecting the fuel supply line to the carbs and measuring the "volume delivered in a certain time" that would test the combination of the two together (although only at near-zero pressure).

9. rcraig

rcraig F1 Rookie

Dec 7, 2005
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Bob Craig
    Thanks so much Steve. appreciate the wealth of information some of you guys so generously offer on this forum are one of the best parts of my great experience of owning this care even with all the quirks of putting over 80,000 miles since I bought the dream about a decade ago.