Just saw something that got my attention and made me sad. | FerrariChat

Just saw something that got my attention and made me sad.

Discussion in 'F1' started by straightpipe, May 29, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The missing hair raising scream of past F1 cars is still there in GP2. Just watched their race in Monte Carlo and found it better than race 1 or Indy. The Indy 500 is just like nascar today.

2. Tobias

Tobias Formula 3

May 22, 2004
    NY
    Just wait until we go closed cockpit.

3. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Then it will be NASCAR w/ some "furren" drivers!

4. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    It's not only the noise ...

In GP2, because the cars are evenly matched (specs series), the races are most intensely fought, and the field doesn't spread like F1.

GP2 is a good series, but unfortunately it lives in the shadow of F1 and doesn't stand alone. That's the only problem with it, IMO.

I wish GP2 could have it's own calendar like F3000 and F2 used to have before.

5. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If the two events were reversed, GP2 would have a good following. F1 might loose some viewers unless changes were made.

6. Prugna

Prugna Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Unites States
    same here. The GP2 sounded fantastic. We loved it.

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

after your post, I just doubled checked by viewing some recent gp2 races compared to pre-2014 f1. No, that gp2 sounds terrible compared to pre2014 f1 cars

isn't it limited to 10500rpm ?

8. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Posted it before but since it's a topic specifically about it:

Took my twin brothers to F1 2 weeks ago (they're 10). F1 they found ok. After FP1, GP2 cars went out on track. Their smile did not go from their face until after the session!

Halfway through FP2 however, they started asking how long left before the cool cars would come again...

9. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    That is upsetting Bas

10. ScuderiaRossa

ScuderiaRossa Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 22, 2001
    Plenty of empty seats during Monaco qualifying and race; when will the FIA get the message?

11. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    gp2 cars are turbo from next year also.

12. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    When they've lost a further 50%.

Does the FIA have a stake in FOM revenue? If not, even worse. Why would they even care if only 3 people come to the track?
    :(

13. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Sure was. They don't know much about F1 (only that I watch it), they honestly believed that the louder cars where the ones we came to see (as it damn well should be).

Louder is always better. No one goes to a festival/concert thing and complain that the volume was too loud. They would complain when it's not loud enough...

It used to be a big thing, part of the spectacle. No longer so.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

To be honest, I think ALL internal combustion engines will be turbo in future.

15. Serie1926

Serie1926 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2012
    MotoGP baby! :)

16. straightpipe

straightpipe Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 23, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm a little biased. I haven't run stock exhaust on my C4 since 97. I have orig. rusted internal mains and special built empty resonators. That wasn't enough so I had pipes made to eliminate the main mufflers. Ran that for a year on the street and track. Sounds fantastic on acceleration and down shifting but not too overpowering with steady throttle. My 67 327/350 corvette has straight through side pipes since 68. I flip back and forth with the C4. I guess the noise thing started with smitties in the 50's and Indy roadsters. Sitting in the stands and hearing those roadsters go by was electric. If you never experienced that type of racing, you probably wouldn't miss it.