Worst Nightmare Happened (Need Advise) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Worst Nightmare Happened (Need Advise)

Discussion in '360/430' started by yangstein, May 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Yes. I must agree. My GF backed her new to her Italia into the mailbox last week. She collected a pretty bad scrape. Worse than your damage. Nothing money can't correct.

2. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    This is a Ferrari forum so what would you post about except for Ferrari? I agree that this is one of the worst thing that can happen to your Ferrari.

I believe that repair value has to be $600 to be reported; presumably this will be more. If so how about replacing it with a used bumper and having it repainted since any repair will most likely involve repainting the entire bumper.

3. Afonsolaw

Afonsolaw Formula 3

Sep 11, 2011
    New jersey
    This is not true...

Once you make a police report it will show up as a accident on the car fax. Carfax gets all of the police reports and updates your car fax with that info now as well.

4. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

No police report in his case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I took it to Randy, my trust mechanic for a long time and works on all my cars. He looked at it as we have a project to go this week. My bumper should be replaced as the perfect patch job would surface (Noticiable) in 3-5 years. He is not reporting to carfax, he definitely suggested me to go through the insurance company, keep all the pictures and everyting documented as it did not damage the body. The paint job should be done at Premier Motors as they were reccomeneded as World's No.1 here from our chat members lives in FL but uses him. Randy told me he is the best as well.

The car is in the shop and the project begins with all other goodies.

6. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Good luck. It'll be fine.

We're not going through the insurance company either. It's a pretty nasty scrape on the rear quarter panel. It shredded the paint.

7. 348 Turbo

348 Turbo Formula 3

Jul 17, 2002
    Sorry to hear about this my friend.
    Grab your favorite beverage, then grab your significant other, Shell out a few big face hundreds and put it all behind you. You're driving a beautiful Ferrari. Move on.

8. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    This story goes into a funny mode. The insurance company admits their driver's 100% fault (Duh....) and is willing to pay. However, he has only $5,000 liability minimum deductible. Fresh bumper, gets painted and all other things estimation came out to $14000+. I am laughing as I have nothing to say. I know it is just a car but I will have to pay for someone else's fault?

9. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I take the 5K check and buy a used bumper and repaint it? and get it over with?

10. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Can't force water from a stone.. Sounds like you might have to sue him for the difference and win a judgement you can't collect.. :(

If that's the case I'd repaint the bumper personally or fix the old bumper..

11. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Thank you for your advise. I am studying with my mechanic, vivid racing for their bumpers and diffusers as well as talking to my attorney what will be the right move. The uinsurance adjuster was so rude and firm about it. That made me mad. Again, it is just a car and I will get it fixed somehow but it is making me crazy that people can get away with that kind of insurance. If that is what miminum requirement in CA (I am new here) I will lower all my liability to minimum to lower my insurance rate if it is lawful and people can get away with it. Why pay premium where you could pay minimum and walk away no matter if you hit a Ferrari or a Veyron???

12. natman316

natman316 Formula Junior

Jul 20, 2015
    I don't see how a rear bumper + paint + install is going to be 14k????

13. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    No P&R.. but there is a lot of that sinking to the lowest denominator going on. The key is actually not having any money whatsoever. You can do whatever you want and Nobody can come after you for anything! :)

14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Even highly detailed pics don't help much, I had them showing a Black smudge (from a bouncing tire on the road) on the door and fender of my Carrera GT.
    There was "minor paintwork" note on my carfax so I tried to be ready with explanation, since there was absolutely ZERO body damage.
    Still, cost me at least $50k in diminished value when I sold it (compared to similar cars sold at the time).

15. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    You report it to your insurance, they handle reimbursement from the other guys and cover your entire damage in full.
    No deductible on your part and no negative impact on your rating since the other party admitted guilt.
    Went through this couple years ago with my 500 mile 991TTS that was totaled by a guy driving an old pick up truck with $25k limit.

16. 0phantom0

0phantom0 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016
    #66 0phantom0, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    You can get Diminished Value in most states. Plenty of case law supporting it. Especially if it will have a carfax report on you, the damage can be quite severe - 20% or so of the value, even if not severe. The reason it, EVERYONE says "oh it was minor" and the problem is that many people buy these cars sight unseen so most people will just move onto the next car unless its stupid cheap.

17. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

The minimum is 5k but you can have uninsured/ underinsured coverage in your policy and then you are protected against these drivers with lower limits.
    Your policy premium will not be increased because you were not at fault but it will still show as a claim filed to your insurance.
    Still I believe 14k estimate is way too much.

18. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    bumper from Ferrari itself is $7100. I added diffuser. If I dedudct the diffuser, it comes down to about 10K for only bumper including labor, painting everything.

19. mr_bock

mr_bock Formula 3

Oct 27, 2006
    FL full time
    I would most certainly push for a New Bumper. That is part of the safety barrier and now it is compromised! Sure it and be patched and painted over, but the required strength is no longer intact. Don't let the Insurance Company BS you differently.

I know this as my front bumper was damaged by hitting a Possum at 80 mph. My independent body shop owner fought hard and we got a new bumper! I think the poorly primed bumper from the Factory was $5k USD.

20. Perkins

Perkins Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2013
    Sacramento
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I always look to see whether "it's not fair" is a part of the civil jury instructions before I litigate a case. Haven't found it yet.

21. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando

And that just reassures my opinion about lawyers.
    Thanks for your condescending response, I will try to be a better person in the future!!

22. John_K_348

John_K_348 F1 Rookie

Sep 20, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    John E. Kenney
    Negotiate,
    You deserve to be "made whole." If that means a new bumper and expert Ferrari/Maserati bodywork then so be it. I made $14 grand in appreciation on totaling my poor 348 Spider. I'm just glad the other kid had the insurance. The value is what it was BEFORE the accident. Service records and show trophies are a big help. Good luck.

23. yangstein

yangstein Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2015
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Well.. I felt sorry for the guy who hit me. However, insurance company's attitude was exactly like this.... "OK. He admitted 100% that it was his fault. But his insurance has $5K for liability so that is all we can give you. Take the check and disappear" I studied hard yesterday. The guy is liable for the difference between the insurance check VS damage recovery.

He could get "Judgement" on his record for 10 years. He will also lose his license until he pays the difference. If he cannot pay all at once, the payment plan has to be ok at the court. A lien could be put on any of his assets. If he doesn't have any, then his tax return or any sort of money he makes come to me first. That was according to law. This is harsh and I do not want to ruin someone's life???? WTH?

I definitely could meet somewhere in the middle as I feel sorry for the guy but the attitude from insurance adjuster fired me up. I told her to tell the driver that I am taking him to court.

You could look at F430 bumpers on eBay. Brand New costs $8,000 from Ferrari dealer. Cracked ones cost $3K+. I already have a cracked one. No matter what kind of magic you pull on the bumper, it will show in few years. I live in CA. Sun is brutal. It will show up as my mechanic assured me.

Am I being an as***** ?

24. Sandy Eggo

Sandy Eggo F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 4, 2009
    Encinitas, CA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    I had something similar happen to me once - lucky for me the other party had good coverage levels.

I take it from your last post that you do not have "Underinsured / Uninsured" coverage on your policy?

25. ferralc

ferralc Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 2, 2010
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    #75 ferralc, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
    Before people start saying that the guy deserves it for having a crappy coverage let's think for a second two things:
    1 he was always nice and accepted his responsibility
    2 the guy who has been an ass is the adjuster

I have 100/300/100 coverage in my cars like most "responsible" drivers, what would happen if I crash into a Veyron tomorrow??

I have mixed feelings for the guy he should have had better coverage but at the same time we don't know their financial situation.