Goodbye, ILLinois | Page 11 | FerrariChat

Goodbye, ILLinois

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by spike308, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #251 Rifledriver, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    Well, there's a reason that of all the people that loaded up their wagons and headed to Texas more are from Illinois than any other state. California is second. That surprised me.

2. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

Mike and I are not wrong, you'll love Austin.

In my case I was offered a great opportunity in Florida and we both had been increasingly unhappy in California for many of the same reasons despite both being born and raised there. In the process of doing some due diligence about the move we realized it was really dumb of us to stay in California but Florida was just not a good fit. Austin very quickly became the choice. Everywhere has stuff and no place is perfect but we love it and haven't regretted anything about the decision. One thing every newcomer I have met notices in a few days, it is the most civil and polite place I have ever been. I tell my friends in California it is like waking up and finding yourself in an episode of the Twilight Zone, everyone is friendly and happy.

You'll feel at home, lots of people from Illinois and Chicago area here. My neighbors across the street are from Glen Ellyn.

3. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    The one big advantage of living in Illinois, and perhaps California, anywhere you move is going to be a huge improvement! I grew up in Cali, then spent almost 20 years in Illinois, so glad now that I don't live in either place.

4. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    It's a lot like when you stop hitting yourself in the head with a hammer.

5. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    Well, best of luck in your search!

It's easy to say "I'm leaving". Some of us have a hair trigger.
    Its harder to find a place to go! (especially when you have kids in school, need to work, etc)

Brian is right.
    I've been here almost 2 years now (!!!)
    The native Texans are a hoot.
    LOADS of transplants in the Austin area. Most are hear for similar reasons as me and Brian.... and are happy to be here!
    Its a very positive environment. Lots happening, lots of building, huge expansion (which may be problematic down the road...)

There are many things I miss about Chicago.
    None of them will bring me back for more than a week at a time!

Look forward to meeting you in person sometime, Brian!

6. spike308

spike308 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    Austin TX!
    Full Name:
    Mike Z
    SOME of us are slow learners!

7. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Home scheduled for completion now in November - December 2016
    For our short lives left...we don't care to die in Illinois, happy to say to others neither of us were born here....

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    We recently left downtown for Naperville but the ultimate goal is to leave Illinois altogether. State is broken in so many ways that things will get worse before they get better.

9. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    So very happy to say that I still don't live there anymore. Visitors always welcome here in Montana.

10. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I was and resent that remark.
    If Cook county, it's criminals, politicians and their lemmings cold be removed we'd have a fine place to live.

11. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    #261 JP365, May 31, 2016
    Last edited: May 31, 2016
    +1 I'm a fourth generation Chicagoan and I'll be the first to admit there is a lot wrong with this state. That being said, there's a lot more good in this state than bad. Norbert, I wish you luck and hope you finally find happiness, because the vast majority of your posts are extremely negative.

12. drjekyllmrlee

drjekyllmrlee Rookie

Jan 19, 2011
    Chicago, IL USA
    Full Name:
    Michael
    #262 drjekyllmrlee, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Best of Luck to you doctor

Texas is indeed a great state! As a fellow physician in Chicago, I mirror your thoughts on the sad state of affairs. Been thinking of Texas vs Florida myself. Come back and visit sometime.....we need the tax money! so sad :(

13. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I've been seriously pondering moving to somewhere in Europe next year.

14. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Another post by someone who is too cheap to contribute to the site monetarily. (Sounds negative doesn't it...)

"That being said,there's a lot more good in this state than bad." Would you care to list a few...so I can be a bit positive....Please comment concerning the entire state...

15. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    A friend of mine who is Eastern European, a lady, has lived here for several years. She thought Chicago was one of the best places to live. She just moved to Paris, but it was for her personal outlook on life and living in the World...Still a bit concerned for her overall safety because I don't feel she ever takes that into consideration. Yes, I know there are good parts of a city and bad from a personal safety standpoint, but I too remember when I let my guard down one day because the weather was beautiful and it was the weekend. It ended up costing me a lot of money and a hand to hand fight that I never should have allowed to happen.

16. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    I have known of many experiences here in the States where one always was viewed as an
    "outsider" even though they had moved and lived there for many years...Really, unless it may be an "international city" that may be one of the circumstances that may never go away...(Went with a friend to visit a friend of his for the weekend in another state who had been a Chicago native before...Said that you know if any of us moved here, I felt we would just be fair game as a a joke by the natives to take anything that wasn't nailed down because we would always be viewed as "outsiders"...(Gee another negative post....)

17. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
  18. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    I also have a very dear friend who has lived in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia for many years. She has just moved to Hong Kong. She has just had it with the state of things in that country the way it has been run. So what does that have to do with Illinois...perhaps just read in the newspapers the state we are in financially....Ok financially...feel those who feel everything is all right..maybe they feel they will never be asked to contribute anything more if anything at all....Just may be a future problem...for one to leave now also....

19. JohnnyS

JohnnyS F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2006
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    John
    Welcome to the burbs. Naperville is very nice. I am not sure why you say the state is broken. With a state legislature that submitted a budget to the governor that was 7 billion over tax revenues, what could possibly go wrong? ;)

20. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    Your right...!!!!! How many lint balls out of my pocket will that cost me.....

21. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
  22. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I should clarify, my motivations to leave Illinois have nothing to do with the city, state, country; rather, my desire to immerse myself in another culture entirely. There will be positives and negatives to every place, I ceratainly love Chicago and Illinois especially as I've been here for 31 years now

23. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    We are loving Naperville so far. The downtown is actually a real downtown and not a BoA with a Starbucks and a BP gas station..and our neighbors are all very nice.
    Of course, winter will be different and that is when i might miss the city but it just was no longer financially responsible to stay in the city.

You are right though, the state is not broken. It seems that nowadays every state or country pass or try to pass a budget with a deficit already accounted for. Broken is now the norm...

24. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    #274 norbert, Jun 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    This situation with leaving Illinois is not with much weighing of pros and cons. Carol and I will never experience the convenience of shopping that we have. From West to Northwest, we have every store that we ever normally shop at within three miles driving with the exception of one that I like to purchase cheese at. Our medical care is the best from eyes to all the holes too. We could not have better practices that we have gone to for years. All of that is within 5 miles from us. Family is back here at the moment, but will be moving again with our son-in-law's work.

We care so much about the future of our country, and just do not care to live in such a poorly run state which is run mostly for only the short, narrow mindedness of those who care only about themselves and not the future good of the people they represent who pay for all of their worthless spending for votes. We both realize our lives are nothing in the total future of anything, but we just don't care to accept what we feel the continued future total disappointment of how this state is run will continue to bring.

25. norbert

norbert Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2003
    Charlotte, NC Area
    Full Name:
    Norbert Ertel
    My fraternity brother and best man at our wedding is from Naperville. He and Kathy still have a home there between Florida since 1998. Saw it is the richest town in the U.S. last week by some standard. John, time to be serious. I am the only one permitted levity...once in awhile on this site...!!!