New Top Gear | Page 3 | FerrariChat

New Top Gear

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Igor Ound, Dec 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. V-TWELVE

V-TWELVE Formula 3

Jan 1, 2007
    Vancouver, BC
    Most viewers in the USA don't understand the language. :)

2. Carsonp

Carsonp Formula 3

Sep 29, 2004
    Minnesota - NW subs
    Full Name:
    Carson Partain
    I thought it was ok. I like all of them except Chris Evans so far :eek:.

Not sure if he will be likable and gel or not? Can't trust a guy who paints all of his ferraris white

3. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Not as good as the old top gear to me. Sabinas accent is too thick. Evans tries to hard. Leblanc was good. But the production value is great of course and the cars will be incredible wth Evans manufacturer connections.

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

See #46.

5. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Good catch America junior.....err Canada

:)

6. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I think they are trying hard to cater the show for American audiences. The original was just more British in tone! While the British VS the American Leblanc was ok for the first bits. By the end left me thinking is Matt Leblanc just a guest presenter.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Why is it so long? Edit it down to an hour at most. Cut out the stupid reliant 3 wheel segment completely. Dont have guests who are not car people. And when you do have a celeb who is into cars, with a laf no less, do a proper interview.

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    I believe they are running specials to establish the new presenters. The regular episodes will be an hour.

9. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    When I thought it couldn't get any worse they start the episode with a special on Mclarens!

10. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    I think one can't expect he show to be great from the first episode. It takes time things to gell together nicely. Having said that, my first impressions are that Chris Evans seems lame (he might be trying too hard; why is he so popular in the U.K. by the way?) and Matt LeBlanc was surprisingly good. I also found it shocking Chris Harris got relegated to the after party...

Net net, it's a gain for enthusiasts - old Top Gear will reappear on Amazon only better (they'll really want to prove themselves) and new Top Gear still can turn out to be good. The only loss is that Chris Harris's talents seem to be wasted in this format...

11. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    I watched the first 2 episodes of the new Top Gear.
    Not as bad as some say.
    But they have more or less kept the same format and replaced the actors. No new ideas, it seems.
    It's a parody of Clarkson's previous show.
    I thought Chris Evans was going to bring his own style, but he just tries to walk in Clarkson's shoes.

Matt LeBlanc is a lot better than Chris Evans who screams all the time.

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Wow - don't miss Episode 2 of Extra Gear! :D

There's a bit of it that's really worthwhile. ;)

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Which bit?

14. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    c harris looking over the p4/5c?

if so, that car is several years old already. not really a don't miss episode

15. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    He didn't even get to race it.

Last episode was better without too much Evans. He should just go. Sabine shouting is pretty annoying too

16. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    Getting worse actually. Firing everybody but Matt LeBlanc and Chris Harris might be a good idea...

17. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Episode 3 was really nice with an F12tdf and a beautiful 250TdF (1035GT?).

18. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    It looks even better when compared to jay lenos show. they had kegg 1 to 1, mc f1, lambo periscopo along with a 1/2 mile supercar shootout. despite that fabulous lineup and a first rate comic in leno, it was a total snooze fest

19. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I think the segments on the new series are better. They haven't come down to the level of destroying cars, campers, etc, and calling it entertainment. The new Jag and Rolls segments were well done IMO.

20. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Chris Evans was a bad pick to head the program, too intense, you see how uncomfortable he looks. The rest of the crowd seem to be doing a resonable job but it will never be the same.

21. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I agree! Maybe best line up of vehicles I've ever seen but no excitement whatsoever. he wouldn't give the Segg a go. Let Christian do it. They're on a race track who the hell cares if you push the car hard? Also some of the car prices they flashed on the screen were quite off, which is an absurd mistake to make.

22. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    sack the shouty dude and bring on tiff needell

this show do not need to follow what clarkson, may and hammond did just go back to basic about cars

23. 308steve

308steve Formula Junior

Sep 5, 2010
    Tried it again - unwatchable with the loud skinny guy. Extra gear portion watchable.

24. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Chris Evans is not popular then :D
    What are those boots he has on??? :D

25. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I've watched em all. Sabine is the worst, purely do to her thick accent. She can't be witty. Evans is a close second. He's terrible. Lablanc is better than I'd thought he'd be. Harris is great, genuinely great. But they are all missing the charm of the old show. It's shot beautifully, but the show is not very good. The challenges are now unwatchable because they aren't funny anymore. The interviews are way too structured. Only good part is Leblanc or Harris reviewing super cars. I can get that on YouTube. Oh well, hope the Grand Tour is great.