The Forgotten Supercar | FerrariChat

The Forgotten Supercar

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by NürScud, May 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I saw this interesting video in Kidston's website about the Bugatti EB110 and how the company went bankrupt. But i want to ask something. Who wanted Bugatti 'dead' after their big comeback with the EB110?

Kidston - Films

Christian.Fr likes this.
  2. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm guessing Ferrari and/or Lamborghini who may have put pressure on their suppliers.
    The loose steering racks ?
    Sounds like internal sabotage to me.
    Italian workers could be your best friends or worst enemies.

After the EB110 came out I put together a vacation for my wife, myself, and another couple to visit Italy and eventually the factory. I had an invite from Artioli.
    The morning we were to set off to Bugatti from Florence my buddy's wife decided to go shoe shopping. We waited for her all day. Should have left her.
    I've infrequently been as pissed.

3. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    ^ I would have felt like shopping for a stiletto myself after that!
    I hope the rest of your break was more agreeable.......(((-;

Cheers.

Mark.

4. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    But why? Ferrari and Lamborghini already had their clients a a really well stable name. About the loose steering racks i believe the same thing as you. It seems too difficult to place another, strange person inside the factory..for doing the dirty job.

5. Ferrari_250tdf

Ferrari_250tdf Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2005
    Romano Artioli was the owner of the Ferrari Dealership Autexpo in Bozen/Italy - one of the biggest in the world. After conquering the south German market from there he expanded to Germany, taking a big chunk from the then exclusive Importer Auto Becker in Dusseldorf. Autexpo Germany later became Ferrari of Germany.

You can imagine that Ferrari was not amused when Romano started the Bugatti Project.

No car manufacturer likes if their dealers or suppliers triy to prove how to build and sell a better car. Think about the New Stratos or the Artega projects, both initiated by the owners of automotive suppliers.

6. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    I see your point. Your right. Talking about the new Stratos..it is a really a shame that the car never went in production. It would be a fantastic car!

Btw i found an article from The New York Times which is dates back in November 23, 1995 (!) and talks about Romano Artioli's story and how Bugatti went under. Interesting article though.

Hard Times for a Dream Car's Descendant - NYTimes.com

7. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    I watched it and it has nice sentimental value but the facts are still missing and leads me to speculate that the fault was only on their side.
    Those images show so much opulence and expenses that must have been enormous for a firm which builds only one supercar in numbers well under 100 per year.
    Plus those "crazy italians"! if the car was to be build in France , maybe it could last longer...

8. luke_buzz

luke_buzz Rookie

Jan 20, 2015
    Nottinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Luke Burrows
    I agree that the factory and the technology and the development for the EB110 would have been very expensive, but the company, and the car, were successful at that time. 139 cars were produced, with between 60 and 100 orders to be processed from America, along with the unknown number of orders that were sabotaged.

If this industrial 'espionage' were not to have happened, the company would have survived. It was bringing in money, and was making it too. Being based in France would not have made much difference I don't think. As far as I'm aware, this mystery 'gang' forced Bugatti to close because of how good the car was, it was a leader at the time, and Bugatti had the money an technology to not only develop the EB110 but also other, equally good cars.

9. au-yt

au-yt F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 13, 2006
    Burradoo... Actually
    Full Name:
    Graeme
  10. Luxb1

Luxb1 Karting
    BANNED

Mar 17, 2016
    Monaco
    Full Name:
    J. Konrad
    Sabotage? Maybe. The cars were incredibly well put together and superior to anything comparable on the market.
    The truth is probably not that exciting though: Artioli loaded the company down with a mountain of debt and a slight downturn killed it.

11. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Loved the EB110 and always will. Had a model of it as a kid. That, the F1 and the F50 are my all time top 3. Also unrelated but thinking of these '90's super cars makes me nostalgic, does anyone remember the Ford GT90 concept? I loved that as a kid.

12. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    Something like this, i agree with you among the others.

13. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    Yes remember it being a cover for Need for speed on playstation.

14. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Which one?

NFS, the original had a testarossa and diablo. NFS2 had a red F50. Don't recall the EB110 on another cover.

15. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Need For Speed 2

16. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    #16 TexasF355F1, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. Jo Sta7

Jo Sta7 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 13, 2015
    Scottsdale/Pittsburgh
    Full Name:
    Jon
    The videos that went with each car on that game were so good. Mclaren F1 in green was the king though.

18. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I loved it. I still own it,as well as my PlayStation. :)

19. MM355

MM355 Formula 3

Apr 7, 2008
    GMT + 3
    I mean Ford GT90 on a NFS CD can't remember which one.

20. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    And Dauer bought the remaining parts and built five or so cars. Atleast one was n Sweden andit actually had a Dauer badge instead of Bugatti. I think Edonis had a Bugatti EB110 engine with twin turbos. EB110 had quad (or was ot theother way around).

I thnk that Bugatti went tits up because of the recession

21. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My wife's words after I read your post:
    "Screw her, leave her there and go to see the factory"

22. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    I think Simon Kidston's videos are very enjoyable
    He is a true cinema artist

23. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Sabotage is a good excuse for just plain poor mismanagement.

Too much debt. Too much crazy spending.

VetroresinaNL likes this.