Engine decarbonizing | FerrariChat

Engine decarbonizing

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by vecchio59, Jun 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Does anybody know if this is applicable to our carbed V12 ?

Inviato dal mio SM-N910F utilizzando Tapatalk

2. Il Tifoso

Il Tifoso Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 22, 2013
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ruben
    Ciao Marco. You-a justa takea her out on the freeway-a and rev-a the crap outa her... (in an Italian accent).

It's called an "Italian Tune Up" on these shores. :) Both of my Ferraris (and non-Ferraris too) get this on a regular basis... Not only is it fun, but they do seem to run better afterwards.

Enjoy!

Ruben

3. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    😂😂😂😂😂😂
    Love the Italian Tune Up !
    Local police may have a different view, though 😎
    Btw, congratulations for your Italian accent... with that special West Coast touch...

4. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #4 166&456, Jun 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    Decarbonizing is usually only needed if an engine "diesels" after shutdown (keeps on running erratically at hot shutdown). This symptom can happen on any carbed engine (with electronic injection the fuel to diesel lacks, yet but carbon may still be present). Carbon builds up especially if the car is not run very often or just short distances every time.
    A good long run can do this trick. Italian tuneup style with high speed might work if done later on, but definitely avoid that especially the beginning as you will likely get high speed knock and ruin a piston or two. Use very high quality gas if you suspect this issue to be present and be gentle at least at first. Knowing what to listen for helps a great deal (knocking noise does not sound like knocking... far from it in fact).

Actually the "better running" that you feel after a car has had some good use comes from three things, as per my own personal experience. One is better sealing valves and piston rings, second is better braking and tyre/wheelbearing action after some use, and third one is psychological as you become used to that car again and begin to (re)like its traits.

5. vecchio59

vecchio59 Karting

Nov 25, 2011
    Savona, NW Italy
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Thank you all.
    I had no feeling of any bad symptom, at least for now.
    Talked with an expert who recommended not to decarbonize our old precious V12... Will follow his suggestion 😎

6. URAS

URAS Formula Junior

Oct 17, 2014
    Canada
    Full Name:
    vince
    Only in the context of this thread, is this necessary on the average car? Nothing in the various owners manuals. I recently took of the head of my 88 BMW 735i, 300,000 km and man it looked clean liked it left the factory 10k ago. I am not sure addative stuff really works. Asking as a non mechanic so no disrespect to sea foam and those other users. I had a 96 Ford F-150 with > 900,000 km until I called the wreckers earlier this year, and I never Used anything. Either you drive it and everything works or something is wrong and you need a short term fix!