Maserati Indy thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maserati Indy thread

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by ignominus, Dec 24, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bob86846

bob86846 Rookie

Sep 28, 2009
    Woodstock Ontario CA
    Full Name:
    Bob McLeod
    Anyone have a source for replacement struts for the rear hatch on the INDY?
    TKS/Bob

2. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Ignominus,

The Alcantara type on the dash is also known as mousehair and was standard on the Indy America (series2 dashboard) and the 4900 (series3 dashboard) I know that Maseratinet got this in stock.

On the early 4200/4700 (series1 octogonal dashboard) the dashboard was covered with leatherette/vinyl.

FYI I have seen two Indy4900 and one Indy America that (most likely) have been delivered with leatherette/ vinyl dashboardtop. I say most likely since the rest of the interiors were still original and the vinyl was old and cracked.

An excellent thread about the moushair you can find here: http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/206-246/320876-mousehair-dash.html

Kind regards

Kim
    NORSK MASERATI KLUBB

3. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Thanks Kim. That's very interesting. My 4900 (no octogonal dashboard) has the leatherette dashboard top which and its original. Fortunately it is untouched. Another friend has the mousehair top on a same 4900 (not america)

4. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Ingominus,

Have you spoken with Stuart and his colleagues at Maserati Club, Maserati Parts, MIE Corp. MaseratiNet Store for the glovebox opener? I believe they have a parted car in their storage, not sure of its interior but believe it was a 4700 or 4900 engined car. Maseratisource is also someone I would have contacted as well as checked with Cadena, Eurospares and eventually Candini.

If you strike out on those sources, let me know and I will see what it would take to make a set of new parts basis my opener. It's a very simple construction with few moving parts.

Kind regards

Kim
    NORSK MASERATI KLUBB

5. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Thanks Kim,
    I tried them but unfortunately they don't have it... Thanks for the lead though !

6. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Hello,

I am wondering if anyone here is able to shed some light on who actually designed the Indy at Vignale.

I've been under the impression that it was Giovanni Michelotti that penned the majority of the design for the Indy.

I have seen Virginio Vairo mentioned several times with the Indy on different stories on the internet but his design style is to me looking more squarish oriented that compares perfectly with his superb Mexico design, while Michelotti's pen had the flowing "female" lines with the sharp edges that matches with the Indy.

A third person Elio Mainardi is also said to have had something to do with the design of the Indy.

If any of you Maserati History people here could share your thoughts on this, it would be super.

Kind regards

Kim

7. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    #32 ignominus, Apr 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Hi Kim,

I always asked myself this question, given the inconsistent information available out there... Any expert knowledge would be more than welcome !

9. patrikgudmundsater

BANNED

Jul 4, 2008
    Stockholm
    Full Name:
    Patrik Gudmundsäter
    I have owned 4 Maserati Indy.
    4,7 America
    4,9 2 of them.
    Great cars.If they are well maintained!
    Look out for rust!And dodgy Electrics!
    Engines and Gearboxes are generally reliable.
    But most cars needs work.
    Check the rubberseals on the front windshield.They usually needs to be changed,and
    it gets in rainwater under the dash!
    Not all 4,2 has Servo for the steering.Its a desirable option(as on Ghibli and early Mexico)

Regards
    Patrik
    Maseratisti Svezia

10. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    #35 ignominus, Jun 17, 2016
    Hello All,
    I own own a '73 4900, with Senape interior. As you can see from the picture, there is something weird. Under the glovebox, there is a clearer carpet in pure whool (beige). The rest of the car is in rust-color acrylic. I am told that both are original maserati carpets. Can anyone confirm or be able to post pics of senape interior so that I can see? Generaly, I would prefer to have whool carpets, but I may keep the current carpets if it is right that they are original...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
  12. Mexico074

Mexico074 Formula 3

Aug 14, 2008
    Harriman, TN USA
    Full Name:
    Michael Demyanovich
  13. pnorell

pnorell Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 24, 2015
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Very nice looking car - non-matching number but has the 4.9 engine.

14. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    #39 AM1220552, Jan 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Ignominus, happy new year!

I believe the beige wool carpet is the original while the acrylic has been replaced at a later time in your car.

In regards to the floor fasteners of the acrylic carpet, they are different shape than for my Indy 4900 that had original carpets when I started the restoration.

I'll see if i can upload some pictures from home later tonight.

I have the same beige (though a tad lighter brown than your wool carpet and I have different shade of piping on them. I've found a very close match to the carpet, the difficulty is finding the rubber insert with the tridente for the front passenger side. I will replace with a square beige rubber insert that you can see laying on top of the original carpets (I believe they are QP3 that I obtained from Italy) for both the front carpet footwells.

Kind regards

Kim

15. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    #41 AM1220552, Jan 2, 2017
    and these,

For what it's worth, I ended up using nappa leather in a senape color (shown on the blue Mistral carpet laying on top) for the outer border (piping) of the carpets, I wasn't able to find the exact same leatherette structure and colour as was used from the factory, but thus was close enough!

One thing to observe from these pictures is that the color of the trunk carpets has gone completely white, I believe from sun exposure while the rest of the interior is closer to camel\beige. I decided to use the colour that I could match to what I found underneath the leatherette piping that had not been exposed to sun or dirt when ordering new carpets.

on the previous post you see that the right side footwell rubber is not square like it is on the driver side as I mentioned earlier.

Kind regards

Kim

16. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    #42 AM1220552, Jan 2, 2017
  17. Longstone Tyres

Longstone Tyres Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 2, 2006
    Full Name:
    Dougal
  18. rentsch1961

rentsch1961 Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain RENTSCH
    Hi,
    I need an owner's manual for an early Indy (twin binnacles dashboard).

I am mainly interested in the pages showing the functions of the controls on the dashboard (which does what?)

Does anybody have this and would be kind enough to scan this pages for me?

Thank you, Alain.

19. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
  20. rentsch1961

rentsch1961 Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain RENTSCH
    Hi Kim,
    Thank you for your answer.
    The manual which is on Ivan's site shows only the later Ghibli style dashboard.

When the Indy 4.2 was launched, it had for sure a specific manual.
    But I don't have seen one yet...
    Alain.

21. rentsch1961

rentsch1961 Karting

Oct 22, 2012
    Geneva, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Alain RENTSCH
    #47 rentsch1961, Mar 2, 2017
  22. AM1220552

AM1220552 Karting

May 25, 2012
    Lets hope one of the early Indy owners here have it laying around, it would be good to get it scanned and included on Ivan's list of manuals.

E.Thiesen has an Indy 4200 offered, it looks complete, maybe you could try giving them a call to hear if that car has the manual and ask if they could be kind and scan it for you?

https://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/maserati/indy/1970/444895

(Looking at the picture 5 and 6 in the link above one would think that this Indy has been modified with Citroen LHM variable suspension...but it's more likely that it's somebody that's been playing around in photoshop to lower the car to a "modern" stance..)

Kind regards

Kim

23. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Indeed, I saw that difference in the height of the car in pic 5 and 6. Quite astonishing... Probably photoshop. In any case, it shouldn't be very difficult to lower the suspension of an Indy.

24. ignominus

ignominus Karting

Sep 6, 2013